Getting Cobalt to run

Les Howell
OK, progress.
        Here are the steps I did to bet Cobalt to open (don't know about the
rest yet.  I'm trying to keep track of what I have done.)  This is on my
Fedora 7 system which is already running Croquet.  I still have not
resolved all the issues on the Fedora 7 machine.  If this process will
cause other problems that the Cobalt developers can forsee, please let
me know, and I will attempt to resolve those issues as well.

        1.  Set up the links for libOpenAl and libGl because in Linux they are
probably controlled access.(alternatively the script could be modified
to call psuedo).
        2.  Copy the appropriate Croquet.*.image file to the Cobalt directory.
        3.  Copy the appropriate Croquet.*.changes file to the Cobalt
directory.
        4.  Copy the Croquet shell script:  "cp Croquet.sh Cobalt.sh"
        5.  Edit the Cobalt.sh script to change the called image to
cobalt.1.image (the number will change with later revisions I assume)
        6.  Start the cobalt script.  You will receive an error message about
being unable to set the links for libopenAl or libGL depending on which
one fails due to permissions, and one error message about on closing
about
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown). because
the exit is apparently not yet clean.

        I can open the old demos tab, and the tools tab and the license tab as
I have checked all that already.
As noted previously, using Linux you will have to have graphics
acceleration via the appropriate driver.  Croquet may run without it,
but it would be abysmally slow, to the point I didn't think it was
running.

        More to follow...

Regards,
Les H

Re: Getting Cobalt to run

Les Howell
On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 13:18 -0700, Les wrote:
> I still have not
> resolved all the issues on the Fedora 7 machine.
OOPS.. This sentence refers to the Fedora 8 machine.

Sorry,
Les H