[Goodie] Profile It Menu Item

Ken Causey-3
This is my attempt to implement a menu item 'Profile It' like 'Tally It'
and friends.

You can find it at http://kencausey.com/squeak/ProfileIt-klc.2.cs.gz and
it is attached.

ProfileIt-klc.2.cs (3K) Download Attachment

Re: [Goodie] Profile It Menu Item

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi Ken

where this menu popup because (I do not have the time to check now)
but this is indeed a cool guy to have around. Alex was playing with
the same idea so that
we can select any expression and get a tally it.

Do you mind if we harvest it in 3.9 (modulo it does not break
something else).

Stef

On 2 mars 06, at 23:38, Ken Causey wrote:

> This is my attempt to implement a menu item 'Profile It' like
> 'Tally It'
> and friends.
>
> You can find it at http://kencausey.com/squeak/ProfileIt-klc.
> 2.cs.gz and
> it is attached.
> <ProfileIt-klc.2.cs>

Re: [Goodie] Profile It Menu Item

Ken Causey-3
Stef,

It pops up where you would expect it in the first context menu under

do it (d)
print it (p)
inspect it (i)
explore it (I)
debug it
tally it

and then

profile it

for example in a Workspace or Transcript.

I don't mind at all if you harvest this for 3.9, however, I only added
this to ParagraphEditor which I believe means that it does not show up
absolutely everwhere that 'do it' and friends does.  Give me a little
time today and I'll see if I can't rectify that and send you a new
version.

Thanks,

Ken

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 11:13 +0100, stéphane ducasse wrote:

> Hi Ken
>
> where this menu popup because (I do not have the time to check now)
> but this is indeed a cool guy to have around. Alex was playing with
> the same idea so that
> we can select any expression and get a tally it.
>
> Do you mind if we harvest it in 3.9 (modulo it does not break
> something else).
>
> Stef
>

> On 2 mars 06, at 23:38, Ken Causey wrote:
>
> > This is my attempt to implement a menu item 'Profile It' like
> > 'Tally It'
> > and friends.
> >
> > You can find it at http://kencausey.com/squeak/ProfileIt-klc.
> > 2.cs.gz and
> > it is attached.
> > <ProfileIt-klc.2.cs>

Re: [Goodie] Profile It Menu Item

timrowledge

On 3-Mar-06, at 10:29 AM, Ken Causey wrote:

> Stef,
>
> It pops up where you would expect it in the first context menu under
>
> do it (d)
> print it (p)
> inspect it (i)
> explore it (I)
> debug it
> tally it
>
> and then
>
> profile it
>
> for example in a Workspace or Transcript.

I think we're getting well beyond any sense in the UI here with so
many near-redundant options. Generally it is a bad idea to stray far
from the idiom of "7 items +/- 2" in a menu.

Perhaps someone with recent experience of the right parts of Morphic
could make some decent hierarchical menus for us to use?

What I'd like to propose is a menu that has entries like

find> *1
copy
cut
paste> *2
do it> *3
print it
accept
cancel
more> *4

where the entries with > can be chosen the normal way to find, past,
do it OR by moving right over the > open a submenu with further
options related to the main one

*1>set search string
      find again
      replace

*2>paste item 1
     paste item 2
   etc from paste history list

*3>print it
     inspect it
     explore it
     debug it
     tally it

*4> ack. Have you looked at what's in the 'more' menu recently?

The crucial implementation detail to make this at all usable would be
very rapid handling of the menus. Using a submenu entry would need to
be as simple and quick and press menu button, move mouse to main
entry, move across submenu arrow, move to submenu entry, release menu
button.

tim
EBCDIC: Erase, Back up, Chew Disk, Ignite Card

Re: [Goodie] Profile It Menu Item

Ken Causey-3
Here is another version of my goodie which attempts to add this new menu
item to all appropriate menus.  As before it can also be found on my
website at

http://kencausey.com/squeak/ProfileIt-klc.4.cs.gz

In general I agree with Tim that there is an awful lot of stuff in the
menus and this goodie may just make it worse.  However I'm not in a
position to pursue that right now so I'll leave it to others to decide
whether to use this in it's current form, change it, or simply ignore
it.

Ken

P.S. As I assume the case is with all goodies this is licensed under
SqueakL.  http://www.squeak.org/SqueakLicense/

ProfileIt-klc.4.cs.gz (3K) Download Attachment

Re: [Goodie] Profile It Menu Item

Jason Rogers-4
I just tried installing this into a 3.8 image and it failed.  I think
it failed because I don't have OmniBrowser installed.

--
Jason Rogers

"Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    Proverbs 29:18

Re: [Goodie] Profile It Menu Item

Ken Causey-3
I don't think the lack of OB is the problem.  A large part of this
goodies interfaces with PlusTools and friends.  3.9a has two sets of
tools and any particular user could be using either one.  That means
there is two version of the TimeProfileBrowser and I had to add some
code to properly detect and use the appropriate one.  I don't suppose
this code is of any value to you in 3.8.  If you examine the changeset
you can relatively easily adapt it by ignoring changes to any class that
ends or starts in in 'Plus' or 'ToolSet'.  Also I see I did modify an
OBDefinitionPanel method, and you can of course ignore that.  The
instance and class changes to ParagraphEditor and PluggableTextMorph
cover most uses.  Note that you will need to run 'ParagraphEditor
initialize' as the postscript does.

Ken