HATAC/MacArthur Grant Competition

Julian Lombardi
Attention Croqueteers:

Call for Entries:
DIGITAL MEDIA AND LEARNING COMPETITION
www.dmlcompetition.net
HASTAC and the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation are mobilizing the field of Digital Media and Learning through a $2 million open call competition designed to support innovation and networking.
Application Deadline: October 15, 2007 (8 pm EDT, 5 pm PDT)
To learn more about the Competition, visit http://www.dmlcompetition.net

-Julian

Julian Lombardi, Ph.D.
Assistant Vice President
Academic Services and Technology Support
Duke University Office of Information Technology
334 Blackwell Street, Suite 2109
Durham, North Carolina 27701
United States of America

+1.919.323.5016 mobile / primary
+1.919.668.9547 fax
+1.919.668.0341 admin/scheduling

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"  - Alan Kay

RE: HATAC/MacArthur Grant Competition

Ron Teitelbaum

Just FYI:

Intellectual Property

Applicants must ensure that any intellectual property owned by others and used in their submissions is approved for use and appropriately attributed.

The intellectual property rights will be retained by award winners; however, as a condition of being funded, the award winner must agree to license such rights in accordance with the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution, Non-Commercial, ShareAlike License. If a project results in commercial use and profit to the award winner, then fifty (50) percent of any such profit will accrue to the University of California Humanities Research Institute to be used for future awards or other charitable purposes.

Ron Teitelbaum

RE: HATAC/MacArthur Grant Competition

Les Howell
The Hollywood marketeers don't take that much.  Even Probono lawyers
only generally take 30%.  How low can a university get?  Do they think
they contribute 50% to the development and resources for such projects.

Just my honest opinion.

Regards,
Les H
On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 12:27 -0400, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:

> Just FYI:
>

> Intellectual Property
> Applicants must ensure that any intellectual property owned by others
> and used in their submissions is approved for use and appropriately
> attributed.
>
> The intellectual property rights will be retained by award winners;
> however, as a condition of being funded, the award winner must agree
> to license such rights in accordance with the terms of the Creative
> Commons Attribution, Non-Commercial, ShareAlike License. If a project
> results in commercial use and profit to the award winner, then fifty
> (50) percent of any such profit will accrue to the University of
> California Humanities Research Institute to be used for future awards
> or other charitable purposes.
>
> Ron Teitelbaum

Howard Stearns-3
Are for-profit educational institutions and for-profit corporations
eligible?

It depends on the interpretation of the commas in this statement:
  "The Competition encourages applications from individuals as well as
nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, and corporations."

--
Howard Stearns
AIM: qwaqHoward
Qwaq: +1-650-331-1437
mobile: +1-608-658-2419

known worlds list

Andrew Burrell
hi all,

has anybody had any luck looking at the known world list said to
reside at:

http://earth.software.umn.edu/cgi-bin/KnownWorlds

I just keep getting an empty table. Alternatively is there a list of
accessible worlds elsewhere?

cheers
andrew

andrew burrell
http://www.miscellanea.com

RE: known worlds list

mp_1812
I experience the same problem. The table is displayed empty. Is there anybody
who knows where to look for an alternative list of worlds.

andrew burrell
http://www.miscellanea.com

Re: known worlds list

Liz Wendland
Hi,

The known worlds feature was something we did as an experiment.  When
one was running one of the croquet spaces with a menu bar, you could
choose Space>>PublishActiveSpace.  Now you are registered so that other
people will see your space as an entry when they choose Space>>View
KnownWorlds and will remain on that list as long as your space continues
running (it times out if you quit).  Unfortunately, I just tested trying
to join my published world from another croquet instance and got an
error.   I hope if someone is really interested in this code they might
explore it a bit.  I can also provide the web site code that we are
running.  Just let me know.

Hope this helps,
Liz Wendland
University of Minnesota

[hidden email] wrote:

> I experience the same problem. The table is displayed empty. Is there anybody
> who knows where to look for an alternative list of worlds.

Paul Sheldon-2
I read a bunch of posts early morning and drowsy. I feel dense
but got the idea that this is sort of like a digital art galery
of which I heard from a French list there were studies presented
in meetings. "Would digital art galleries devalue art they made available
on the internet or promote the art? Would they devalue real art galleries?"
were questions that were conversation starters for these meetings.

I once made a VR buckyball that I was proud of but no one would want to take

home but me as something of major art value in resale.

;-)

I did want to show what I could do to the computer club to stimulate
conversation in graphics or composition of ideas rather than "vetted" ads
for "vetted" products (close copies of commercials). I get disgusted by a
relative
who constantly passes on literature without citing source or worse
maintaining
allegation of source without checking through the internet and passing on
an allegation in an engineered advertisement as a copy rather than a real
conversation in a computer club scares me as some sort of disease.

We had a bulletin board where I could post graphics programs that did
wierd graphical things, but then the club became security concious and
claimed
they didn't have the room for large files but mine were only 4k, absurd.
They allow programs by noncommercial enterprises and they fear
no accountability for trojan worms or whatnot erasing hard drives.
Only use programs that require password installs rather than ones that just
run.
Oh boy.

No more display of conversation starters for anything but commercials.

I am not immediately able to come up with something for this contest,
but, if I could make something better than a buckyball someday
and show it and start a conversation and not be considered the harbinger
of a major security threat, I'd give much more than 50% of profits.

I might like a special zone for noncommercial newbies to compete in, too.

;-)