Give debuggers more space ... :-)

12

Re: Give debuggers more space ... :-)

Christoph Thiede

Personally, I find the old version "[] in Class >> #selector" much better to read. And how would you handle nested, nested, nested blocks? ;-) In this case, I think a preference for "enable/disable modern debugger layout" would be useful.

However, the column alignment is a cool thing. Did you consider aligning the columns at the left and right border rather than centering them?

Best,

Christoph

Re: Give debuggers more space ... :-)

Christoph Thiede

Maybe we could change the LazyListMorph implementation to allow crossing the columns correctly? This would us to take advantage of all available space.

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Give debuggers more space ... :-)

marcel.taeumel
Personally, I find the old version "[] in Class >> #selector" much better to read.

Hmm, yes, but that prefix would be hidden for long class names and narrow windows.

> And how would you handle nested, nested, nested blocks?

"[][][][][]..." ;-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 23.10.2019 14:39:41 schrieb Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]>:

Personally, I find the old version "[] in Class >> #selector" much better to read. And how would you handle nested, nested, nested blocks? ;-) In this case, I think a preference for "enable/disable modern debugger layout" would be useful.

However, the column alignment is a cool thing. Did you consider aligning the columns at the left and right border rather than centering them?

Best,

Christoph

Re: Give debuggers more space ... :-)

Jakob Reschke
Am Mi., 23. Okt. 2019 um 14:45 Uhr schrieb Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]>:

This does not please my eyes. ;-)

image.png (58K) Download Attachment
image.png (59K) Download Attachment

Re: Give debuggers more space ... :-)

Jakob Reschke
Whatever we end up with, too many nested blocks should not create a lot of white space in the middle column.

Moreover, the square brackets should belong to the method selector, not to the class name(s), shouldn't they?

Am Mi., 23. Okt. 2019 um 14:47 Uhr schrieb Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]>:
> And how would you handle nested, nested, nested blocks?

"[][][][][]..." ;-)

Am 23.10.2019 14:39:41 schrieb Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]>:

Personally, I find the old version "[] in Class >> #selector" much better to read. And how would you handle nested, nested, nested blocks? ;-)

Okay-ish.... Not sure about that "[ ] in" ... it might deserve an extra column in the middle:

Am 17.10.2019 20:24:02 schrieb Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]>:

How will it look with long class names (or two of them)?

Re: Give debuggers more space ... :-)

timrowledge
Might be worth remembering that the listing in the notifier is just there to give a quick clue about the problem. Clear readability therein is necessarily the same the same thing as clear readability in the rather larger debugger context.

tim
"Bother" said Pooh, as Eeyore shot him with a rocket-launcher.

Re: Give debuggers more space ... :-)

timrowledge
Dammit!

> On 2019-10-23, at 11:28 AM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Might be worth remembering that the listing in the notifier is just there to give a quick clue about the problem. Clear readability therein is

NOT

> necessarily the same the same thing as clear readability in the rather larger debugger context.

tim
Useful random insult:- A mental midget with the IQ of a fencepost.

12