[Fwd: Re: Problem encountered when reading help files]

[Fwd: Re: Problem encountered when reading help files]

Jerry Henderson
After watching the Bug/Fix screencast in the Mantis docs, I have gone ahead and submitted a fix for this issue, appending same to #7299 along with a note on the fix.

--
Jerry

Jerry Henderson jerry.henderson at verizon.net
Thu Feb 19 06:30:37 UTC 2009

SequenceableCollection>>last answers the last element of the receiver,
and is implemented as:
       ^ self at: self size.

It is an index error, when size is 0.

I assume this is a design choice, rather than a bug; but I'm too new to
know. Anyway, in 3.10.2, when I tried the menu path
"World::Help::Preferences::Help!", it threw the exception, apparently
because of an empty aHelpString. So I guess either
Preferences>>giveHelpWithPreferences should be checking for empty
stings, or the source data (the help strings) are improperly formatted.
I didn't know what else to do with my new found knowledge, so here I am.

--
Jerry

***

Re: [Fwd: Re: Problem encountered when reading help files]

Jerome Peace

> From: Jerry Henderson <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Newbies] [Fwd: Re: Problem encountered when reading help files]
>
> After watching the Bug/Fix screencast in the Mantis docs, I
> have gone
> ahead and submitted a fix for this issue, appending same to
> #7299 along
> with a note on the fix.<br>

> Jerry
> -------

Hi Jerry,

Good work.

I also encourage you to add a sUnit test that fails before the patch
and passes after. It helps assure the harvesters that the patch works. It also provides an alert if at some future time someone breaks the patch. For examples look at other tests.
====
In a work space type the word test.
Select it and do a cmd-shift-w .
That will bring up all methods with test in them.
The ones that start with test... are usually sUnit tests.
Look at them and mimic one that is close.