Generate Sources

Guido Chari

Hi.

I am not able to generate the sources for the VM.

I am following these steps:

1. Download a squeak image (MAC 32 bits) from the official website.

I have to do so because if I run "buildspurtrunkvmmakerimage.sh" from the latest Cog branch of opensmalltalk I got a dmg and when the script (or me) tries to open it, it appears a warning (the following disk image could not be opened) and nothing more happens.

2. When I file in the UpdateSqueakTrunkImage it hangs in: 'intalling kernel-nice.1127' so I am not able to update the image.

3. If I try to generate sources without updating the image running "VMMaker generateSqueakSpurCog64VM" I got a PrintFormatString>>transformVMMaker mnu.

Can anybody point me out what am I doing wrong?

Best Regards,
Guido.

Re: Generate Sources

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Guido,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 4:34 AM, Guido Chari <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi.

I am not able to generate the sources for the VM.

I am following these steps:

1. Download a squeak image (MAC 32 bits) from the official website.

I have to do so because if I run "buildspurtrunkvmmakerimage.sh" from the latest Cog branch of opensmalltalk I got a dmg and when the script (or me) tries to open it, it appears a warning (the following disk image could not be opened) and nothing more happens.

What happens if you try and mount the .dmg manually?  What is the value of your  Security & Privacy setting "Allow downloaded apps from:"?  Mine is "Mac App Store and identified developers"

2. When I file in the UpdateSqueakTrunkImage it hangs in: 'intalling kernel-nice.1127' so I am not able to update the image.

Have you tried  buildspurtrunkvmmaker64image.sh?  I haven't tested the 32-bit build in a while.  I'll try and take a look.  But I successfully built an image and generated sources from it very recently, in line with the recent commits to image/getGoodSpur64VM.sh on March 17th (22d116ba79526555621cfd7c4632b5d40f403d98).

3. If I try to generate sources without updating the image running "VMMaker generateSqueakSpurCog64VM" I got a PrintFormatString>>transformVMMaker mnu.

Do you have the Printf package loaded?  If you look at the manifest in image/BuildSqueakSpurTrunkVMMakerImage.st you can see all the packages and repositories that go into making a VMMaker image.  You could try and update manually.  Perhaps a script to update based on the manifest would be useful.  Sorry this isn't going smoothly for you.  Its strange because I was able to do it myself earlier this month.

Can anybody point me out what am I doing wrong?

Other than the Security and Privacy settings perhaps preventing you from mounting the .dmg I can;t think of anything that would be different between my testing and your usage.

Best Regards,
Guido.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Generate Sources

Guido Chari

Hi Guido,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 4:34 AM, Guido Chari <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi.

I am not able to generate the sources for the VM.

I am following these steps:

1. Download a squeak image (MAC 32 bits) from the official website.

I have to do so because if I run "buildspurtrunkvmmakerimage.sh" from the latest Cog branch of opensmalltalk I got a dmg and when the script (or me) tries to open it, it appears a warning (the following disk image could not be opened) and nothing more happens.

What happens if you try and mount the .dmg manually?  What is the value of your  Security & Privacy setting "Allow downloaded apps from:"?  Mine is "Mac App Store and identified developers"

My setting is same as yours. Opening it manually gives me the same result.

2. When I file in the UpdateSqueakTrunkImage it hangs in: 'intalling kernel-nice.1127' so I am not able to update the image.

Have you tried  buildspurtrunkvmmaker64image.sh?  I haven't tested the 32-bit build in a while.  I'll try and take a look.  But I successfully built an image and generated sources from it very recently, in line with the recent commits to image/getGoodSpur64VM.sh on March 17th (22d116ba79526555621cfd7c4632b5d40f403d98).

Ok, so in 64 bits I didn't experience the same error. Sorry, my fault not to try in 64 bits. But is a little confusing (at least for me) that Squeak is not promoting 64 bits images in the official web page and but the stable VM development is with 64 bits images. Anyway I faced another problems. First, the script use the eject command which I hadn't. Perhpaps the documentation is fine but I recall just reading as a dependency Xcode. Then, after 3 attempts the image halted in different places during the package updating because of lack of response from squeaksource. I have not been developing in Smalltalk for a while, but remember that used to be usual. Is it still usual?

3. If I try to generate sources without updating the image running "VMMaker generateSqueakSpurCog64VM" I got a PrintFormatString>>transformVMMaker mnu.

Do you have the Printf package loaded?  If you look at the manifest in image/BuildSqueakSpurTrunkVMMakerImage.st you can see all the packages and repositories that go into making a VMMaker image.  You could try and update manually.  Perhaps a script to update based on the manifest would be useful.  Sorry this isn't going smoothly for you.  Its strange because I was able to do it myself earlier this month.

Yes the package is there. But, I am not able to update the image because as I said, at least the 32 bits hangs on ''intalling kernel-nice.1127'. I could not try in the 64 bits version yet because of the squeaksource problems. Anyway, I managed to go on with the 32 bits by just bringing the needed methods offline from the printf package.

Can anybody point me out what am I doing wrong?

Other than the Security and Privacy settings perhaps preventing you from mounting the .dmg I can;t think of anything that would be different between my testing and your usage.

Well would be great to know if there is other people facing similar problems with 32 bits. Or if there is a CI job anywhere that I could look to see what am I missing and/or help fixing that.

Best Regards,
Guido.

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: Generate Sources

K K Subbu

On Thursday 29 March 2018 02:23 PM, Guido Chari wrote:

> Well would be great to know if there is other people facing similar
> problems with 32 bits. Or if there is a CI job anywhere that I could
> look to see what am I missing and/or help fixing that.

The .travis* files at the root contains the CI scripts for macos32x86.

HTH .. Subbu

Re: Generate Sources

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Guido,

On Mar 29, 2018, at 1:53 AM, Guido Chari <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Alas yes.  I simply restart the load using the debugger when squeaksource times out.

[...]

monty-3

Technically, the MNU is for #transformForVMMaker, not #transformVMMaker. I also got it on 64-bit Debian while generating sources for a 32-bit Spur VM (THB). The Printf and VMMaker were loaded in the wrong order: Printf must come first, since VMMaker extends it. Manually reloading VMMaker after fixes it.