GT Inspector: Set Presenter Width

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Why the restriction that columns be equal? Several times I've wished that I could set the width of each column. IMHO it would be a very useful feature to at least default to equal with the ability to drag, if not ideally some smart width calculation based on the width of the information displayed.
Cheers,
Sean

Re: GT Inspector: Set Presenter Width

Tudor Girba-2
You can specify the width with selectors like
GLMTablePresentation>>column:evaluated:width:

Doru

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 1:45 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Why the restriction that columns be equal? Several times I've wished that I
could set the width of each column. IMHO it would be a very useful feature
to at least default to equal with the ability to drag, if not ideally some
smart width calculation based on the width of the information displayed.

-----
Cheers,
Sean

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GT Inspector: Set Presenter Width

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Tudor Girba-2 wrote
You can specify the width with selectors like
GLMTablePresentation>>column:evaluated:width:
My use case is exploring models which I may not own. As an inspector user, I want to adjust the presenter width so that I can better see the info relevant to me!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: GT Inspector: Set Presenter Width

Ben Coman
On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 8:11 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Tudor Girba-2 wrote
>> You can specify the width with selectors like
>> GLMTablePresentation>>column:evaluated:width:
>
> My use case is exploring models which I may not own.

+1

> As an inspector user, I
> want to adjust the presenter width so that I can better see the info
> relevant to me!
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: GT Inspector: Set Presenter Width

Tudor Girba-2
Sure. I too would want a better table widget, but MorphTreeMorph has its limitations when it comes to auto-adjusting column widths.

In any case, it is possible to resize the column widths through drag and drop. Perhaps one thing we should take into account would be to remember the preferred widths for a specific presentation.

Cheers,
Doru

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 2:11 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tudor Girba-2 wrote
> You can specify the width with selectors like
> GLMTablePresentation>>column:evaluated:width:

My use case is exploring models which I may not own. As an inspector user, I
want to adjust the presenter width so that I can better see the info
relevant to me!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GT Inspector: Set Presenter Width

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Tudor Girba-2 wrote
MorphTreeMorph has its limitations when it comes to auto-adjusting column widths.
I'm confused, where does MorphTreeMorph come into it?

I'm asking to be able to move the vertical separator between the two halo-ed panes in the screenshot to the left or right, and (at minimum) have it stay where I put it as long as that playground is open. Was that clear? I feel like we may be talking about two different things, or maybe I'm just not understanding!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: GT Inspector: Set Presenter Width

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Indeed, I thought you referred to the table presentation :). Sorry.

And indeed, the resizing is not particularly smart, but it was the best we could manage within the time constraints. In fact, there is a support for a Finder with variable pane sizes, but there were problems with the scrolling and it did not fit well with the path (the dots at the bottom).

However, this is a top priority for us in the near future. It's holidays time now, but I think in some months we will see a new solution in this space.

Cheers,
Doru

Tudor Girba-2 wrote

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4834983/Screenshot_2015-06-30_15.png>

I'm asking to be able to move the vertical separator between the two halo-ed
panes in the screenshot to the left or right, and (at minimum) have it stay
where I put it as long as that playground is open. Was that clear? I feel
like we may be talking about two different things, or maybe I'm just not
understanding!

-----
Cheers,
Sean

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: GT Inspector: Set Presenter Width

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Tudor Girba-2 wrote
this is a top priority for us in the near future
Cool :) It's a testament to how fantastic GT is that I even need this! I've stopped creating UIs for most of my internal projects - I just use a combination of GT and Magritte - so I yearn for features that are, in all fairness, far beyond what one might reasonably expect from an "inspector" ;)

Luckily, there are really only two limitations I keep bumping against: lack of resizable panes, and a sane way to deal with morphs (e.g. scrolling, zooming).
Cheers,
Sean