GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

12

GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

dario trussardi
Ciao,

        i have a Pharo5.0 Latest update: #50763  image run on MacBook Pro with OS X 10.7.5.

        When i load the GitFileTree support the environment go in loop and i need to shut it.

        Considerations?

        Thanks,

                Dario

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

Thierry Goubier
Hi Dario,

can you tell a bit more about what is happening exactly?

Thierry

Ciao,

        i have a                Pharo5.0        Latest update: #50763  image    run on MacBook Pro with OS X     10.7.5.

        When i load the                 GitFileTree     support the environment go in loop and i need to shut it.

        Considerations?

        Thanks,

                Dario

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

dario trussardi
Ciao,

IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION:

If i started the Pharo 5.0 image from the desktop icon all works fine.

But i have a working  Pharo5.0-161126.image into the Pharo 5.0 package Contents/ Resource/ directory.

I open it with Pharo5.0 ( Pharo5.0 )  application.

The Pharo image is right open  but the GitFileTree loading generates the exception in this case.

These are the step i do for load:

I open the Catalogs Browser and select the GitFileTree project.

On it  i press the right mouse button and do the option: Instal stable version

The system browse a dialog with:

" GitFileTree has not been marked as tested for Pharo5.0!
Do you want to continue ( installation could fail )?

I confirm.

The Pharo load some 'package'   and after the image  use the 100% of the CPU.

After some times the CPU load don't change ( 100% ) and the Pharo don't answer. ( the User interrupt alt  Cmd - :   is not intercepted )

I need to shut Pharo  and reopen the image.

Thanks,

Dario

[...]

Ok. Will have a look into the catalog browser source code to get rid of that. I know that the catalog browser uses the Pharo6 ConfigurationOfGitFileTree instead of the Pharo5 one.

I confirm.

The Pharo load some 'package'   and after the image  use the 100% of the CPU.

After some times the CPU load don't change ( 100% ) and the Pharo don't answer. ( the User interrupt alt  Cmd - :   is not intercepted )

Yes, this one is problematic.

Could you try to load OSSubprocess from the configuration browser? Tell me if it locks-up while trying to load that.

Thierry

I need to shut Pharo  and reopen the image.

Thanks,

Dario

Hi Dario,

can you tell a bit more about what is happening exactly?

Thierry

Ciao,

        i have a                Pharo5.0        Latest update: #50763  image    run on MacBook Pro with OS X     10.7.5.

        When i load the                 GitFileTree     support the environment go in loop and i need to shut it.

        Considerations?

        Thanks,

                Dario

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

dario trussardi

Ciao,

IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION:

If i started the Pharo 5.0 image from the desktop icon all works fine.

Do you note this difference?!

But i have a working  Pharo5.0-161126.image into the Pharo 5.0 package Contents/ Resource/ directory.

I open it with Pharo5.0 ( Pharo5.0 )  application.

The Pharo image is right open  but the GitFileTree loading generates the exception in this case.

These are the step i do for load:

I open the Catalogs Browser and select the GitFileTree project.

On it  i press the right mouse button and do the option: Instal stable version

The system browse a dialog with:

" GitFileTree has not been marked as tested for Pharo5.0!
Do you want to continue ( installation could fail )?

Ok. Will have a look into the catalog browser source code to get rid of that. I know that the catalog browser uses the Pharo6 ConfigurationOfGitFileTree instead of the Pharo5 one.

But the same procedure and relative ConfigurationOfGitFileTree,

 works fine when i load it to Pharo launched from Pharo desktop icon.

The problematic is when i load it into  Pharo5.0-161126.image from  the Pharo 5.0 package Contents/ Resource/ subdirectory.

I confirm.

The Pharo load some 'package'   and after the image  use the 100% of the CPU.

After some times the CPU load don't change ( 100% ) and the Pharo don't answer. ( the User interrupt alt  Cmd - :   is not intercepted )

Yes, this one is problematic.

Could you try to load OSSubprocess from the configuration browser? Tell me if it locks-up while trying to load that.

Like above,  load OSSubprocess:

A ) Into Pharo launched from desktop icon all works fine.

B) Into Pharo5.0-161126.image launched from :    the Pharo 5.0 package Contents/ Resource/ subdirectory
the system locks-up

Dario

Thierry

[...]

Of course. Paths/environment may be (is probably) different when you start from the desktop icon and when you start it from Contents/Resource.

[...]

I have noticed and my questions relate to that.

I confirm.

The Pharo load some 'package'   and after the image  use the 100% of the CPU.

After some times the CPU load don't change ( 100% ) and the Pharo don't answer. ( the User interrupt alt  Cmd - :   is not intercepted )

Yes, this one is problematic.

Could you try to load OSSubprocess from the configuration browser? Tell me if it locks-up while trying to load that.

Like above,  load OSSubprocess:

A ) Into Pharo launched from desktop icon all works fine.

B) Into Pharo5.0-161126.image launched from :    the Pharo 5.0 package Contents/ Resource/ subdirectory
the system locks-up

Does this lockup happens if you load something else from the catalog, such as Roassal2?

My hypothesis is that, since you have two different ways of starting Pharo with a different system environment (and preloaded libraries, and maybe LD_LIBRARY_PATH set/unset, and maybe different PATH, etc...), something at init of OSSubprocess never returns and lock-up the image.

Or, anything you load from the catalog in the second case locks-up, in which case something linked to code run after completing a project load locks-up when you don't use the environment provided by the desktop link.

Could someone with a Mac check that, please?

Regards,

Thierry

Dario

Thierry

[...]

I load he Roassal2 without problem in both images ( Pharo desktop and  Pharo5.0 Contents/ Resource/Pharo5.0-161126.image )

When i run Roassal2 example ( RTLayoutExample new exampleCircle )  in both images the system answer:

Error: External module not found

ExternalLibraryFunction(Object)>>error:
ExternalLibraryFunction(Object)>>externalCallFailed
ExternalLibraryFunction(ExternalFunction)>>invokeWithArguments:
AthensCairoSurface class>>primImage:width:height:
AthensCairoSurface class>>extent:format:
AthensCairoSurface class>>extent:
TRCanvas>>initialize
TRCanvas class(Behavior)>>new
RTView>>initialize
RTView class(Behavior)>>new
RTMondrian(RTBuilder)>>createView
RTMondrian>>createView
RTMondrian(RTBuilder)>>initialize
RTMondrian>>initialize
RTMondrian class(Behavior)>>new
UndefinedObject>>DoIt
Compiler>>evaluate:in:to:notifying:ifFail:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:for:notifying:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:for:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:
RTLayoutExample(RTAbstractExample)>>installTitle:code:
RTLayoutExample class>>DoIt
OpalCompiler>>evaluate
RubSmalltalkEditor>>evaluate:andDo:
RubSmalltalkEditor>>evaluateSelectionAndDo:
RubSmalltalkEditor>>printIt
[ :target | target editor printIt ] in RubSmalltalkEditor class>>buildShortcutsOn: in Block: [ :target | target editor printIt ]
BlockClosure>>cull:
BlockClosure>>cull:cull:
BlockClosure>>cull:cull:cull:

thanks,

Dario

[...]

this is good that you tested with Roassal. We have a more general issue...

[...]

Pharo is unable to access a library it needs; this is the native boost plugin which is normally bundled with it (and the cairo lib?)...

Guys, anybody with a mac around there?

Thierry

Dario

[...]

few days ago i encountered problems installing gitFileTree in pharo 5.0.

The basic error is relative to the : External module not found.

Someone considerations about it?

Hi Dario,

this is good that you tested with Roassal. We have a more general issue...

The same problematic is relative to Roassal.
 I install on the MacBook Pro OS/X 10.7.5  the  sudo port install cairo
But the error persist.

Thanks for any help.

[...]

kilon.alios
Pharo is unable to access a library it needs; this is the native boost plugin which is normally bundled with it (and the cairo lib?)...

Guys, anybody with a mac around there?

Thierry

Nativeboost has been removed and been replaced by UFFI, all libraries that used Nativeboost are now using UFFI including the Cairo backend library for Athens.

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

dario trussardi
Ciao,

Pharo is unable to access a library it needs; this is the native boost plugin which is normally bundled with it (and the cairo lib?)...

Guys, anybody with a mac around there?

Thierry

thanks Dimitris.

Nativeboost has been removed and been replaced by UFFI, all libraries that used Nativeboost are now using UFFI including the Cairo backend library for Athens.

OK,  but what i need to do for load UFFI Cairo library

and for load  the UFFI  library required by  GitFileTree Pharo support?

I wrong to install Pharo 5.0 on my MacBookPro with OS X  10.7.5. ?

If right remember i install Pharo 5.0 from  http://pharo.org/download   link

Thanks.
Dario

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

EstebanLM
Hi, Dario,

I do not understand quite well your problem… you should not have a problem installing GitFileTree in Pharo5, no matter the replacement of NativeBoost.
Athens also works fine with UFFI (since is part of Pharo, it has to work on all versions).

You *do not need* to download cairo bindings, they are already there.
So… if Athens is not working (and you can check that executing "VGTigerDemo runDemo” ,  then you have another kind of problem.

cheers,
Esteban

On 5 Dec 2016, at 17:34, Trussardi Dario Romano <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ciao,

Pharo is unable to access a library it needs; this is the native boost plugin which is normally bundled with it (and the cairo lib?)...

Guys, anybody with a mac around there?

Thierry

thanks Dimitris.

Nativeboost has been removed and been replaced by UFFI, all libraries that used Nativeboost are now using UFFI including the Cairo backend library for Athens.

OK,  but what i need to do for load UFFI Cairo library

and for load  the UFFI  library required by  GitFileTree Pharo support?

I wrong to install Pharo 5.0 on my MacBookPro with OS X  10.7.5. ?

If right remember i install Pharo 5.0 from  http://pharo.org/download   link

Thanks.
Dario

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

kilon.alios
If you go to the applications there is a folder called Utilities and inside it there is a terminal application open it and issue the following commands

mkdir pharo
cd pharo
curl get.pharo.org | bash
./pharo-ui Pharo.image

First command will make folder, second will enter the folder, third will dowload the standard stable version of pharo to the folder, foruth will launch pharo.

Then when pharo opens follow the instruction Esteban gave you to test that Athens works as it should. Do not install anything before testings. Then if everything works proceed and install one thing, only, then test it, then install the next one etc.

Moving step by step will help us pin point your problem

I suspect maybe something went crazy , it happens from time to time in pharo, recently I had a nasty corruption with Pharo 6. If it happens once, its ok , if it happens frequently its a problem.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 6:35 PM Trussardi Dario Romano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ciao,

Pharo is unable to access a library it needs; this is the native boost plugin which is normally bundled with it (and the cairo lib?)...

Guys, anybody with a mac around there?

Thierry

thanks Dimitris.

Nativeboost has been removed and been replaced by UFFI, all libraries that used Nativeboost are now using UFFI including the Cairo backend library for Athens.

OK,  but what i need to do for load UFFI Cairo library

and for load  the UFFI  library required by  GitFileTree Pharo support?

I wrong to install Pharo 5.0 on my MacBookPro with OS X  10.7.5. ?

If right remember i install Pharo 5.0 from  http://pharo.org/download   link

Thanks.
Dario

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

dario trussardi
Ciao Esteban,

Hi, Dario,

I do not understand quite well your problem… you should not have a problem installing GitFileTree in Pharo5, no matter the replacement of NativeBoost.
Athens also works fine with UFFI (since is part of Pharo, it has to work on all versions).

You *do not need* to download cairo bindings, they are already there.
So… if Athens is not working (and you can check that executing "VGTigerDemo runDemo” ,

The VGTigerDemo runDemo report:

ExternalLibraryFunction(Object)>>error:
ExternalLibraryFunction(Object)>>externalCallFailed
ExternalLibraryFunction(ExternalFunction)>>invokeWithArguments:
AthensCairoSurface class>>primImage:width:height:
AthensCairoSurface class>>extent:format:
AthensCairoSurface class>>extent:
VGTigerDemo>>initialize
VGTigerDemo class(Behavior)>>new
VGTigerDemo class>>runDemo

 then you have another kind of problem.

What do you mean about :   another kind of problem.

How can I investigate about that? Download again the image and see what happens?

Thanks,
Dario

P.S. What do you think about my email with same object dated:    29 novembre 2016 11:55:02 GMT+01:00

It may be source of problems?

[...]

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Yes, try this, I think you might be using the wrong VM.

> On 5 Dec 2016, at 18:41, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If you go to the applications there is a folder called Utilities and inside it there is a terminal application open it and issue the following commands
>
> mkdir pharo
> cd pharo
> curl get.pharo.org | bash
> ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>
> First command will make folder, second will enter the folder, third will dowload the standard stable version of pharo to the folder, foruth will launch pharo.
>
> Then when pharo opens follow the instruction Esteban gave you to test that Athens works as it should. Do not install anything before testings. Then if everything works proceed and install one thing, only, then test it, then install the next one etc.
>
> Moving step by step will help us pin point your problem
>
> I suspect maybe something went crazy , it happens from time to time in pharo, recently I had a nasty corruption with Pharo 6. If it happens once, its ok , if it happens frequently its a problem.
>

> On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 6:35 PM Trussardi Dario Romano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ciao,
>
>> Pharo is unable to access a library it needs; this is the native boost plugin which is normally bundled with it (and the cairo lib?)...
>>
>> Guys, anybody with a mac around there?
>>
>> Thierry
>>

> thanks Dimitris.
>
>> Nativeboost has been removed and been replaced by UFFI, all libraries that used Nativeboost are now using UFFI including the Cairo backend library for Athens.
>
> OK, but what i need to do for load UFFI Cairo library
>
> and for load  the UFFI  library required by GitFileTree Pharo support?
>

> I wrong to install Pharo 5.0 on my MacBookPro with OS X 10.7.5. ?
>
> If right remember i install Pharo 5.0 from http://pharo.org/download   link
>

> Thanks.
>
> Dario

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

EstebanLM

> On 5 Dec 2016, at 19:05, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, try this, I think you might be using the wrong VM.

yes :)

>> On 5 Dec 2016, at 18:41, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If you go to the applications there is a folder called Utilities and inside it there is a terminal application open it and issue the following commands
>>
>> mkdir pharo
>> cd pharo
>> curl get.pharo.org | bash
>> ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>>
>> First command will make folder, second will enter the folder, third will dowload the standard stable version of pharo to the folder, foruth will launch pharo.
>>
>> Then when pharo opens follow the instruction Esteban gave you to test that Athens works as it should. Do not install anything before testings. Then if everything works proceed and install one thing, only, then test it, then install the next one etc.
>>
>> Moving step by step will help us pin point your problem
>>
>> I suspect maybe something went crazy , it happens from time to time in pharo, recently I had a nasty corruption with Pharo 6. If it happens once, its ok , if it happens frequently its a problem.
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 6:35 PM Trussardi Dario Romano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Ciao,
>>
>>> Pharo is unable to access a library it needs; this is the native boost plugin which is normally bundled with it (and the cairo lib?)...
>>>
>>> Guys, anybody with a mac around there?
>>>
>>> Thierry
>>>

>> thanks Dimitris.
>>
>>> Nativeboost has been removed and been replaced by UFFI, all libraries that used Nativeboost are now using UFFI including the Cairo backend library for Athens.
>>
>> OK, but what i need to do for load UFFI Cairo library
>>
>> and for load  the UFFI  library required by GitFileTree Pharo support?
>>

>> I wrong to install Pharo 5.0 on my MacBookPro with OS X 10.7.5. ?
>>
>> If right remember i install Pharo 5.0 from http://pharo.org/download   link
>>

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Dario

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

Ben Coman
hi Dario,

Reading back through the thread, it seems it works when you start
Pharo one way, but not another way.
Can you report the VM versions for each way..
World menu > System > System Reporter > VM General

Is one of those ways you start Pharo is using Pharo Launcher?
In the settings you can point it to a new VM you download.

cheers -ben

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 2:16 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 5 Dec 2016, at 19:05, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, try this, I think you might be using the wrong VM.
>
> yes :)
>

>>> On 5 Dec 2016, at 18:41, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you go to the applications there is a folder called Utilities and inside it there is a terminal application open it and issue the following commands
>>>
>>> mkdir pharo
>>> cd pharo
>>> curl get.pharo.org | bash
>>> ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>>>
>>> First command will make folder, second will enter the folder, third will dowload the standard stable version of pharo to the folder, foruth will launch pharo.
>>>
>>> Then when pharo opens follow the instruction Esteban gave you to test that Athens works as it should. Do not install anything before testings. Then if everything works proceed and install one thing, only, then test it, then install the next one etc.
>>>
>>> Moving step by step will help us pin point your problem
>>>
>>> I suspect maybe something went crazy , it happens from time to time in pharo, recently I had a nasty corruption with Pharo 6. If it happens once, its ok , if it happens frequently its a problem.
>>>

>>> On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 6:35 PM Trussardi Dario Romano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Ciao,

>>>      thanks Dimitris.

>>>      OK,             but what i need to do for load UFFI Cairo library
>>>
>>>      and for load  the UFFI  library  required by    GitFileTree Pharo support?
>>>

>>>      I wrong to install Pharo 5.0 on my MacBookPro with OS X  10.7.5. ?
>>>
>>>      If right remember i install Pharo 5.0 from       http://pharo.org/download   link
>>>

>>>      Thanks.
>>>
>>>      Dario

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

aglynn42

I run Pharo 5.0 with no problems on a Macbook Pro, but it’s running OS X v. 10.12.1.  Any reason your OS is backdated?

Andrew Glynn

            Dario

Re: GitFileTree on Pharo 5.0

dario trussardi
Ciao Ben,

hi Dario,

Reading back through the thread, it seems it works when you start
Pharo one way, but not another way.
Can you report the VM versions for each way..
World menu > System > System Reporter > VM GeneralImage

In the first case ( from Pharo on desktop ):

-----
/Users/dtr/Desktop/Pharo5.0.app/Contents/Resources/Pharo5.0.image
Pharo5.0
Latest update: #50763
Unnamed

Virtual Machine
---------------
/Users/dtr/Desktop/Pharo5.0.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo
CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-HolgerHansPeterFreyther.1880 uuid: 16138eb3-2390-40f5-a6c8-15f0494936f8 Oct 10 2016
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-HolgerHansPeterFreyther.1880 uuid: 16138eb3-2390-40f5-a6c8-15f0494936f8 Oct 10 2016
[hidden email]:pharo-project/pharo-vm.git Commit: 06744effac0f0aa3b4b32e17636448f9d51d6707 Date: 2016-09-30 08:40:43 +0200 By: GitHub <[hidden email]

Mac Cocoa Cog 5.8b12 21-Sep-10 >1B0534FA-246C-47C5-AB29-7A76C81CCDCB<
VMMaker versionString [hidden email]:pharo-project/pharo-vm.git Commit: 06744effac0f0aa3b4b32e17636448f9d51d6707 Date: 2016-09-30 08:40:43 +0200 By: GitHub <[hidden email]
CoInterpreter VMMaker.oscog-HolgerHansPeterFreyther.1880 uuid: 16138eb3-2390-40f5-a6c8-15f0494936f8 Oct 10 2016
StackToRegisterMappingCogit VMMaker.oscog-HolgerHansPeterFreyther.1880 uuid: 16138eb3-2390-40f5-a6c8-15f0494936f8 Oct 10 2016

In the second case ( a specific image into package )

Image
-----
/Users/dtr/Desktop/Pharo5.0.app/Contents/Resources/Pharo5.0-161205.image
Pharo5.0
Latest update: #50763
Unnamed

Virtual Machine
---------------
[...]

In a new Pharo 5.0 folder
 ( following Dimitris command :
mkdir pharo
cd pharo
curl get.pharo.org | bash
./pharo-ui Pharo.image )

Image
-----
/opt/pharo/Pharo.image
Pharo5.0
Latest update: #50764
Unnamed

Virtual Machine
---------------
/opt/pharo/pharo-vm/Pharo.app/Contents/MacOS/Pharo
[...]

No, i use Pharo Launcher only for Pharo 4.0.

Not for Pharo 5.0

Thanks,

Dario

[...]

from terminal i create a /opt/pharo folder and run your command.

If you go to the applications there is a folder called Utilities and inside it there is a terminal application open it and issue the following commands

mkdir pharo
cd pharo
curl get.pharo.org | bash
./pharo-ui Pharo.image

First command will make folder, second will enter the folder, third will dowload the standard stable version of pharo to the folder, foruth will launch pharo.

Then when pharo opens
the Pharo is right open

follow the instruction Esteban gave you to test that Athens works as it should.

The Roassal2 is not load in the image.

I load it from Pharo Project Catalog.

I select the Roassal2 project and do the Install stable version.

( a this point i have a strange dialog behaviour :

when the system open a dialog with:
Question
Roassal2 has not been marked as tested for Pharo5.0!
Do you want to continue (installation could fail )?
when i i select the yes or no button the dialog with the same question is often redispaly. )

Do not install anything before testings. Then if everything works proceed and install one thing, only, then test it, then install the next one etc.

After install the Roassal2 like above and do the  VGTigerDemo runDemo

answer the same error: