Fwd: [squeak-dev] Image crashes just after start-up

Fwd: [squeak-dev] Image crashes just after start-up

johnmci

fyi

Begin forwarded message:

--
=
=

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Image crashes just after start-up

Andreas.Raab

One thing that comes to mind is that there have been BitBlt versions
been flying around a while ago (distributed with the Freetype stuff). It
would be worthwhile to remove *all* DLLs/SOs next to the Squeak VM to
make sure none of these is accidentally picked up.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

John M McIntosh wrote:

> fyi
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>> From: David Röthlisberger <[hidden email]>
>> Date: April 16, 2008 1:15:57 AM PDT (CA)
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Image crashes just after start-up
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>>> Ok, so does this VM work with a base image, or it only a problem with
>>> your image?
>>
>> The VM works well with a normal image, it's only a problem with this
>> specific image.
>> And even for that image it worked well for a couple of weeks. Then I
>> implemented an
>> application drawing a graph on a BalloonCanvas. Whenever I execute
>> this application,
>> the image crashes. Sometimes directly after starting the application,
>> but in most
>> cases I can use the app without problems, but when I then save the
>> image after having
>> executed one specific feature, it crashes on image start-up.
>> I could track the error down to the method FormCanvas >>
>> drawString:from:to:in:font:
>> color:.
>> Whenever this method gets executed with some specific parameters, then
>> the crash will
>> happen. It seems to me that the bounds parameter has corrupt data, eg.
>> numbers not
>> properly stored. But how this happens I don't know.
>>

>>> usually points to a problem with the VM crashing either because the
>>> image is corrupt or you
>>> have corrupted memory via an FFI call, or perhaps passing bad data to
>>> the sound system.
>>
>> I don't use FFI, neither I pass data to the sound system, so probably
>> this means that
>> the image is corrupt. I guess that some objects get created that are
>> corrupt. But why
>> can this happen?
>>
>>> I also note you run Application Enhancer, perhaps turn that off and
>>> see if it changes anything?
>>
>> ok, I turned it off, but this doesn't make a difference.
>>

>> David

> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Re: Fwd: [squeak-dev] Image crashes just after start-up

johnmci

For os-x this would be

BitBltPlugin.bundle

which is NOT distributed by default, and would be either in a Plugins
folder by the app, or in the Resource folder within the *.app if the
user
stuck it in there, or perhaps the VM is coming from some third party.

--
=
=