Getting a handle on objects which are instantiated through the various flaps

Getting a handle on objects which are instantiated through the various flaps

Andy Burnett
I imagine the answer to this is going to be pretty obvious. However... ;-)

When I pull an object from a flap onto the desktop, how can I get a handle on it so that I can send it messages programmatically?  What I am hoping is that I could drag e.g. the bouncing atom thing into a project, and then - in a workspace? - be able to send it messages.  Or, if this is completely the wrong approach, how else might I be able to play with an object instantiated in this way.

Thanks
AB

Re: Getting a handle on objects which are instantiated through the various flaps

onierstrasz

Hi Andy,

Just "blue click" (Meta-click or whatever) on any object to bring up
the Morphic handles.  The second handle from the top on the right will
let you inspect or explore the object, or browse its source code.  Use
the inspector or the explorer to send messages to the object.

Very useful.

Oscar

On Feb 8, 2008, at 13:36, Andy Burnett wrote:

> I imagine the answer to this is going to be pretty obvious.
> However... ;-)
>
> When I pull an object from a flap onto the desktop, how can I get a
> handle on it so that I can send it messages programmatically?  What
> I am hoping is that I could drag e.g. the bouncing atom thing into a
> project, and then - in a workspace? - be able to send it messages.
> Or, if this is completely the wrong approach, how else might I be
> able to play with an object instantiated in this way.
>
> Thanks
> AB

Re: Getting a handle on objects which are instantiated through the various flaps

Herbert König
Hello Andy,

AB> When I pull an object from a flap onto the desktop, how can I
AB> get a handle on it so that I can send it messages
AB> programmatically?  What I am hoping is that I could drag e.g. the
AB> bouncing atom thing into a project, and then - in a workspace? -
AB> be able to send it messages.

I long knew it was there, but it took me quite some time to find out.

Hopefully by telling you, I will remember when I need it.

Here goes:
In the window menu of a Workspace (left of the cross to close it) you
find an option "create textual references for dropped morphs".

Set it and then drop your BouncingAtoms into the Workspace.

The Morph will move back but in the Workspace you find something like
"bouncing atoms1892"

The bad news:
If the name is a single word (like an Ellipse from the supplies flap)
you then can send it messages.

This doesn't work for representations with more than one words.

Funny thing, if I use a StarMorph the reference is created but the
Star goes to the trash!

I tried this in 3.8, it maybe better or worse in younger images.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [Newbie's] Getting a handle on objects which are instantiated through the various flaps

Edgar J. De Cleene

El 2/8/08 9:36 AM, "Andy Burnett" <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> I imagine the answer to this is going to be pretty obvious. However... ;-)
>
> When I pull an object from a flap onto the desktop, how can I get a handle on
> it so that I can send it messages programmatically?  What I am hoping is that
> I could drag e.g. the bouncing atom thing into a project, and then - in a
> workspace? - be able to send it messages.  Or, if this is completely the wrong
> approach, how else might I be able to play with an object instantiated in this
> way.
>
> Thanks
> AB
If you got the handle, find the "debug" item, (the wrench icon).
When the Inspector window shows, you have how to send messages to object in
the lower pane (the code pane)
As example, drag a Ellipse from the Supplies flap.
Bring the halo with command-click., select the debug mode and bring the
Inspector window with the "inspector morph".
The window should say same like an EllipseMorph <Ellipse> (2954)
In the lower pane type self color: Color red.
Select and do it.
In the debug , you also have an item labelled morph protocol and (text) or
(tiles) for you see all messages this object could understand with same
technique.
In right panel, the methods marked in bold was implemented in same class,
the others was inherited from some "mother" class or high in hierarchy.
Which hierarchy ?, you say.
In halo find the select browse class item and you bring the Hierarchy
Browser.
For EllipseMorph, the "mother" is BorderedMorph and up was Morph, Object,
ProtoObject.

So, any message this classes understand, your Ellipse understand.

I advice you got a copy of SqueakByExample

Cheers

El 2/8/08 11:27 AM, "Herbert König" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> I tried this in 3.8, it maybe better or worse in younger images.
>
> Cheers

But better in 3.11 alpha , works as should be, so I imagine 3.10 gamma from
which is derived also works.

The future is always better :=)

Edgar

Re: Getting a handle on objects which are instantiated through the various flaps

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Also, there is a menu item in the workspace (click on the menu
button next to the close button in the title bar) called "create
textual references to dropped morph".  If you check the box, you can
drop a morph onto the workspace and then you can refer to the object
by the name created in the workspace from the workspace.

  However, this is not as effective as doing stuff in the inspector
for it, as it has more "context" associated with it.

-- Yoshiki