[Fwd: Re: New plugin support]

Andreas.Raab

(forwarded Josh's response)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Vm-dev] New plugin support
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:57:03 -0700
From: Joshua Gargus <[hidden email]>
To: Andreas Raab <[hidden email]>
CC: Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion
<[hidden email]>
<[hidden email]>

No problems with the GStreamerPlugin so far.

Josh

On Apr 22, 2008, at 9:15 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Josh was just looking at GStreamer. I don't think he has any
> problems but just in case I'm cc-ing him for comments.
>
>  - A.
>
> Ian Piumarta wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm about to commit (add) cross-platform directories to support
>> GStreamerPlugin and OggPlugin.  If anyone thinks this is a bad
>> idea, please speak now.
>> (FYI: the unix tree will also be getting ClipboardExtendedPlugin,
>> DBusPlugin, RomePlugin and ImmX11Plugin in the same commit.)
>> Cheers,
>> Ian

Re: [Fwd: Re: New plugin support]

johnmci

He is helpfully cleaning up things, it was rushed a bit since it went
from a paper idea to a plugin, api, sunits, and a player in a three
week period
on the macintosh and OLPC.

So he's refactoring now, but that won't affect anything in the source
tree.
I *had* tried to avoid any source files but was force to make the
squeakAudioVideoPipeLineSignalInterface./c/h ones to support callbacks
for media source/sink interfacing to squeak.
Those would be cross platform.

I have no plans to provide any macintosh specific files since the
process of installing gstreamer on os-x is non-trivial. Well it is
trivial if you consider os-x to be a unix system
and you are happy with using the BSD Ports system to install a hundred
or so unix components, which might be the case if you wanting a fully
configured X11 based unix which happens to
be a macintosh....

Obviously this is a high hurdle for a macintosh etoy user to deal
with, and requires using of a Terminal session, and debugging when the
installation goes wrong, which it does...

However I understand installing GStreamer on Windows is less invasive?

--
=
=

GStreamer

Bert Freudenberg

There is a Windows binary bundle on the GStreamer download site:

        http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download/

How hard would it be to include all GStreamer OS X libs in the
GStreamer plugin? If we had one media playback solution for all
platforms, that would be awesome ...

- Bert -

On 22.04.2008, at 20:43, John M McIntosh wrote:

> He is helpfully cleaning up things, it was rushed a bit since it
> went from a paper idea to a plugin, api, sunits, and a player in a
> three week period
> on the macintosh and OLPC.
>
> So he's refactoring now, but that won't affect anything in the
> source tree.
> I *had* tried to avoid any source files but was force to make the
> squeakAudioVideoPipeLineSignalInterface./c/h ones to support
> callbacks for media source/sink interfacing to squeak.
> Those would be cross platform.
>
> I have no plans to provide any macintosh specific files since the
> process of installing gstreamer on os-x is non-trivial. Well it is
> trivial if you consider os-x to be a unix system
> and you are happy with using the BSD Ports system to install a
> hundred or so unix components, which might be the case if you
> wanting a fully configured X11 based unix which happens to
> be a macintosh....
>
> Obviously this is a high hurdle for a macintosh etoy user to deal
> with, and requires using of a Terminal session, and debugging when
> the installation goes wrong, which it does...
>

> However I understand installing GStreamer on Windows is less invasive?
>

> On Apr 22, 2008, at 11:24 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> (forwarded Josh's response)

Re: GStreamer

johnmci

On Apr 22, 2008, at 11:50 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> There is a Windows binary bundle on the GStreamer download site:
>
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/download/
>
> How hard would it be to include all GStreamer OS X libs in the
> GStreamer plugin? If we had one media playback solution for all
> platforms, that would be awesome ...
>
> - Bert -

Well to install Gstreamer on os-x that required installing all these
packages below.  I did consider oh, well maybe you could static link a
binary....
However this only is the install of the *GOOD* GStreamer plugins, so
it won't support MP3/MPEG   For that you need to install the *BAD*
plugins
and that's lots more software.

Still I'm not clear about the pain to get GStreamer installed on
Windows?

   aalib @1.4rc5_2 (active)
   atk @1.20.0_1 (active)
   audiofile @0.2.6_1 (active)