Green Screen using Etoys

Steve Thomas
FYI, I just uploaded a video demonstrating how you can use Etoys to create a Green Screen effect.

To do this I purchased a $30US Green Screen, but it can also be done with a green folder (~$0.35US).  Kids can use this to create their own stop motion animations, recording a set of movements once, then re-using that set of movements in multiple scenes, with different backgrounds and other "actors".

In the next Etoys Minute and hopefully Blog Post I'll do a Squeak code walk through of code and post a link to the project so others can try it for themselves.

Stephen

Re: Green Screen using Etoys

Harness, Kathleen
Hi Steve,
I liked the green screen idea. You do give a very clear explanation in a very short time.
Thanks for the idea
Kathleen

Re: Green Screen using Etoys

Steve Thomas
Kathleen,

Thanks,  I could see this used two ways with students:
  1. In a project where the algorithm is already coded and you simply tune a parameter for your particular Green Screen and lighting.
  2. Where the kids themselves learn the algorithm and code it (I am uploading a video now to explain how the algorithm works).
I am uploading a video now explaining how the code works and testing the whole idea out on a group of kids 10-16 where they write the code.  These kids actually used the algorithm in a course I told them to take in parrallel to what I am teaching  (Coursera CS101).
Now I am going to try and see how well that knowledge transfers when they try and implement it in Squeak.
One thing I will probably do different next time is break down certain portions of the lesson into smaller chunks.

Stephen