Ha Noi Smalltalk Developers Meetup Group

Ha Noi Smalltalk Developers Meetup Group

SergeStinckwich
Dear all,

we are considering starting some regular meetings for developers
interested by Smalltalk.
Smalltalk is an object-oriented, dynamically typed, reflective
programming language.
Our platform of choice is Pharo: http://www.pharo-project.org/

The first meeting will be April 3rd from 6pm to 8pm at IFI (ngõ 42 Tạ
Quang Bửu, quận Hai Bà Trưng, Hà Nội.).
If you are interested to join us, send me a message.
You can also join our mailing-list here:

The discussions of the first meeting will be around:
* Exploring different variations of current Smalltalk implementations
based on Pharo.
* Discussing about the workflow when working with Smalltalk.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: {agilevietnam: 51} Ha Noi Smalltalk Developers Meetup Group

SergeStinckwich
This is a small report of our first meeting at IFI.
In fact, we were only 2 guys, so i have been a little bit
disappointed, but this is already a good start ;-)

Thank you Canh for coming :-)

We start to talk about the different files needed for Pharo : a VM
engine (stack based or Cog), an image file (a snapshot of all the
objects of your system), a changes file (containing all the changes
done by the user) and the sources files.
There is also an alternative of the one-click images more suitable for
beginners that allows you to use the same file on all the platforms.

After that, i explained a little bit how Monticello works. Monticello
is very similar to svn/git but dedicated to Smalltalk.
Recently this is possible to combine git and Monticello with Pharo in
order to the best of both worlds :-)

And we see that this is almost impossible to loose some Smalltalk
code, thanks to the .changes image.
We talked also on collections and how to do iterations in various ways.

I hope that we will have more people next time.
Regards,