Fwd: Re: Smalltalk: Requiem or Resurgence? {Dr. Dobb's Journal (05/06/06) Chan, Jeremy}

1 message Options

Fwd: Re: Smalltalk: Requiem or Resurgence? {Dr. Dobb's Journal (05/06/06) Chan, Jeremy}

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

===================================
  > If you try to mimic the OS native interface, it's only a defensive
strategy,
> by construction something imperfect and always one version late...
> You're wasting development forces to follow the leaders, and don't
invent
> anymore in this domain...

  +1  thank you Nicolas for nailing my sentiments about native widget
emulation.

  The goal should be good looking, easy-to-use interfaces.  Innovate,
don't
emulate.

  I must admit, I've never understood why some are so concerned with
native look
and feel anyway.
===================================

Just in case, please do NOT include me in that group.  I have little
interest in native anything.  I _do_ need to be able to let clerks be
clerks.  They type all day and live by keyboard shortcuts.  Anything
that does not allow, for example, tabbing between fields, will end up in
the cosmic scrap heap.

===================================
Why is it such a big deal if the drop-shadow on my buttons
appears lower-left instead of lower-right (this is a made up example, is
there a
better one)?
===================================

Perhaps the changes in the system buttons on xp vs. 9x/nt/2k.  Aside
from being ugly IMHO, they serve exactly the same purpose as the
comparatively simple and elegant widgets they replace.

===================================
  Frankly, I also wonder about those who feel "blocked" by Squeaks
"weird" look
and feel.  It's basically the same as anything else as far as I can
tell.  You
have lists, buttons, scroll-bars, text editors, etc.  They're styled a
bit
differently than native windows but operate pretty much the same.  These
widget
differences are like the differences between driving a Ford vs a Chevy,
not
much, and most anyone is able to figure it out.
===================================

I must respectfully disagree.  As delivered, the lists steal the input
focus when they are not expected to do so.  I've tried to address that
in an entry on Mantis.  The prompters are a little strange too, though I
would need to find or create some type of modal dialog framework and
would use that in place of FillInTheBlank.  Modes are bad?  Perhaps, but
for my users, they are essential, otherwise one complex task would be
slit between two or three instances of one dialog - trust me =:0

Please note that I am not complaining for myself - I know what I would
hear from end users.

Bill