[Glass] tools/objectLog web tool and stack traces?

[Glass] tools/objectLog web tool and stack traces?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi guys,

I was quite amazed with GemTools and how I could debug my local gemstone. But when I tried to connect to a remote instance, I understood what you said it was slow ;)
So for the "porting" of my app, I have no problem because I can do everything with my local gemstone and then with topaz and metacello I load stuff in my remote gemstone.

But there is one thing I miss about GemTools and a remote instance: debug problems. I know I could copy the extents to my machine and debug it here, but moving the extents over the wire can take me several hours.

So....I wonder, which are all possibilities we have to debug a problem in a remote GemStone? Say a typical seaside walkback.

1) I guess logs. I am still a bit lost in which log the stack traces of an error is stored. I checked in /opt/gemstone and I don't seem to find them. I am talking about something like the PharoDebug.log

2) ObjectLog. I saw there is a web tool WAObjectLog but I can see only the log..I cannot seem to see the stack traces

Since I am still porting the app, it is likely most of my problems will be DNUs or something like that. So it is likely that a simple stack trace would help.
But...say that at some point I would really like to really debug it, which options do I have besides copying the extens to my local gemstone?
Dale, is it tODE ready for this? (debug from the Object Log)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: [Glass] tools/objectLog web tool and stack traces?

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi James,

That looks like the same functionality as the "Debug" menu from GemTools. This is unusable for me (because it is very very very slow to actually debug) for a remote server.
Do you know if Jade performance is good enough for debugging an object log of a remote gemstone?

Thanks

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM, James Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] tools/objectLog web tool and stack traces?

Paul DeBruicker
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

tODE can't debug and restart errors that happened in other gems that are on the object log.  See this issue:

https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode/issues/39

You can inspect the stack though.

I sometimes use GemTools on the remote server and use ssh -X forwarding to get the GUI.  Its faster than local GemTools + remote GemStone because only the X11 stuff is sent over the wire.  See here:

http://onsmalltalk.com/2010-10-23-faster-remote-gemstone

Its tolerable for sure.

Re: [Glass] tools/objectLog web tool and stack traces?

Mariano Martinez Peck
What a great idea!!!! I have just tested it and it works like a charm :)
And yes, it is tolerable!

Thanks guys, thanks james also for the Jade.

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
> Hi guys,
>
> I was quite amazed with GemTools and how I could debug my local gemstone.
> But when I tried to connect to a remote instance, I understood what you
> said it was slow ;)
> So for the "porting" of my app, I have no problem because I can do
> everything with my local gemstone and then with topaz and metacello I load
> stuff in my remote gemstone.
>
> But there is one thing I miss about GemTools and a remote instance: debug
> problems. I know I could copy the extents to my machine and debug it here,
> but moving the extents over the wire can take me several hours.
>
> So....I wonder, which are all possibilities we have to debug a problem in
> remote GemStone? Say a typical seaside walkback.
>
> 1) I guess logs. I am still a bit lost in which log the stack traces of an
> error is stored. I checked in /opt/gemstone and I don't seem to find them.
> I am talking about something like the PharoDebug.log
>
> 2) ObjectLog. I saw there is a web tool WAObjectLog but I can see only the
> log..I cannot seem to see the stack traces
>
> Since I am still porting the app, it is likely most of my problems will be
> DNUs or something like that. So it is likely that a simple stack trace
> would help.
> But...say that at some point I would really like to really debug it, which
> options do I have besides copying the extens to my local gemstone?
> Dale, is it tODE ready for this? (debug from the Object Log)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help!
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

tODE can't debug and restart errors that happened in other gems that are on
the object log.  See this issue:

https://github.com/dalehenrich/tode/issues/39

You can inspect the stack though.

I sometimes use GemTools on the remote server and use ssh -X forwarding to
get the GUI.  Its faster than local GemTools + remote GemStone because only
the X11 stuff is sent over the wire.  See here:

http://onsmalltalk.com/2010-10-23-faster-remote-gemstone

Its tolerable for sure.

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Glass] tools/objectLog web tool and stack traces?

Martin McClure-5
On 11/27/2013 01:15 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
> What a great idea!!!! I have just tested it and it works like a charm :)
> And yes, it is tolerable!
>
> Thanks guys, thanks james also for the Jade.

I'm glad that's working better for you. X forwarding can be fairly slow
itself, due to its being a chatty protocol with lots of network round
trips between client and server, so it's very sensitive to the latency
of the connection.

I've had good luck using NX, which is a clever proxy X server/client
pair that makes the chattiness go away. More recently, I've seen
recommendations for X2Go [1] as being based on NX but better.

Regards,

-Martin

[1] http://x2go.org/doku.php