HTTPS

Robert Calco
OK, since I mentioned this problem area as a relative weakness of Pharo in a separate list for the VW non-commercial, I suppose it would be right to close the loop and ask how people get HTTPS working on Pharo. I'm talking about both scenarios, as client and server.

The client scenario is calling XMLRPC servers over HTTPS. I did not get this to work out of the box after installing XmlRpcClient libraries, as the underlying Http Client libraries in Pharo do not have SSL support. It seems the preferred answer is to use Apache to proxy the calls to any URL requiring SSL support. I know about Zodiac but could not get it working quickly and just went with VW for developing the first iteration of my integration with multiple XMLRPC APIs.

The server scenario involves supporting calls over HTTPS using, say, Aida or Seaside. It's easy in this case to say just let the web server (Apache) handle that, but what if I want to use Swazoo (to keep moving parts to a minimum)? I do most development on Windows, where I usually have IIS installed (for .NET stuff), and that plays nice with absolutely no one.

Specifically, I have to be able to support a site that variously accepts HTTP and HTTPS calls, so I'd have to run it on multiple ports, at a minimum.

How can I get both scenarios to work in Pharo without involving Apache?

--
Bob Calco

Re: HTTPS

Marcus Denker-4

On Feb 18, 2012, at 11:28 AM, Robert Calco wrote:

> I know about Zodiac but could not get it working quickly and just went with VW for developing the first iteration of my integration with multiple XMLRPC APIs.

We need to ship Pharo with everything needed out of the box for zodiac to work.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: HTTPS

Janko Mivšek
S, Marcus Denker piše:

> On Feb 18, 2012, at 11:28 AM, Robert Calco wrote:
>
>> I know about Zodiac but could not get it working quickly and just went with VW for developing the first iteration of my integration with multiple XMLRPC APIs.
>
> We need to ship Pharo with everything needed out of the box for zodiac to work.

Out of the box would be very desirable. After that we can adapt Swazoo
to use Zodiak SSL. Swazoo once already supported a SSL, so all needed is
to "wakeup" it and adapt to libraries like Zodiak on Pharo and SSL
support on VW.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: HTTPS

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Robert,

On 18 Feb 2012, at 11:28, Robert Calco wrote:

> OK, since I mentioned this problem area as a relative weakness of Pharo in a separate list for the VW non-commercial, I suppose it would be right to close the loop and ask how people get HTTPS working on Pharo. I'm talking about both scenarios, as client and server.
>
> The client scenario is calling XMLRPC servers over HTTPS. I did not get this to work out of the box after installing XmlRpcClient libraries, as the underlying Http Client libraries in Pharo do not have SSL support. It seems the preferred answer is to use Apache to proxy the calls to any URL requiring SSL support. I know about Zodiac but could not get it working quickly and just went with VW for developing the first iteration of my integration with multiple XMLRPC APIs.
>
> The server scenario involves supporting calls over HTTPS using, say, Aida or Seaside. It's easy in this case to say just let the web server (Apache) handle that, but what if I want to use Swazoo (to keep moving parts to a minimum)? I do most development on Windows, where I usually have IIS installed (for .NET stuff), and that plays nice with absolutely no one.
>
> Specifically, I have to be able to support a site that variously accepts HTTP and HTTPS calls, so I'd have to run it on multiple ports, at a minimum.
>
> How can I get both scenarios to work in Pharo without involving Apache?
>
> --
> Bob Calco
> [hidden email]

Pharo Smalltalk 1.3 and 1.4, which both contain Zinc HTTP Components by default (although depending on the exact sub version it might be best to update Zn), will do HTTPS when Zodiac is properly installed. Installing Zodiac is loading just 1 package and adding the SSL plugin to you VM.

See http://zdc.stfx.eu as a starting point, and searh this list.

For a one-click experience, see http://forum.world.st/Zodiac-Alpha-Release-2012-01-26-td4332024.html

BTW, Lukas' CI has been doing a Zodiac integration since a couple of weeks: http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Zinc/

Client HTTPS works on all 3 platforms, server support only on Linux and Windows due to plugin limitiations. IMHO, for server deploys fronting with Apache is preferable anyway for various reasons, not jut for adding HTTPS, but I know there are scenarios where it would be very nice to have HTTPS server support using just the image+vm.

Regards,

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: HTTPS

EstebanLM
I could add SSL plugin to default builds for mac... if it is working.
Where can I find it?

Esteban

ps: btw... I would like to see more Alien/NB based packages in the library instead this whole ecosystem of plugins... but well, that's a dream for the future :P

El 18/02/2012, a las 8:52a.m., Sven Van Caekenberghe escribió:

> Robert,
>
> On 18 Feb 2012, at 11:28, Robert Calco wrote:
>
>> OK, since I mentioned this problem area as a relative weakness of Pharo in a separate list for the VW non-commercial, I suppose it would be right to close the loop and ask how people get HTTPS working on Pharo. I'm talking about both scenarios, as client and server.
>>
>> The client scenario is calling XMLRPC servers over HTTPS. I did not get this to work out of the box after installing XmlRpcClient libraries, as the underlying Http Client libraries in Pharo do not have SSL support. It seems the preferred answer is to use Apache to proxy the calls to any URL requiring SSL support. I know about Zodiac but could not get it working quickly and just went with VW for developing the first iteration of my integration with multiple XMLRPC APIs.
>>
>> The server scenario involves supporting calls over HTTPS using, say, Aida or Seaside. It's easy in this case to say just let the web server (Apache) handle that, but what if I want to use Swazoo (to keep moving parts to a minimum)? I do most development on Windows, where I usually have IIS installed (for .NET stuff), and that plays nice with absolutely no one.
>>
>> Specifically, I have to be able to support a site that variously accepts HTTP and HTTPS calls, so I'd have to run it on multiple ports, at a minimum.
>>
>> How can I get both scenarios to work in Pharo without involving Apache?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Calco
>> [hidden email]
>
> Pharo Smalltalk 1.3 and 1.4, which both contain Zinc HTTP Components by default (although depending on the exact sub version it might be best to update Zn), will do HTTPS when Zodiac is properly installed. Installing Zodiac is loading just 1 package and adding the SSL plugin to you VM.
>
> See http://zdc.stfx.eu as a starting point, and searh this list.
>
> For a one-click experience, see http://forum.world.st/Zodiac-Alpha-Release-2012-01-26-td4332024.html
>
> BTW, Lukas' CI has been doing a Zodiac integration since a couple of weeks: http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Zinc/
>
> Client HTTPS works on all 3 platforms, server support only on Linux and Windows due to plugin limitiations. IMHO, for server deploys fronting with Apache is preferable anyway for various reasons, not jut for adding HTTPS, but I know there are scenarios where it would be very nice to have HTTPS server support using just the image+vm.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sven
>

> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> http://stfx.eu
> Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: HTTPS

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 18 Feb 2012, at 13:57, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> I could add SSL plugin to default builds for mac... if it is working.
> Where can I find it?

http://code.google.com/p/squeakssl/

Sven

Re: HTTPS

Sven Van Caekenberghe
For completeness, I should add that Zodiac delivers general purpose TLS/SSL streams.
These can then be used to implement for example HTTPS when combined with a suitable client such as Zinc HTTP Components.
It also works for some other use cases like mail.
However, ZnSecureSocketStream is binary only, unlike SocketStream which mixes both with encoding.

On 18 Feb 2012, at 12:52, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Robert,
>
> On 18 Feb 2012, at 11:28, Robert Calco wrote:
>
>> OK, since I mentioned this problem area as a relative weakness of Pharo in a separate list for the VW non-commercial, I suppose it would be right to close the loop and ask how people get HTTPS working on Pharo. I'm talking about both scenarios, as client and server.
>>
>> The client scenario is calling XMLRPC servers over HTTPS. I did not get this to work out of the box after installing XmlRpcClient libraries, as the underlying Http Client libraries in Pharo do not have SSL support. It seems the preferred answer is to use Apache to proxy the calls to any URL requiring SSL support. I know about Zodiac but could not get it working quickly and just went with VW for developing the first iteration of my integration with multiple XMLRPC APIs.
>>
>> The server scenario involves supporting calls over HTTPS using, say, Aida or Seaside. It's easy in this case to say just let the web server (Apache) handle that, but what if I want to use Swazoo (to keep moving parts to a minimum)? I do most development on Windows, where I usually have IIS installed (for .NET stuff), and that plays nice with absolutely no one.
>>
>> Specifically, I have to be able to support a site that variously accepts HTTP and HTTPS calls, so I'd have to run it on multiple ports, at a minimum.
>>
>> How can I get both scenarios to work in Pharo without involving Apache?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Calco
>> [hidden email]
>
> Pharo Smalltalk 1.3 and 1.4, which both contain Zinc HTTP Components by default (although depending on the exact sub version it might be best to update Zn), will do HTTPS when Zodiac is properly installed. Installing Zodiac is loading just 1 package and adding the SSL plugin to you VM.
>
> See http://zdc.stfx.eu as a starting point, and searh this list.
>
> For a one-click experience, see http://forum.world.st/Zodiac-Alpha-Release-2012-01-26-td4332024.html
>
> BTW, Lukas' CI has been doing a Zodiac integration since a couple of weeks: http://jenkins.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Zinc/
>
> Client HTTPS works on all 3 platforms, server support only on Linux and Windows due to plugin limitiations. IMHO, for server deploys fronting with Apache is preferable anyway for various reasons, not jut for adding HTTPS, but I know there are scenarios where it would be very nice to have HTTPS server support using just the image+vm.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sven
>

> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> http://stfx.eu
> Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: HTTPS

Jimmie Houchin-5
On 2/18/2012 8:02 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
> For completeness, I should add that Zodiac delivers general purpose TLS/SSL streams.
> These can then be used to implement for example HTTPS when combined with a suitable client such as Zinc HTTP Components.
> It also works for some other use cases like mail.
> However, ZnSecureSocketStream is binary only, unlike SocketStream which mixes both with encoding.

Would it be possible to see an example of what is required and how I
would send an email from Pharo through GMail's smtp servers?

All of my email is through GMail, and I would love to be able to send
messages from my images. But I haven't seen or learned how, despite
seeing messages like this in any COTDC messages.

    "p.s. this message was sent from a pharo image.
     Did you know you could easily do that?!"

I have searched the archives and haven't found the answer of how to do that.

Since GMail requires TLS3 or SSL, I would have to be able to handle that
as well.
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287

Any help, insight and wisdom greatly appreciated.

Jimmie

Re: HTTPS

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 18 Feb 2012, at 18:01, Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> Would it be possible to see an example of what is required and how I would send an email from Pharo through GMail's smtp servers?
>
> All of my email is through GMail, and I would love to be able to send messages from my images. But I haven't seen or learned how, despite seeing messages like this in any COTDC messages.
>
>   "p.s. this message was sent from a pharo image.
>    Did you know you could easily do that?!"
>
> I have searched the archives and haven't found the answer of how to do that.
>
> Since GMail requires TLS3 or SSL, I would have to be able to handle that as well.
> http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287
>
> Any help, insight and wisdom greatly appreciated.

http://forum.world.st/ZdcSecurePOP3Client-and-ZdcSecureSMTPClient-td4172388.html

"Retrieve (but not delete) your last 5 messages"

ZdcSecurePOP3Client
        retrieveMessagesFromGMailAccount: '<your-name>@gmail.com'
        password: '<your-password>'
        limit: 5.

(Note that you have to enable POP3 access in your GMail account)

"Send a message"

| mailMessage |
mailMessage := MailMessage empty.
mailMessage setField: 'subject' toString: 'ZdcSecureSMTPClient Test'.
mailMessage body: (MIMEDocument contentType: 'text/plain' content: 'This is test from Pharo Smalltalk').
ZdcSecureSMTPClient
        sendUsingGMailAccount: '<your-name>@gmail.com'
        password: '<your-password>'
        to: '<email-address>'
        message: mailMessage

The code is in the 'Zodiac-Extra' package in the http://www.squeaksource.com/Zodiac repository.
Of course, you also have to install Zodiac and a plugin, see http://zdc.stfx.eu/ for more details.

HTH,

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: HTTPS

Dale Henrichs
Sven, et. al.,

I tried to use Zodiac the other day and I immediately had problem that the SqueakSSL plugin was not recognized (the primitiveSSLCreate primitive fails)...

I am testing on a mac and I downloaded and copied the squeakssl bundle into the Resources folder of the Squeak vm (okay I tried doing this with three different vms and each time got the same primitive failure) ... with no luck ...

I'd like to use Zodiac, but have fallen back to using libcurl (via OSProcess) because it just works....

I know that folks are able to get SqueakSSL to work, but the fact that someone has to manually monkey with their vm really means that it is not a simple matter to use Zodiac, unless one is "building their own vm" ...

So I would second the notion to include SSL support in the distributed vms ...

"https support is expected to work out of the box" these days ...

Dale

| On 18 Feb 2012, at 18:01, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
|
| > Would it be possible to see an example of what is required and how
| > I would send an email from Pharo through GMail's smtp servers?
| >
| > All of my email is through GMail, and I would love to be able to
| > send messages from my images. But I haven't seen or learned how,
| > despite seeing messages like this in any COTDC messages.
| >
| >   "p.s. this message was sent from a pharo image.
| >    Did you know you could easily do that?!"
| >
| > I have searched the archives and haven't found the answer of how to
| > do that.
| >
| > Since GMail requires TLS3 or SSL, I would have to be able to handle
| > that as well.
| > http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287
| >
| > Any help, insight and wisdom greatly appreciated.
|
| http://forum.world.st/ZdcSecurePOP3Client-and-ZdcSecureSMTPClient-td4172388.html
|
| "Retrieve (but not delete) your last 5 messages"
|
| ZdcSecurePOP3Client
|         retrieveMessagesFromGMailAccount: '<your-name>@gmail.com'
|         password: '<your-password>'
|         limit: 5.
|
| (Note that you have to enable POP3 access in your GMail account)
|
| "Send a message"

| | mailMessage |
| mailMessage := MailMessage empty.
| mailMessage setField: 'subject' toString: 'ZdcSecureSMTPClient Test'.
| mailMessage body: (MIMEDocument contentType: 'text/plain' content:
| 'This is test from Pharo Smalltalk').
| ZdcSecureSMTPClient
|         sendUsingGMailAccount: '<your-name>@gmail.com'
|         password: '<your-password>'
|         to: '<email-address>'
|         message: mailMessage
|
| The code is in the 'Zodiac-Extra' package in the
| http://www.squeaksource.com/Zodiac repository.
| Of course, you also have to install Zodiac and a plugin, see
| http://zdc.stfx.eu/ for more details.
|
| HTH,
|
| Sven
|

| --
| Sven Van Caekenberghe
| http://stfx.eu
| Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: HTTPS

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Dale,

On 18 Feb 2012, at 20:56, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Sven, et. al.,
>
> I tried to use Zodiac the other day and I immediately had problem that the SqueakSSL plugin was not recognized (the primitiveSSLCreate primitive fails)...
>
> I am testing on a mac and I downloaded and copied the squeakssl bundle into the Resources folder of the Squeak vm (okay I tried doing this with three different vms and each time got the same primitive failure) ... with no luck ...
>
> I'd like to use Zodiac, but have fallen back to using libcurl (via OSProcess) because it just works....
>
> I know that folks are able to get SqueakSSL to work, but the fact that someone has to manually monkey with their vm really means that it is not a simple matter to use Zodiac, unless one is "building their own vm" ...
>
> So I would second the notion to include SSL support in the distributed vms ...
>
> "https support is expected to work out of the box" these days ...
>
> Dale

Of course it would be better to include the plugin by default, but even then, you would have to use a particular prepared vm.

Here is mine (for Mac OS X):

  http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16235440/Pharo.app.zip

I must say I don't understand: it is not monkeying with your VM, it is just adding a plugin, which is copying one file to the proper place. Using libcurl via OSProcess seems way more complicated for most people. YMMV, of course.

BTW, did you try the one-click download, it was made just for this situation.

HTH,

Sven

Re: HTTPS

Ben Coman
Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

> Dale,
>
> On 18 Feb 2012, at 20:56, Dale Henrichs wrote:
>

>> Sven, et. al.,
>>
>> I tried to use Zodiac the other day and I immediately had problem that the SqueakSSL plugin was not recognized (the primitiveSSLCreate primitive fails)...
>>
>> I am testing on a mac and I downloaded and copied the squeakssl bundle into the Resources folder of the Squeak vm (okay I tried doing this with three different vms and each time got the same primitive failure) ... with no luck ...
>>
>> I'd like to use Zodiac, but have fallen back to using libcurl (via OSProcess) because it just works....
>>
>> I know that folks are able to get SqueakSSL to work, but the fact that someone has to manually monkey with their vm really means that it is not a simple matter to use Zodiac, unless one is "building their own vm" ...
>>
>> So I would second the notion to include SSL support in the distributed vms ...
>>
>> "https support is expected to work out of the box" these days ...
>>
>> Dale
>>

> Of course it would be better to include the plugin by default, but even then, you would have to use a particular prepared vm.
>
> Here is mine (for Mac OS X):
>
>   http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16235440/Pharo.app.zip
>
> I must say I don't understand: it is not monkeying with your VM, it is just adding a plugin, which is copying one file to the proper place. Using libcurl via OSProcess seems way more complicated for most people. YMMV, of course.
>
> BTW, did you try the one-click download, it was made just for this situation.
>
> HTH,
>
> Sven

Some plugin usability questions (I have only had a brief look around,
but these answers should jump out at me from the documentation)

Q1. How do I know which plugin is required for which Smalltalk code?
book.pharo-project.org [1] > 4.3.4 "How to Debug Plugin Absence" shows
how to get some lists but how do I know what I'm looking for ?

Q2. Where do I find the plugins to download from?
There is nothing linked from [http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download]
book.pharo-project.org [1] > 5.2.2 "List Of Plugins" has a list but no links

Q2. How strong is the binding from specific plugin versions to specific
vm versions, and where is the correlation documented?
I do see [http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/VMPluginOverview] but it
seems out of date.

Q3. Are the plugins part of the CI testing ?

Q4. Where is the install of a plugin to a particular file system
location documented?
book.pharo-project.org [1] > 5.2.1 "Loading Plugins"  only says that
they are loaded automatically.

[1] http://book.pharo-project.org/book/table-of-contents

Re: HTTPS

Dale Henrichs
Sven,

I am looking to include features in Metacello that require https.

I have tried "copying the proper file to the proper place" and my mileage certainly does vary. I have failed with 3 of the vms that I have tried. I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I believe that you are able to create a vm with squeaksll installed, but I don't have the option of telling folks to get their vm from Sven if they want to use Metacello:) I just assume that I won't be the only one to have trouble, either. If someone gave me the explicit instructions ... I'm obviously doing something wrong ... I would have more confidence that it would be a practical route to take, but pointing to a vm that works doesn't help.

Using curl (installed and worked the first time on my mac:) via OSProcess is just simpler to get running. I'm just downloading a file so I am doing nothing fancy and curl works fine (and is easy to install).

I still would prefer to use Zodiac.

Dale

| On 18 Feb 2012, at 20:56, Dale Henrichs wrote:
|
| > Sven, et. al.,
| >
| > I tried to use Zodiac the other day and I immediately had problem
| > that the SqueakSSL plugin was not recognized (the
| > primitiveSSLCreate primitive fails)...
| >
| > I am testing on a mac and I downloaded and copied the squeakssl
| > bundle into the Resources folder of the Squeak vm (okay I tried
| > doing this with three different vms and each time got the same
| > primitive failure) ... with no luck ...
| >
| > I'd like to use Zodiac, but have fallen back to using libcurl (via
| > OSProcess) because it just works....
| >
| > I know that folks are able to get SqueakSSL to work, but the fact
| > that someone has to manually monkey with their vm really means
| > that it is not a simple matter to use Zodiac, unless one is
| > "building their own vm" ...
| >
| > So I would second the notion to include SSL support in the
| > distributed vms ...
| >
| > "https support is expected to work out of the box" these days ...
| >
| > Dale
|
| Of course it would be better to include the plugin by default, but
| even then, you would have to use a particular prepared vm.
|
| Here is mine (for Mac OS X):
|
|   http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16235440/Pharo.app.zip
|
| I must say I don't understand: it is not monkeying with your VM, it
| is just adding a plugin, which is copying one file to the proper
| place. Using libcurl via OSProcess seems way more complicated for
| most people. YMMV, of course.
|
| BTW, did you try the one-click download, it was made just for this
| situation.
|
| HTH,
|
| Sven

Re: HTTPS

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 19 Feb 2012, at 04:54, Dale Henrichs wrote:

I have tried "copying the proper file to the proper place" and my mileage certainly does vary.
I have failed with 3 of the vms that I have tried. I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

Did you try the zodiac one-click and/or the vm that I just posted ?
Did these work for you ?

Could you please try ?

This is a screenshot of where the plugin should be placed (after you do right-click on the VM app > Show Package Contents):

Again, I am not capable at all to build a VM myself, and you probably know more about Smalltalk than I do, so I am still puzzled about what could possibly have gone wrong. Can you provide more details ?

Sven

Re: HTTPS

Dale Henrichs
Sven,

I did try your vm and it worked ...

I did copy the SqueakSSL.bundle that I downloaded form the SqueakSSL site[1] into the location you indicate with your picture (I drag/copied the bundle from the unzipped location using the finder where I had done a "show package contents" to get to the Resource directory of the vm) and got the errors that I mentioned...

Like I said something is not working as I expected/hoped and I don't have a clue as to why it doesn't work ... I agree that it should work and I am puzzled as well.

It is not enough for me to get it working for myself "by hook or by crook"...

The process needs to be fool proof ... installing OSProcess and curl is foolproof and installing SqueakSSl is not - I wish that it were:(

Dale

[1] http://code.google.com/p/squeakssl/
| On 19 Feb 2012, at 04:54, Dale Henrichs wrote:
|

| I have tried "copying the proper file to the proper place" and my
| mileage certainly does vary.
|
| I have failed with 3 of the vms that I have tried. I have no idea
| what I am doing wrong.
|

| Did you try the zodiac one-click and/or the vm that I just posted ?
| Did these work for you ?
|

| Could you please try ?
|

| This is a screenshot of where the plugin should be placed (after you
| do right-click on the VM app > Show Package Contents):
|

| Again, I am not capable at all to build a VM myself, and you probably
| know more about Smalltalk than I do, so I am still puzzled about
| what could possibly have gone wrong. Can you provide more details ?
|

| Sven

Re: HTTPS

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 19 Feb 2012, at 19:47, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> I did try your vm and it worked …

OK ;-)

> I did copy the SqueakSSL.bundle that I downloaded form the SqueakSSL site[1] into the location you indicate with your picture (I drag/copied the bundle from the unzipped location using the finder where I had done a "show package contents" to get to the Resource directory of the vm) and got the errors that I mentioned...
>
> Like I said something is not working as I expected/hoped and I don't have a clue as to why it doesn't work ... I agree that it should work and I am puzzled as well.

Did you compare the SqueakSSL.bundle in my VM and the one you downloaded ? Maybe they are different ?

Sven

Re: HTTPS

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 19 Feb 2012, at 19:47, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> I did try your vm and it worked …

OK ;-)

> I did copy the SqueakSSL.bundle that I downloaded form the SqueakSSL site[1] into the location you indicate with your picture (I drag/copied the bundle from the unzipped location using the finder where I had done a "show package contents" to get to the Resource directory of the vm) and got the errors that I mentioned...
>
> Like I said something is not working as I expected/hoped and I don't have a clue as to why it doesn't work ... I agree that it should work and I am puzzled as well.

Did you compare the SqueakSSL.bundle in my VM and the one you downloaded ? Maybe they are different ?

I have to say that some Cog VMs are broken regarding the FFI plugin. So maybe the difference is not in the SSL plugin but in FFI of that VM.

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: HTTPS

Dale Henrichs
Sven and Mariano,

Thanks for your effort ... https is but a part of what I'm trying to accomplish, so I don't have a lot of time to fiddle with vms until I find one that works ... I was fortunate in a way, since I am able to curl without any troubles (file download)....

Truth be told, the FFI support for GemStone2.x is not very friendly at all. We've added a better FFI model in GemStone3.x and will likely have some level of "builtin" support for SSL in a future release...

So I second the notion of including the SSL plugin with the vm at a future date...

Dale

It is more FFI, but btw I bumped into http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/smalltalk/