[Glass] Who is overriding $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR ?

[Glass] Who is overriding $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR ?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys,

I have a env file which I source per stone. At the end there is an example. I do source such a file before connecting to topaz. Then from a topaz script if I do a "System performOnServer: 'echo $VARIABLE_XXX'." then I get the correct result.   BUT..... I am getting the incorrect result with  $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR. For some reason, no matter I have set/exported the variable to my own value, like /opt/applications/test2/gemstone/log, I always get '/opt/gemstone/log'.

Any idea why?

Thanks,

export APPLICATION_NAME=test2
export APPLICATION_DIR=/opt/applications/test2/gemstone
export APPLICATION_DATA_DIR=/opt/applications/test2/gemstone/data
export APPLICATION_LOG_DIR=/opt/applications/test2/gemstone/log
export HOME=/opt/applications/test2/gemstone

export GEMSTONE_INSTALLATION=/opt/gemstone/product
export GEMSTONE_USER=mariano

export GEMSTONE_NAME=test2
export GEMSTONE_SYS_CONF=/opt/applications/test2/gemstone/etc/system.conf
export GEMSTONE_EXE_CONF=/opt/applications/test2/gemstone/etc/gem.conf
export GEMSTONE_DATADIR=/opt/applications/test2/gemstone/data
export GEMSTONE_LOGDIR=/opt/applications/test2/gemstone/log

export GEMSTONE=/opt/gemstone/product
export GEMSTONE_KEYFILE=/opt/gemstone/product/seaside/etc/gemstone.key
export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/gemstone/product/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/gemstone/product/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=/opt/gemstone/product/bin:/opt/gemstone/product/seaside/bin:/opt/applications/test2/gemstone/bin:$PATH

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] Who is overriding $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR ?

Richard Sargent
Administrator
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
... I am getting the incorrect result with
 $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR. For some reason, no matter I have set/exported the
variable to my own value, like /opt/applications/test2/gemstone/log, I
always get '/opt/gemstone/log'.
It looks like the following is possibly overriding your attempt. (I am far from an expert on how GemStone or GS/Seaside work!)

rsargent@galbadia 64bit3x $ grep -R "GEMSTONE_LOGDIR=" *
product/seaside/etc/gemstone.conf:GEMSTONE_LOGDIR=/opt/gemstone/log
product/bin/misc.sh:GEMSTONE_LOGDIR="$GEMSTONE_LOCKBASE/log"          #   required log directory

rsargent@galbadia 64bit3x $ grep -R "seaside/etc/gemstone.conf" *
hidden/MANIFEST:  copy seaside/etc/gemstone.conf $ARCHBASE/examples/seaside/etc/gemstone.conf    text
product/PACKING:seaside/etc/gemstone.conf               text
product/seaside/defSeaside:if [ -r /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/etc/gemstone.conf ]; then
product/seaside/defSeaside:    . /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/etc/gemstone.conf
product/seaside/defSeaside:     echo 'defSeaside: Missing config file /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/etc/gemstone.conf'

Re: [Glass] Who is overriding $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR ?

Bill.Erickson
Mariano,

If you're using RPC topaz, remember that the netldi spawns the gem process using the environment that was in effect at the time netldi was started.  If you change anything in this environment, you need to shutdown and restart netldi in order for any gems spawned by the netldi to include the updated variables.

Bill Erickson
GemTalk Systems Engineering
15220 NW Greenbrier Parkway #240, Beaverton OR 97006

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
> ... I am getting the incorrect result with
>  $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR. For some reason, no matter I have set/exported the
> variable to my own value, like /opt/applications/test2/gemstone/log, I
> always get '/opt/gemstone/log'.

Sent from the GLASS mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Richard Sargent <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
> ... I am getting the incorrect result with
>  $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR. For some reason, no matter I have set/exported the
> variable to my own value, like /opt/applications/test2/gemstone/log, I
> always get '/opt/gemstone/log'.

It looks like the following is possibly overriding your attempt.

what is the "following" ? Sorry but I think the email was cut...

(I am far
from an expert on how GemStone or GS/Seaside work!)

I think you are ;)

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Bill Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

If you're using RPC topaz, remember that the netldi spawns the gem process using the environment that was in effect at the time netldi was started.  If you change anything in this environment, you need to shutdown and restart netldi in order for any gems spawned by the netldi to include the updated variables.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the answer. Good point. I have restarted the netldi just in case but same problem. I made sure that the variables are correctly exported when I started netldi and they were...
So I might have a problem elsewhere.... :(

Bill Erickson
GemTalk Systems Engineering
15220 NW Greenbrier Parkway #240, Beaverton OR 97006

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
> ... I am getting the incorrect result with
>  $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR. For some reason, no matter I have set/exported the
> variable to my own value, like /opt/applications/test2/gemstone/log, I
> always get '/opt/gemstone/log'.

Sent from the GLASS mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] Who is overriding $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR ?

Mariano Martinez Peck
mmmmm I have a related problem.... I don't know why the log of my gems are written with a name like 'gemnetobject15083MacBook-Pro-de-Mariano.local.log' and they are being written into my $HOME folder.....weird. There is clearly something wrong with the log variables or parameters.
I will try to find what is going on...

Thanks,

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Bill Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

If you're using RPC topaz, remember that the netldi spawns the gem process using the environment that was in effect at the time netldi was started.  If you change anything in this environment, you need to shutdown and restart netldi in order for any gems spawned by the netldi to include the updated variables.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the answer. Good point. I have restarted the netldi just in case but same problem. I made sure that the variables are correctly exported when I started netldi and they were...
So I might have a problem elsewhere.... :(

Bill Erickson
GemTalk Systems Engineering
15220 NW Greenbrier Parkway #240, Beaverton OR 97006

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
> ... I am getting the incorrect result with
>  $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR. For some reason, no matter I have set/exported the
> variable to my own value, like /opt/applications/test2/gemstone/log, I
> always get '/opt/gemstone/log'.

Sent from the GLASS mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] Who is overriding $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR ?

Richard Sargent
Administrator
This was included in the forum's display of my previous message, but cut from the mail message the forum sent out. :-(
I don't know why.

rsargent@galbadia 64bit3x $ grep -R "GEMSTONE_LOGDIR=" *
product/seaside/etc/gemstone.conf:GEMSTONE_LOGDIR=/opt/gemstone/log
product/bin/misc.sh:GEMSTONE_LOGDIR="$GEMSTONE_LOCKBASE/log"          #   required log directory

rsargent@galbadia 64bit3x $ grep -R "seaside/etc/gemstone.conf" *
hidden/MANIFEST:  copy seaside/etc/gemstone.conf $ARCHBASE/examples/seaside/etc/gemstone.conf    text
product/PACKING:seaside/etc/gemstone.conf               text
product/seaside/defSeaside:if [ -r /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/etc/gemstone.conf ]; then
product/seaside/defSeaside:    . /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/etc/gemstone.conf
product/seaside/defSeaside:     echo 'defSeaside: Missing config file /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/etc/gemstone.conf'

[Glass] Fwd: Who is overriding $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR ?

Dale Henrichs-3
new mailer and replied to sender instead of list ...

[Glass] Fwd: Who is overriding $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR ?

Dale Henrichs-3
new mailer and replied to sender instead of list ...

Re: [Glass] Fwd: Who is overriding $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR ?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys,

I am reviving this old thread because I found the problem. I do use the /product/seaside/bin scripts, like startSeasideGem30 etc... However, I have my own env SET for each stone I have and for each I define the set of variables. All were working correctly but GEMSTONE_LOGDIR. The problem was the  /opt/gemstone/product/bin/misc.sh  does this at the very beginning:

GEMSTONE_LOGDIR="$GEMSTONE_LOCKBASE/log"

So it directly sets the GEMSTONE_LOGDIR even if it could have been already set. What I did as a workaround is:

if [ -n "$GEMSTONE_LOGDIR" ]; then
GEMSTONE_LOGDIR="$GEMSTONE_LOCKBASE/log"          #   required log directory

Now /product/seaside/bin  scripts get the correct GEMSTONE_LOGDIR.

Best,

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
gemnetobject15083MacBook-Pro-de-Mariano.local.log is the log file for an rpc gem and is constructed with gem pid and the name of your machine (preumably MacBook-Pro-de-Mariano.local).

It shows up in your home directory when you have _NOT_ set GEMSTONE_LOGDIR.

The ones on your mac are from gems started against the stone running on your mac and therefore the netldi that is running on your mac may not have had the correct env vars set before it was started

Hi Dale,

I am pretty sure GEMSTONE_LOGDIR is set when I am starting netldi and everywhere else I can look at.
My stone and netldi are started this way:

  su -m $RUNASUSER -c '$GEMSTONE_INSTALLATION/bin/startstone -z $GEMSTONE_SYS_CONF -l $APPLICATION_LOG_DIR/log.txt $APPLICATION_NAME' > $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR/startup.log 2>&1
  su -m $RUNASUSER -c '$GEMSTONE_INSTALLATION/bin/startnetldi -g -a $GEMSTONE_USER -n -P $NETLDI_PORT -l $APPLICATION_LOG_DIR/netldi$APPLICATION_NAME.log netldi$APPLICATION_NAME' > $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR/netldiStartup.log 2>&1

When this run, I do see netldiStartup.log written in the proper place, hence, at that time, $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR was correct. In addition, with teh -l option I also specify the log ( $APPLICATION_LOG_DIR is the same as  $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR ). And that log is again created correctly in the proper place.

However, my logs still appear in the home folder of the user running the stone/gems. Example ~/gemnetobject32654centosserver.log

So....where can I debug or check with more detail why my gems are getting those logs?

Thanks,

Dale

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
mmmmm I have a related problem.... I don't know why the log of my gems are written with a name like 'gemnetobject15083MacBook-Pro-de-Mariano.local.log' and they are being written into my $HOME folder.....weird. There is clearly something wrong with the log variables or parameters.
I will try to find what is going on...

Thanks,

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 3:07 PM, Bill Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

If you're using RPC topaz, remember that the netldi spawns the gem process using the environment that was in effect at the time netldi was started.  If you change anything in this environment, you need to shutdown and restart netldi in order for any gems spawned by the netldi to include the updated variables.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the answer. Good point. I have restarted the netldi just in case but same problem. I made sure that the variables are correctly exported when I started netldi and they were...
So I might have a problem elsewhere.... :(

Bill Erickson
GemTalk Systems Engineering
15220 NW Greenbrier Parkway #240, Beaverton OR 97006

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
> ... I am getting the incorrect result with
>  $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR. For some reason, no matter I have set/exported the
> variable to my own value, like /opt/applications/test2/gemstone/log, I
> always get '/opt/gemstone/log'.

Sent from the GLASS mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] Who is overriding $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR ?

Dale Henrichs-3
Mariano,

GEMSTONE_NRS_ALL is probably the best way to guarantee that all log files get put into the same spot, so if part of your env var set up is to do the following:

  export GEMSTONE_NRS_ALL=#dir:$GEMSTONE_LOG_DIR

before starting your netldis, then all of the logs should end up in the right spot ...

Dale

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

So I might have a problem elsewhere.... :(

Bill Erickson
GemTalk Systems Engineering
15220 NW Greenbrier Parkway #240, Beaverton OR 97006

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
> ... I am getting the incorrect result with
>  $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR. For some reason, no matter I have set/exported the
> variable to my own value, like /opt/applications/test2/gemstone/log, I
> always get '/opt/gemstone/log'.

Sent from the GLASS mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] Fwd: Who is overriding $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR ?

Good catch. I've submitted internal bug #44216 so that we can get this patch included in the product (possibly 3.2.1) ...

Dale

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

GEMSTONE_NRS_ALL is probably the best way to guarantee that all log files get put into the same spot, so if part of your env var set up is to do the following:

  export GEMSTONE_NRS_ALL=#dir:$GEMSTONE_LOG_DIR

before starting your netldis, then all of the logs should end up in the right spot ...

Thanks Dale. That was actually the problem. It seems setting GEMSTONE_LOGDIR was not enough.
Setting the above worked perfectly. Finally....I have all logs and pids in their correct folder :)

> [...]

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the answer. Good point. I have restarted the netldi just in case but same problem. I made sure that the variables are correctly exported when I started netldi and they were...
So I might have a problem elsewhere.... :(

Bill Erickson
GemTalk Systems Engineering
15220 NW Greenbrier Parkway #240, Beaverton OR 97006

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
> ... I am getting the incorrect result with
>  $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR. For some reason, no matter I have set/exported the
> variable to my own value, like /opt/applications/test2/gemstone/log, I
> always get '/opt/gemstone/log'.

Sent from the GLASS mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Fwd: Who is overriding $GEMSTONE_LOGDIR ?

GLASS mailing list

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano,

Good catch. I've submitted internal bug #44216 so that we can get this patch included in the product (possibly 3.2.1) ...

Hi Dale, do you know if that issue was finally integrated? Because I still see 3.2.9 misc.sh doing: