Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

12

Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi smalltalkers. I have been asked to be the admin of GSoC 2010. The backup or second admin is Janko Mivšek. As you may know, Squeak has participated in GSoC 2007, 2008 but failed (not accepted) in 2009. We are not sure if we will succeed this year but we will try to do as much as possible.

We think that one of the most important reasons why we failed in 2009 is that Google was looking for bigger communities that Squeak. This is why this year we all go under the ESUG umbrella. We present ESUG as the mentor organization and we cover ALL open-source Smalltalk dialects, not only Squeak. Pharo, Smalltalk/X, GNU Smalltalk, Cuis..they are all invited to participate. Also cross platform projects like Seaside, AidaWeb, Magma, etc are welcome.

<forThoseWhoDoesntKnowWhatGSoCIs>
It is a Google program that support (money) students to work on different open-source projects. Google doesn't talk or manage directly to the students but trough "Mentoring Organisations". Those organizations have to apply to GSoC. They have to give a lot of information, included a list of ideas/projects. Each project has a description and a mentor. Then the students apply for each project. If the organization gets selected by Google they will tell you how many "slots" they give. Suppose they give 5 but we have 20 projects....then we vote and the most voted projects win. The student has to do the project and the mentor has to help and guide him. The mentor receives 500 USD and the student 4500USD.
For more information read: http://code.google.com/soc/
</forThoseWhoDoesntKnowWhatGSoCIs>

The most important thing is the deadlines we have. We started late so we are very near to the first deadline which is 12/03/2010 (less than one week). For that deadline we need to submit all the information of the mentor organization (answering several questions) and give the list of ideas/projects and the mentors of that.

We have created a webpage (Thanks Janko!!) where we will put all the information. We will make this page public soon (we still need to review a couple of things).
But for the moment we would REALLY appreciate if tell us your ideas. To do this, just answer to this email. Then we will collect the information and put in the website. For each idea you need:  a short title and a paragraph (for the moment) explaining the idea.
After, we need that the people that are willing to be mentors start to apply as mentors...please, consider yourself being mentor. Sometimes it is not that difficult. I mean, don't be shy as sometimes being helpful, being aware of the dates, answering emails, etc is more important than the Smalltalk knoweldege. We can have a lot of ideas, but we need also mentors for that. We even would need a "substitute" for each mentor...

Just as an example you can see the ideas of the previous years:
2007: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5936
2008: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6031
2009: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6120

That's all for the moment.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Mariano Martinez Peck

4) Build a continuous integration server using Seaside, Iliad or AidaWeb.  Build an interface to version control systems (possibly supporting both independent systems such as Monticello or file-based such as svn/CVS/git) that can be used from Smalltalk and integrate it with Smalllint code reports.  For a more ambitious project, the server should be able to start a new image, upgrade the package, run SUnit tests there and communicate back the results---the time to upgrade the package should be minimized of course!

5) Work on a cross-dialect foreign function call interface and implement it in at least two dialects.  Candidates include Alien and GNU Smalltalk's CObject (using existing implementation has the advantage of having to implement in only _one_ other dialect!).  Bonus points for implementing a C parser that would be able to construct bindings.  GNU Smalltalk already contains a C preprocessor implementation.

Yes!!! And make it (optionally at least) not to block the complete VM while a function is being called.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Mariano Martinez Peck
A little correction. At the beginning I though only open-source Smalltalk dialects were possible, but now Janko let me know that non open-source dialects are welcome too. What really has to be open-source is the project/idea in particular, but the Smalltalk dialect in itself can be non open-source.

Sorry for the noise.

Mariano

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: [Esug-list] HTTP messaging project (was Google Summer of Code..)

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 03/07/2010 10:59 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:
> This is actually very good idea and because we need to reimplement the
> Swazoo HTTP messaging part due to licensing reasons anyway, even more
> timely.

Don't get me started on this...  Are you sure there's no more pressing
need for Swazoo?

Paolo

Re: [Seaside] Re: [Esug-list] HTTP messaging project (was Google Summer of Code..)

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 03/07/2010 11:17 AM, Janko Mivšek wrote:

>> >  Don't get me started on this...  Are you sure there's no more pressing
>> >  need for Swazoo?
> Certainly, like improving the HTTP Server part according to your
> suggestions and actual code. Also unifiying the portability layer (Sport
> and Grease) under a common umbrella is a good idea, then we can move
> Swazoo on that layer.
>
> But Julian's idea came just at the right moment and it has a broader
> appeal. We can then redesign the HTTP server part in the meantime. I see
> many synergies there.

Ok, then I agree. :-)  But let's set the priorities straight. :-)

Paolo

Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Mariano Martinez Peck

5) Work on a cross-dialect foreign function call interface and implement it in at least two dialects.  Candidates include Alien and GNU Smalltalk's CObject (using existing implementation has the advantage of having to implement in only _one_ other dialect!).  Bonus points for implementing a C parser that would be able to construct bindings.  GNU Smalltalk already contains a C preprocessor implementation.

I think this project could be a good idea for GSoC.  As I said, I would love if it (optionally at least) could not to block the complete VM while a function is being called.

I would also love what you said: parse .h of libraries and automatically create the wrapper for Smalltalk. At least create the invocations to the functions, and map the structures to objects...

We need to write a title, a little description and if possible titles like "technical details", "benefits to the students" and "benefits to the community".

If you are interested please send it to me and I add it to the list.

We also need a mentor (and a student, of course)...anyone is willing to do it ?

Cheers

Mariano

Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Gilad Bracha-2
I'm all for it, and hope that John or Eliot can mentor. Datapoints I'll add:

There is some support for parsing C headers in the Newspeak system.
Aliens have been ported to Strongtalk as well as Squeak.

Finally - what licensing would apply if GNU Smalltalk were used?  GPL is a big problem. Even LGPL elicits an immune response in a lot of commercial contexts.  Is there a GSoC policy on this?

Cheers, Gilad

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Gilad Bracha <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm all for it, and hope that John or Eliot can mentor. Datapoints I'll add:

There is some support for parsing C headers in the Newspeak system.
Aliens have been ported to Strongtalk as well as Squeak.

Finally - what licensing would apply if GNU Smalltalk were used?  GPL is a big problem. Even LGPL elicits an immune response in a lot of commercial contexts.  Is there a GSoC policy on this?

Yes, as you can read here:

http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#licenses

it says:

  1. What licenses do I have choose from?
  2. That depends on your mentoring organization. All code created by student participants must be released under an Open Source Initiative approved license. It's also extremely likely that your mentoring organization will have a preferred license(s) and that you will need to release your code under the license(s) chosen by that organization.

And as you can read in the link, LGPL seems to be accepted...so, from the GSoC point of view there is no problem with the license.

Cheers

Mariano

[...]

Cheers, Gilad

Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Andres Valloud-4
Mariano et al,

On 3/7/10 15:09 , Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

>     5) Work on a cross-dialect foreign function call interface and
>     implement it in at least two dialects.  Candidates include Alien
>     and GNU Smalltalk's CObject (using existing implementation has the
>     advantage of having to implement in only _one_ other dialect!).
>      Bonus points for implementing a C parser that would be able to
>     construct bindings.  GNU Smalltalk already contains a C
>     preprocessor implementation.

Note that the goal of obtaining function declarations for the FFI from
parsing header files and such is not possible in general terms (linker
macros, private compiler macros), and sometimes it is counterproductive
because it violates C encapsulation (e.g.: Single Unix Specification
does not specify layout or all the members of structs).  It may work
sometimes, or even most of the time, but please keep in mind using a C
compiler for small C stubs (primitives of some sort) may be
significantly better in some cases.  Also, if you write a C stub as a
primitive, then you can assume the structure of the receiver and that of
the arguments, and in turn this can make marshaling easier...

Andres.

Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

stephane ducasse-2
Mariano

Well I do not know anybody writing code under LGPL in Smalltalk.
So this is an issue. I think that having a license mess will not help. So we do not care about the fact that the project
use a apporved license, we care that people can/will use it afterwards.
So LGPL is not a good idea.

Stef

On Mar 8, 2010, at 12:29 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Gilad Bracha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm all for it, and hope that John or Eliot can mentor. Datapoints I'll add:
>
> There is some support for parsing C headers in the Newspeak system.
> Aliens have been ported to Strongtalk as well as Squeak.
>

> Finally - what licensing would apply if GNU Smalltalk were used?  GPL is a big problem. Even LGPL elicits an immune response in a lot of commercial contexts.  Is there a GSoC policy on this?
>

> Yes, as you can read here:
>
> http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs#licenses
>
> it says:
>
> • What licenses do I have choose from?
> That depends on your mentoring organization. All code created by student participants must be released under an Open Source Initiative approved license. It's also extremely likely that your mentoring organization will have a preferred license(s) and that you will need to release your code under the license(s) chosen by that organization.
>

> And as you can read in the link, LGPL seems to be accepted...so, from the GSoC point of view there is no problem with the license.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> 5) Work on a cross-dialect foreign function call interface and implement it in at least two dialects.  Candidates include Alien and GNU Smalltalk's CObject (using existing implementation has the advantage of having to implement in only _one_ other dialect!).  Bonus points for implementing a C parser that would be able to construct bindings.  GNU Smalltalk already contains a C preprocessor implementation.
>

> I think this project could be a good idea for GSoC.  As I said, I would love if it (optionally at least) could not to block the complete VM while a function is being called.
>
> I would also love what you said: parse .h of libraries and automatically create the wrapper for Smalltalk. At least create the invocations to the functions, and map the structures to objects...
>
> We need to write a title, a little description and if possible titles like "technical details", "benefits to the students" and "benefits to the community".
>
> If you are interested please send it to me and I add it to the list.
>
> We also need a mentor (and a student, of course)...anyone is willing to do it ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>

> --
> Cheers, Gilad

Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Jan Vrany
Hi all,

> There is some support for parsing C headers in the Newspeak system.
> Aliens have been ported to Strongtalk as well as Squeak.

Couple of year ago, I've created Cface, a semi-automatic C-binding
generator that parses C headers. I was written in a dialect agnostic
way.
It uses gcc-xml for parsing C headers and set of XSLT stylesheets
to create lisp-like representation of a C header file. This lisp-like
file is then read by Smalltalk parser and AST is created. Such AST
is then processed by visitors. Cface was never finished (is there any
piece of code that was ever finished? :-)

The code is at http://smalltalk.felk.cvut.cz/svn/cvut/fel/cface/
Feel free to (re)use it. Written in Smalltalk/X.

Cheers, Jan

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 00:24, Gilad Bracha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm all for it, and hope that John or Eliot can mentor. Datapoints I'll add:
> There is some support for parsing C headers in the Newspeak system.
> Aliens have been ported to Strongtalk as well as Squeak.
> Finally - what licensing would apply if GNU Smalltalk were used?  GPL is a
> big problem. Even LGPL elicits an immune response in a lot of commercial
> contexts.  Is there a GSoC policy on this?

Last year's GST project was released under MIT license.  The GST
distribution includes in fact several MIT packages without relicensing
it.

It is also perfectly possible to develop a single GSoC under a variety
of licenses (GPL/LGPL for code that will go in GNU Smalltalk, MIT for
something else).  If there is need, I'll take care with the student of
the FSF copyright assignment fo GST-specific code.

In other words, licensing is the least of the problems.

BTW, I took a look at Aliens and it would be possible to port CObject
to Squeak basing it on Aliens, since it provides a higher-level
framework.  Doing vice-versa would also be possible.  A description of
CObject can be found starting at

http://www.gnu.org/software/smalltalk/manual/html_node/C-and-Smalltalk.html#C-and-Smalltalk

Gilad, in your experience what % of the bindings you wrote were
Smalltalk and what % was C code?  Did you have any performance
problems that you could fix using more C code?

Paolo

Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Paolo Bonzini-2
> We need to write a title, a little description and if possible titles like
> "technical details", "benefits to the students" and "benefits to the
> community".
>
> If you are interested please send it to me and I add it to the list.
>
> We also need a mentor (and a student, of course)...anyone is willing to do
> it ?

I'm willing to co-mentor it, depending on the focus of the project,
though I'd prefer the Grease projects more.

Just a note: our proposals are _ideas_.  A student will be able to
come up with something completely different, and we will have to find
a mentor and everything else.

Paolo

Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Alexandre Bergel-5
Hi Jan!

I wasn't aware of gcc-xml. I used srcml for translating C programs
into xml files.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Paolo Bonzini-2
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 16:10, John O'Keefe
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am willing to co-mentor a Grease project and/or a portable TCPIP
> implementation (we will need this for the OpenSSL project anyway).

I can contribute the GNU Smalltalk TCP/IP implementation under
whatever license.  It's all written by me(*) so I can relicense it.

(*) see http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=smalltalk.git;a=blob;f=packages/sockets/ChangeLog;h=ab405c72a1698ce00bac93965fc856ef0b3d08ce;hb=HEAD
UnixStream.st is not anymore part of the package, and Nicolas Burrus'
work is not present anymore since I introduce IPv6 support.

Paolo

Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!

Eliot Miranda-2

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Gilad Bracha <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm all for it, and hope that John or Eliot can mentor.

I would like to mentor something in this area, but I think the basic goal of a cross-platform system is not achievable in GSoC this summer.  A specification of a non-blocking architecture and a reference implementation may be possible.  Cross-platform is too big for a summer project and will require input from dialects and vendors.  What affects my thinking is the following:

1.  I designed and implemented the VisualWorks THAPI system, a threaded extension to the VisualWorks FFI.

2.  I have a functional prototype of a multi-threaded FFI for the Cog VM based on David Simmons' VMs.

1's architecture is poor, being complex, slow and not very general (allows only FFI calls to be threaded).
2's architecture is rather simple, rather fast and very general (allows threading to be much more widely used, e.g. calls within plugins can be made threaded by surrounding them with two calls, disownVM and ownVM).

3. I have looked at marshalling semantics in the context of the VW FFI, Andreas' Squeak FFI & Alien, and am still of the opinion, one shared by David,
- that the generation of marshalling stubs has to be lifted up into Smalltalk based on simple ABI compilers that somehow (e.g. through RTL) communicate down to a JIT that generates and caches marshalling code (i.e. that VM attempts to interpret simplified call specs, as happens in the VM and Squeak FFIs are in general doomed to poor performance and bugs)
- that type coercion code also has to be lifted (e.g. character conversions on strings, null termination, type coercion)
- that one be able to depend on a pinning garbage collector to deal with the issues of passing objects through the FFI (although there are workaround hacks that can serve temporarily)

I don't see the point of spending a GSoC trying to implement an obsolete (unthreaded, lowest-common-denominator) cross-platform FFI; it won't get used.  I do see benefit in an open-source reference implementation that provides some of the above (at least threading/non-blocking).  If people agree that an open-source reference implementation is worth pursuing, then I will happily mentor.  What the starting point is will depend on to what extent Cog has been open sourced  (Teleplace may choose to open source single-threaded Cog initially, keeping back the threaded FFI for a while, it may not open source Cog at all; we'll see :) ).  There are other starting points (current Squeak VMs, GST, Newspeak).

But the outline above is a move towards better cross-platform commonality, not less, because it's an architecture in which the image does more (type coercion, compiling call signatures to RTL sequences) and the VM (except for the threading ;) ) does less.  And so this direction does lead towards better cross-platform facilities.

best
Eliot

MIT strikes back (was Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!)

Paolo Bonzini-2
On 03/10/2010 05:06 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> What the starting point is will depend on to what extent Cog has
>> been open sourced  (Teleplace may choose to open source
>> single-threaded Cog initially, keeping back the threaded FFI for
>> a while, it may not open source Cog at all; we'll see :) ).
> May be I the only one to notice the:)   which I have problem to
> understand since for me it announces that COG may not be
> open-source.

Isn't this what you wanted to allow companies to do, when you chose the
MIT license?  I don't understand, why should you care?

I see some irony...

Paolo

Re: MIT strikes back (was Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!)

Miguel Cobá
El mié, 10-03-2010 a las 17:16 +0100, Paolo Bonzini escribió:

> On 03/10/2010 05:06 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
> >> What the starting point is will depend on to what extent Cog has
> >> been open sourced  (Teleplace may choose to open source
> >> single-threaded Cog initially, keeping back the threaded FFI for
> >> a while, it may not open source Cog at all; we'll see :) ).
> > May be I the only one to notice the:)   which I have problem to
> > understand since for me it announces that COG may not be
> > open-source.
>
> Isn't this what you wanted to allow companies to do, when you chose the
> MIT license?  I don't understand, why should you care?
>
> I see some irony...

I don't see such. The point Stef is talking about isn't the license or
if Teleplace is right/wrong in keeping close Cog that started from
squeakvm sources (I think). They *are* in their right to take it and
keep it close if they want (if the license is MIT/BSD)

The point is that since a year Eliot has maintained the statement that
*sometime* Cog will be available (and implicitly, open sourced) to the
community. The text Stef cites, suggest that maybe that wouldn't happen.

That Cog maybe will be a closed-source project inside Teleplace and the
whole squeak world will continue using the squeakvm just as now. Not
that that is bad, the squeakvm we all use now is very capable and has
powered a lot of applications without major issues.

So if Cog is release, good for all, if not, well, we'll  not be in a
worst position than now.

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: MIT strikes back (was Re: [smalltalk-research] Re: [Esug-list] Google Summer Of Code 2010 news!!!)

Paolo Bonzini-3
> I don't see such. The point Stef is talking about isn't the license or
> if Teleplace is right/wrong in keeping close Cog that started from
> squeakvm sources (I think). They *are* in their right to take it and
> keep it close if they want (if the license is MIT/BSD)

Exactly.  Plus, Eliot has been so kind as to blog about his Cog work,
and his posts are so good that it should be possible even to make a
GSoC project about reimplementing it.

A pity?  Yes.

A surprise?  No.

Paolo

El mié, 10-03-2010 a las 17:48 +0100, Paolo Bonzini escribió:
> > I don't see such. The point Stef is talking about isn't the license or
> > if Teleplace is right/wrong in keeping close Cog that started from
> > squeakvm sources (I think). They *are* in their right to take it and
> > keep it close if they want (if the license is MIT/BSD)
>
> Exactly.  Plus, Eliot has been so kind as to blog about his Cog work,
> and his posts are so good that it should be possible even to make a
> GSoC project about reimplementing it.

Well, I don't think that would be that easy. Eliot's fame is very well
gained. Not something that 99.99% of people could redo. At least I don't
even try to do. That is beyond my abilities for sure.

> A pity?  Yes.
>
> A surprise?  No.

Then I don't see the irony?

--