Gary's UI Enhancements

Brian Brown-2
Hello all!

I have been using the UI enhancements, and found that it isn't
actually closing system windows - especially debugger windows. If I
run code like:

  (Debugger allInstances collect: [:d | d dependents detect: [:i | i
isKindOf: SystemWindow]]) do: [:w | w openInWorld]

I was getting 7 or 8 debugger windows popping up on the screen, they
just wouldn't close. I had to start over with a fresh image and load
my code. Now that I'm not using the UI enhancements, I don't have
this issue, but I sure miss them!

- Brian

Re: Gary's UI Enhancements

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Brian,

There is clearly a dependence on #topWindow or whatever it is, and I
have never quite had the time to figure out where it lives; it must be
something that Gary installs as part of his base image.  The pre-built
dev image (Damian's work???) will probably treat you better.

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:11 AM, Bill Schwab wrote:

> Brian,
>
> There is clearly a dependence on #topWindow or whatever it is, and I
> have never quite had the time to figure out where it lives; it must be
> something that Gary installs as part of his base image.  The pre-built
> dev image (Damian's work???) will probably treat you better.

I was using Damien's image, but before this last release when the UI
enhancements are default - I installed it using the Package Universe
browser in the Dev image.

- Brian

> Bill
>

> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
> University of Florida
> Department of Anesthesiology
> PO Box 100254
> Gainesville, FL 32610-0254
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Tel: (352) 846-1285
> FAX: (352) 392-7029

> Hello all!
>
> I have been using the UI enhancements, and found that it isn't
> actually closing system windows - especially debugger windows. If I
> run code like:
>
>   (Debugger allInstances collect: [:d | d dependents detect: [:i | i
> isKindOf: SystemWindow]]) do: [:w | w openInWorld]
>
> I was getting 7 or 8 debugger windows popping up on the screen, they
> just wouldn't close. I had to start over with a fresh image and load
> my code. Now that I'm not using the UI enhancements, I don't have
> this issue, but I sure miss them!
>
> - Brian

Re: Gary's UI Enhancements

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Brian,

Did you use the beta image?  The older images might have the same
problem I have had.  Great news that it is now the default!

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [hidden email] 10/03/07 12:15 PM >>>

On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:11 AM, Bill Schwab wrote:

> Brian,
>
> There is clearly a dependence on #topWindow or whatever it is, and I
> have never quite had the time to figure out where it lives; it must be
> something that Gary installs as part of his base image.  The pre-built
> dev image (Damian's work???) will probably treat you better.

I was using Damien's image, but before this last release when the UI
enhancements are default - I installed it using the Package Universe
browser in the Dev image.

- Brian

> Bill
>

> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
> University of Florida
> Department of Anesthesiology
> PO Box 100254
> Gainesville, FL 32610-0254
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Tel: (352) 846-1285
> FAX: (352) 392-7029

> Hello all!
>
> I have been using the UI enhancements, and found that it isn't
> actually closing system windows - especially debugger windows. If I
> run code like:
>
>   (Debugger allInstances collect: [:d | d dependents detect: [:i | i
> isKindOf: SystemWindow]]) do: [:w | w openInWorld]
>
> I was getting 7 or 8 debugger windows popping up on the screen, they
> just wouldn't close. I had to start over with a fresh image and load
> my code. Now that I'm not using the UI enhancements, I don't have
> this issue, but I sure miss them!
>
> - Brian

Re: Gary's UI Enhancements

Brian Brown-2
Yes, I've been using the beta images for a while :)

- Brian

On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:52 AM, Bill Schwab wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Did you use the beta image?  The older images might have the same
> problem I have had.  Great news that it is now the default!
>
> Bill
>

> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
> University of Florida
> Department of Anesthesiology
> PO Box 100254
> Gainesville, FL 32610-0254
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Tel: (352) 846-1285
> FAX: (352) 392-7029

> On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:11 AM, Bill Schwab wrote:
>
>> Brian,
>>
>> There is clearly a dependence on #topWindow or whatever it is, and I
>> have never quite had the time to figure out where it lives; it
>> must be
>> something that Gary installs as part of his base image.  The pre-
>> built
>> dev image (Damian's work???) will probably treat you better.
>
> I was using Damien's image, but before this last release when the UI
> enhancements are default - I installed it using the Package Universe
> browser in the Dev image.
>
> - Brian
>

>> Bill
>>

>> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
>> University of Florida
>> Department of Anesthesiology
>> PO Box 100254
>> Gainesville, FL 32610-0254
>>
>> Email: [hidden email]
>> Tel: (352) 846-1285
>> FAX: (352) 392-7029

>> Hello all!
>>
>> I have been using the UI enhancements, and found that it isn't
>> actually closing system windows - especially debugger windows. If I
>> run code like:
>>
>>   (Debugger allInstances collect: [:d | d dependents detect: [:i | i
>> isKindOf: SystemWindow]]) do: [:w | w openInWorld]
>>
>> I was getting 7 or 8 debugger windows popping up on the screen, they
>> just wouldn't close. I had to start over with a fresh image and load
>> my code. Now that I'm not using the UI enhancements, I don't have
>> this issue, but I sure miss them!
>>
>> - Brian

Re: Gary's UI Enhancements

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Brian,

Then I am officially stumped, and will let those with some idea of what
might be happening take over :)

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

>>> [hidden email] 10/03/07 1:00 PM >>>
Yes, I've been using the beta images for a while :)

- Brian

On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:52 AM, Bill Schwab wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Did you use the beta image?  The older images might have the same
> problem I have had.  Great news that it is now the default!
>
> Bill
>

> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
> University of Florida
> Department of Anesthesiology
> PO Box 100254
> Gainesville, FL 32610-0254
>
> Email: [hidden email]
> Tel: (352) 846-1285
> FAX: (352) 392-7029

> On Oct 3, 2007, at 10:11 AM, Bill Schwab wrote:
>
>> Brian,
>>
>> There is clearly a dependence on #topWindow or whatever it is, and I
>> have never quite had the time to figure out where it lives; it
>> must be
>> something that Gary installs as part of his base image.  The pre-
>> built
>> dev image (Damian's work???) will probably treat you better.
>
> I was using Damien's image, but before this last release when the UI
> enhancements are default - I installed it using the Package Universe
> browser in the Dev image.
>
> - Brian
>

>> Bill
>>

>> Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
>> University of Florida
>> Department of Anesthesiology
>> PO Box 100254
>> Gainesville, FL 32610-0254
>>
>> Email: [hidden email]
>> Tel: (352) 846-1285
>> FAX: (352) 392-7029

>> Hello all!
>>
>> I have been using the UI enhancements, and found that it isn't
>> actually closing system windows - especially debugger windows. If I
>> run code like:
>>
>>   (Debugger allInstances collect: [:d | d dependents detect: [:i | i
>> isKindOf: SystemWindow]]) do: [:w | w openInWorld]
>>
>> I was getting 7 or 8 debugger windows popping up on the screen, they
>> just wouldn't close. I had to start over with a fresh image and load
>> my code. Now that I'm not using the UI enhancements, I don't have
>> this issue, but I sure miss them!
>>
>> - Brian

Re: Gary's UI Enhancements

Gary Chambers-5
Could you explain more explicitly what the problem is and under which
circumstances it occurs?

Given that in normal circumstances
        Debugger allInstances == #()

If your debugger instances dissapear after doing Smalltalk garbageCollect  a
few times then there is no real problem, I think, otherwise it is possibly
something to do with the taskbar.

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 4:17 pm, Brian Brown wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I have been using the UI enhancements, and found that it isn't
> actually closing system windows - especially debugger windows. If I
> run code like:
>
>   (Debugger allInstances collect: [:d | d dependents detect: [:i | i
> isKindOf: SystemWindow]]) do: [:w | w openInWorld]
>
> I was getting 7 or 8 debugger windows popping up on the screen, they
> just wouldn't close. I had to start over with a fresh image and load
> my code. Now that I'm not using the UI enhancements, I don't have
> this issue, but I sure miss them!
>
> - Brian

Pinesoft Computers are registered in England, Registered number: 2914825. Registered office: 266-268 High Street, Waltham Cross, Herts, EN8 7EA

Re: Gary's UI Enhancements

Brian Brown-2

On Oct 4, 2007, at 3:53 AM, Gary Chambers wrote:

> Could you explain more explicitly what the problem is and under which
> circumstances it occurs?
>
> Given that in normal circumstances
> Debugger allInstances == #()
>
> If your debugger instances dissapear after doing Smalltalk
> garbageCollect  a
> few times then there is no real problem, I think, otherwise it is
> possibly
> something to do with the taskbar.

No amount of garbage collecting has any affect on it, I just noticed
that my image was 40 mb bigger than it should have been and so was
doing some investigation and asked Pavel Krivanek to help me and he
found that System Windows were not actually going away when closed,
they just stay around. It could have been taskbar, but turning it off
has no effect on the situation... I'll get with Pavel and we give you
details of what was found, I don't have the image laying around right
now, so I'll dig it up.

Thanks,

Brian