Gofer and the Bootstrap

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I'd like to make the bootstrap still tighter... It seems that Gofer could be assumed for most Pharo versions, no?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Gofer and the Bootstrap

Dale Henrichs
I don't know exactly when Gofer became part of the base, so it's true that it is there for most but not all...

Dale

| I'd like to make the bootstrap still tighter... It seems that Gofer
| could be
| assumed for most Pharo versions, no?

Re: Gofer and the Bootstrap

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Dale Henrichs wrote
I don't know exactly when Gofer became part of the base, so it's true that it is there for most but not all...
I'll look into it... b.t.w. Mariano mentioned he was experimenting with instant bootstrapping via Fuel...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Gofer and the Bootstrap

Dale Henrichs
Cool! Metacello will still need bootstrapping logic, but zippy loads will be great!

Dale

| > I don't know exactly when Gofer became part of the base, so it's
| > true that
| > it is there for most but not all...
| >

| I'll look into it... b.t.w. Mariano mentioned he was experimenting
| with
| /instant/ bootstrapping via Fuel...

Re: Gofer and the Bootstrap

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Dale Henrichs wrote
I don't know exactly when Gofer became part of the base, so it's true that it is there for most but not all...
I took a baby step (committed to sqs/MetacelloRepo... and gemstone)...

ConfigurationOfMetacello-SeanDeNigris.707
Update bootstrap package versions in ConfigurationOfMetacello class>>bootstrapMetacelloFrom: to those from the stable version (1.0-beta.31.1.4)

And I did a little research... Gofer-Core > 115 (the version enforced by the bootstrap) has been part of Pharo (including Pharo Core) since 1.0, so 0.x would be the only time we have no Gofer. What is the best way to take advantage of that info?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Gofer and the Bootstrap

Dale Henrichs
ensureGofer only loads if there's an earlier version of the package loaded (at least that's the intent), so it may not really be necessary to do anything.

GemStone has had Gofer included (along with Metacello) and if Gofer has been included in Pharo, we could make it conditional for Squeak only (or load only if Gofer isn't already present ... which may be the way the code is written)...

Dale