GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1-32x not working with GS 3.2.8.1

GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1-32x not working with GS 3.2.8.1

Alejandro Zuzek
Hi,

I have tried to use the latest version of GemTools (1.0-beta.8.7.1) to connect to a GS 3.2.8.1 server and the login fails with this error description:

'Unable to create a GemStone session, check netldi log file.
Netldi ''gs64ldi'' on host ''ubuntu'' reports the request '''' failed:
Requested version level 3020, this server is at level 3022'

If I've followed the code correctly, the error is returned by a primitive and I think the libraries would need to be recompiled to work with GS 3.2.8.1.

Is there a new reléase of GemTools planned shortly or should I switch to tODE?

Thanks,

Alejandro

Re: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1-32x not working with GS 3.2.8.1

GLASS mailing list

On 9/17/15 7:44 PM, Alejandro Zuzek via Glass wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tried to use the latest version of GemTools (1.0-beta.8.7.1) to
> connect to a GS 3.2.8.1 server and the login fails with this error
>
> 'Unable to create a GemStone session, check netldi log file.
> Netldi ''gs64ldi'' on host ''ubuntu'' reports the request '''' failed:
> Requested version level 3020, this server is at level 3022'
The gci libraries need to be updated ... assuming that you are running
on linux, you can update the gci libraries by doing the following:

   # exit the GemTools image
   cd GemTools-1.0-beta.8.7-3*.app/Contents/Linux686
   rm gciForLinux.so
   cp
$GS_HOME/gemstone/products/GemStone64Bit3.2.8.1-x86_64.Linux/lib32/*.so .
   ln -s libgcirpc-3.3.0-32.so gciForLinux.so
   # restart the GemTools image

> If I've followed the code correctly, the error is returned by a primitive
> and I think the libraries would need to be recompiled to work with GS
> 3.2.8.1.
>
> Is there a new reléase of GemTools planned shortly or should I switch to
> tODE?
No new releases planned for GemTools but the above instructions should
get you functional again. If you are comfortable with GemTools then I
would suggest that you continue using it for now ... I plan to release a
new version of GsDevKitHome by mid-November which includes a new version
of tODE and between now and the release I am restructuring project
structure (see GsDevKit_* on github://GsDevKit), so it might be best to
hold off for a bit ... if you are interested in moving to tODE anyway,
then go ahead and take it for a spin ...

Dale

Re: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1-32x not working with GS 3.2.8.1

GLASS mailing list
On second thought I think that a new version of GemTools is needed to
run with 3.2.x and 3.3.x and I have some code that I need to publish ...
but you'll have to wait for that until tomorrow...

I don't plan on releasing a new version of the GemTools one-click....

Dale

On 9/17/15 9:39 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> On 9/17/15 7:44 PM, Alejandro Zuzek via Glass wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have tried to use the latest version of GemTools (1.0-beta.8.7.1) to
>> connect to a GS 3.2.8.1 server and the login fails with this error
>>
>> 'Unable to create a GemStone session, check netldi log file.
>> Netldi ''gs64ldi'' on host ''ubuntu'' reports the request '''' failed:
>> Requested version level 3020, this server is at level 3022'
> The gci libraries need to be updated ... assuming that you are running
> on linux, you can update the gci libraries by doing the following:
>
>   # exit the GemTools image
>   cd GemTools-1.0-beta.8.7-3*.app/Contents/Linux686
>   rm gciForLinux.so
>   cp
> $GS_HOME/gemstone/products/GemStone64Bit3.2.8.1-x86_64.Linux/lib32/*.so .
>   ln -s libgcirpc-3.3.0-32.so gciForLinux.so
>   # restart the GemTools image
>>
>> If I've followed the code correctly, the error is returned by a
>> primitive
>> and I think the libraries would need to be recompiled to work with GS
>> 3.2.8.1.
>>
>> Is there a new reléase of GemTools planned shortly or should I switch to
>> tODE?
> No new releases planned for GemTools but the above instructions should
> get you functional again. If you are comfortable with GemTools then I
> would suggest that you continue using it for now ... I plan to release
> a new version of GsDevKitHome by mid-November which includes a new
> version of tODE and between now and the release I am restructuring
> project structure (see GsDevKit_* on github://GsDevKit), so it might
> be best to hold off for a bit ... if you are interested in moving to
> tODE anyway, then go ahead and take it for a spin ...
>
> Dale

Re: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1-32x not working with GS 3.2.8.1

GLASS mailing list
Alejandro,

It turns out that iI was mistaken - I did update GemTools with support
for GemStone 3.3 - you should be using at least GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1
for use with GemStone 3.2.x (1.0-beta.8.7.2 will work with GemStone 3.3
when it is released) ...

Sorry about the misinformation,

Dale

On 09/17/2015 09:59 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> On second thought I think that a new version of GemTools is needed to
> run with 3.2.x and 3.3.x and I have some code that I need to publish
> ... but you'll have to wait for that until tomorrow...
>
> I don't plan on releasing a new version of the GemTools one-click....
>
> Dale
>
> On 9/17/15 9:39 PM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>>

>> On 9/17/15 7:44 PM, Alejandro Zuzek via Glass wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have tried to use the latest version of GemTools (1.0-beta.8.7.1) to
>>> connect to a GS 3.2.8.1 server and the login fails with this error
>>>
>>> 'Unable to create a GemStone session, check netldi log file.
>>> Netldi ''gs64ldi'' on host ''ubuntu'' reports the request '''' failed:
>>> Requested version level 3020, this server is at level 3022'
>> The gci libraries need to be updated ... assuming that you are
>> running on linux, you can update the gci libraries by doing the
>> following:
>>
>>   # exit the GemTools image
>>   cd GemTools-1.0-beta.8.7-3*.app/Contents/Linux686
>>   rm gciForLinux.so
>>   cp
>> $GS_HOME/gemstone/products/GemStone64Bit3.2.8.1-x86_64.Linux/lib32/*.so
>> .
>>   ln -s libgcirpc-3.3.0-32.so gciForLinux.so
>>   # restart the GemTools image
>>>
>>> If I've followed the code correctly, the error is returned by a
>>> primitive
>>> and I think the libraries would need to be recompiled to work with GS
>>> 3.2.8.1.
>>>
>>> Is there a new reléase of GemTools planned shortly or should I
>>> switch to
>>> tODE?
>> No new releases planned for GemTools but the above instructions
>> should get you functional again. If you are comfortable with GemTools
>> then I would suggest that you continue using it for now ... I plan to
>> release a new version of GsDevKitHome by mid-November which includes
>> a new version of tODE and between now and the release I am
>> restructuring project structure (see GsDevKit_* on
>> github://GsDevKit), so it might be best to hold off for a bit ... if
>> you are interested in moving to tODE anyway, then go ahead and take
>> it for a spin ...
>>
>> Dale

Re: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1-32x not working with GS 3.2.8.1

Alejandro Zuzek
Hi Dale,

I am using GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1-32x on Windows, however it does not seem to work with GS 3.2.8.1 (it may have worked with previous 3.2.* versions, but I wouldn't be able to tell since I made the leap from GS 3.1.0.4 to GS 3.2.8.1).

Since I run my GemTools on Windows, I downloaded GemBuilderC3.2.9-x86.Windows_NT and copied libgcirpc-3.2.9-64.dll to the Contents/Resources/ folder of my GemTools installation. I tried by renaming this dll to libgcirpc-3.2.8.1-64.dll and gciForWindows.dll. Neither worked. The first option would give me the same error as with the original lib (Requested version level 3020, this server is at level 3022), but the second option option gets me to GciLibrary>>externalCallFailed. The second option is the closest I could get to your suggestion for Linux to point the gciForLinux.so to libgcirpc-3.3.0-32.so.

In the Contents/Resources/ folder as it was created by unzipping the GemTools one click file, gciForWindows.dll and libgcirpc-3.2.8.1-64.dll are two separate files with different sizes, so I was not surprised when I got the externalCallFailed error after overwriting gciForWindows.dll with libgciprpc-3.2.9-64.dll. It seems to me that the version level is set by gciForWindows.dll, but I can't get hold of a version of it that would be more current than the one that came with GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1-32x. There is a newer version of libgciprpc in GemBuilderC3.2.9-x86.Windows_NT, but no gciForWindows.dll in that package.

Thanks,

Alejandro

Re: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1-32x not working with GS 3.2.8.1

GLASS mailing list

| I am using GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1-32x on Windows, however it does
| not seem
| to work with GS 3.2.8.1 (it may have worked with previous 3.2.*
| versions,
| but I wouldn't be able to tell since I made the leap from GS 3.1.0.4
| to GS
| 3.2.8.1).
|
| Since I run my GemTools on Windows,

Ah, you are using Windows ...

| I downloaded
| GemBuilderC3.2.9-x86.Windows_NT and copied libgcirpc-3.2.9-64.dll to
| the
| Contents/Resources/ folder of my GemTools installation. I tried by
| renaming
| this dll to libgcirpc-3.2.8.1-64.dll and gciForWindows.dll. Neither
| worked.
| The first option would give me the same error as with the original
| lib
| (Requested version level 3020, this server is at level 3022), but the
| second
| option option gets me to GciLibrary>>externalCallFailed. The second
| option
| is the closest I could get to your suggestion for Linux to point the
| gciForLinux.so to libgcirpc-3.3.0-32.so.

Hmmmm ... GemTools uses the gciForWindows.dll, so the second option should have worked ... did you stop and restart your GemTools image after changing the files?

| In the Contents/Resources/ folder as it was created by unzipping the
| GemTools one click file, gciForWindows.dll and
| libgcirpc-3.2.8.1-64.dll are
| two separate files with different sizes,

The gciForWindows.dll is just a copy of the libgcirpc-*-32.dll from the release ... did you copy the libssl*.dll along with the libciprpc*.dll ...

You are mentioning a libgcirpc-3.2.8.1-64.dll when I would think that you should be using the libgcirpc-3.2.8.1-32.dll the 32 bit library from the lib32 directory (I don't work with Windows so perhaps the files are named wrong ... or you copied the wrong ell files ...). As I said the libciprpc*.dll should be copied to gciForWindows.dll and you need the libssl*.dll as well.
| so I was not surprised when
| I got
| the externalCallFailed error after overwriting gciForWindows.dll with
| libgciprpc-3.2.9-64.dll. It seems to me that the version level is set
| by
| gciForWindows.dll, but I can't get hold of a version of it that would
| be
| more current than the one that came with GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1-32x.
a 64 bit library called from a 32 program could be causing the problem ... as well as perhaps needed the 3.2.9 libssl*.dll ...

Now I would have thought that the older versions would work with the newer version of GemSTone, but occasionally we do make bug fixes that require using a newer version of the gci libs ... in which case 3.2.9 will likely work (unless you get another compat error)
| There
| is a newer version of libgciprpc in GemBuilderC3.2.9-x86.Windows_NT,
| but no
| gciForWindows.dll in that package.

gciWindows.dll is the alias that is used for GemTools to make it possible for the FFI interface to be able to find the libgci library ... In Pharo3.0 and with tODE I've been able to load the gci libraries directly (without changing the name) and I've been able to switch libraries without having to stop/restart the image ...

Dale

Re: GemTools 1.0-beta.8.7.1-32x not working with GS 3.2.8.1

GLASS mailing list

If your server is 3.2.8.1, you should use the same Windows distribution. 3.2.8 should also work. 3.2.9 could be a crap shoot. Most importantly, take all the 32-bit DLLs for use with a 32-bit client.