Geospatial Imports

Ben Francis-4
Hi all,

I'm involved in a feasibility study into using Online Virtual Worlds in the "urban regeneration consultation process" in the UK.

Does anyone have experience in importing geospatial data (maps, terrain, roads, buildings etc.) into a Croquet world? Is this something which is currently supported, has planned support in the future or would be easy to implement?

It seems that the focus of Croquet is in building virtual collaborative spaces rather than scenes which mirror the real world, is this an accurate observation?

Any experiences, suggestions and contacts would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ben

Ben Francis
http://tola.me.uk

RE: Geospatial Imports

Hans Baveco
Hi Ben,

this is exactly what I tried to do a couple of months ago (http://thefutureinvented.blogspot.com/2008/07/croquetgis.html), see the croquet-dev message copied below.
The available code provides basic functionality only. I hope to find the time to continue with this project soon, and am open to collaboration with other people willing to invest time to take this further!

Hans

Image saving

Paul Trattle - DWP
I'm noticing that every time I go into cobalt and then exit out (without even doing anything) and save the image file it increases in size of the image. I expect this to occur when I make simple menu additions, or integrate any code, and I understand that it logs everything done, but I'm wondering if there is a way to reduce the size of the image. If I end up saving the image file after each code change to test it, I'm going to end up with a 500+ meg image file soon. Is there a better way to integrate and test code that won't continually increase the image size?

Appreciate any thoughts,

Paul

DW Poppy Secondary School