Has anyone build a set of gears in Etoys or any other freely available program?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Steve Thomas
I got I asked my class to play LightBot and then asked them:
"How this is like and not like "programming"

This lead into one kids responding its like "mabey small motors and gears"  (wish I knew what was going on in her mind, I'll ask in the next class)

So I responded:
I was on the Battleship NJ (commissioned in 1943).  They had a "computer" on board to calculate the angle and direction of the big guns and could hit a target miles away within a few yards!!!  Pretty impressive when you have to consider they had to take into account the ships speed and direction, wind speed, waves and the recoil from the guns firing.  The whole "computer" was built using gears which controlled BIG motors to move the gun.

Here's a pop quiz (you will be graded on this and it will go on your PERMANENT record :)
What is the oldest computer we know about?

I then asked them to think about and email me an answer to:
What is a computer?
I then added the caveat, non-biological computer, as a bunch came back with the answer "the brain".

I found a nice video on a Lego version of the oldest know computer here.

So I want to get them to try and build some adding machines (and I will see if we can find enough lego parts amonst us to do that as it would be best), but in case I can't, and just for fun.

Thanks,
Stephen

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Has anyone build a set of gears in Etoys or any other freely available program?

Karl Ramberg
Have you seen this ?
http://www.dmst.aueb.gr/dds/sw/ameso/

You can use stars morphs to simulate gears

Karl

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got I asked my class to play LightBot and then asked them:
>
> "How this is like and not like "programming"
>
>
> This lead into one kids responding its like "mabey small motors and gears"
> (wish I knew what was going on in her mind, I'll ask in the next class)
>
> So I responded:
>
> I was on the Battleship NJ (commissioned in 1943).  They had a "computer" on
> board to calculate the angle and direction of the big guns and could hit a
> target miles away within a few yards!!!  Pretty impressive when you have to
> consider they had to take into account the ships speed and direction, wind
> speed, waves and the recoil from the guns firing.  The whole "computer" was
> built using gears which controlled BIG motors to move the gun.
>
>
> Here's a pop quiz (you will be graded on this and it will go on your
> PERMANENT record :)
> What is the oldest computer we know about?
>
> I then asked them to think about and email me an answer to:
>
> What is a computer?
>
> I then added the caveat, non-biological computer, as a bunch came back with
> the answer "the brain".
>
>
> I found a nice video on a Lego version of the oldest know computer here.
>
> So I want to get them to try and build some adding machines (and I will see
> if we can find enough lego parts amonst us to do that as it would be best),
> but in case I can't, and just for fun.
>
> Has anyone build a set of gears in Etoys or any other freely available
> program?
>
> Thanks,
> Stephen
>
> _______________________________________________
> squeakland mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.squeakland.org/mailman/listinfo/squeakland
>
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [IAEP] Has anyone build a set of gears in Etoys or any other freely available program?

alanone1
In reply to this post by Steve Thomas
Hi Steve,

Yes, we did experiment with gears in Etoys many years ago, and I think we tried one or two experiments with gears at the Open School.

This is a case where lots of the goodness of the gears idea lies in the physical world, and just giving kids a simulation of gears lacks "juice".

The gear models we did actually used collision detection to drive one gear by another, and this was a good set of things for the kids to think about. This would work better today (with more computing cycles available, etc.). One of the important things we never got around to in Etoys was to make an industrial strength collision detector (like the best ones used in video games) for both the macro graphic objects and also for the particle system. Having one of these as a basic facility would make a big difference in what could be thought about and attempted.

Another fun thing at this level is to make "ratchets" and then "Feynman" engines where particle energy exchanges from random collisions will nonetheless drive the "engines" in the direction they can go.

Cheers,

Alan

To: squeakland <[hidden email]>; iaep <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, July 6, 2012 2:22 PM
Subject: [IAEP] Has anyone build a set of gears in Etoys or any other freely available program?

This lead into one kids responding its like "mabey small motors and gears"  (wish I knew what was going on in her mind, I'll ask in the next class)

So I responded:
I was on the Battleship NJ (commissioned in 1943).  They had a "computer" on board to calculate the angle and direction of the big guns and could hit a target miles away within a few yards!!!  Pretty impressive when you have to consider they had to take into account the ships speed and direction, wind speed, waves and the recoil from the guns firing.  The whole "computer" was built using gears which controlled BIG motors to move the gun.

Here's a pop quiz (you will be graded on this and it will go on your PERMANENT record :)

What is a computer?
I then added the caveat, non-biological computer, as a bunch came back with the answer "the brain".

So I want to get them to try and build some adding machines (and I will see if we can find enough lego parts amonst us to do that as it would be best), but in case I can't, and just for fun.

Thanks,
Stephen

Reply | Threaded
|

P.S. Re: [IAEP] Has anyone build a set of gears in Etoys or any other freely available program?

alanone1
In reply to this post by Steve Thomas
P.S.

I vaguely recall that someone did an Etoy model of the Antikythera ... (might be findable on the web somewhere)

Going a little deeper, it would be good for children to think about: Computing is inventing a kind of machine that can carry and manipulate representations of ideas. The machine can be made from physical or symbolic materials.

For example, the abacus -- which vastly predates the Antikythera -- is also a computing machine. And so is Algebra ...

Cheers,

Alan

Subject: [IAEP] Has anyone build a set of gears in Etoys or any other freely available program?

So I responded:

What is a computer?

Thanks,
Stephen

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: P.S. Re: [IAEP] Has anyone build a set of gears in Etoys or any other freely available program?

Steve Thomas
Thanks Alan.

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM, Alan Kay <[hidden email]> wrote:
P.S.

I vaguely recall that someone did an Etoy model of the Antikythera ... (might be findable on the web somewhere)
Karl Ramberg pointed me to: http://www.dmst.aueb.gr/dds/sw/ameso/ which may be what your are recalling.

Going a little deeper, it would be good for children to think about: Computing is inventing a kind of machine that can carry and manipulate representations of ideas. The machine can be made from physical or symbolic materials.

I really like the inclusion of "inventing" in the definition.  I'll see what the kids come up with and then weave this in.

For example, the abacus -- which vastly predates the Antikythera -- is also a computing machine. And so is Algebra ...

Cheers,

Alan

So I responded:

What is a computer?

Thanks,
Stephen

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: P.S. Re: [IAEP] Has anyone build a set of gears in Etoys or any other freely available program?

alanone1
"Inventing" because what we do when we write a program is precisely to invent and make a machine to accomplish the goals of the program.

It would be good to get them to think about the larger notions of "machine" and "mechanism", including ideas about how the natural world seems to operate ... not just physics and chemistry, but also biology ...

Cheers,

Alan

To: Alan Kay <[hidden email]>
Cc: squeakland <[hidden email]>; iaep <[hidden email]>
Sent: Friday, July 6, 2012 11:05 PM
Subject: Re: P.S. Re: [IAEP] Has anyone build a set of gears in Etoys or any other freely available program?

Thanks Alan.

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 12:29 AM, Alan Kay <[hidden email]> wrote:
P.S.

Karl Ramberg pointed me to: http://www.dmst.aueb.gr/dds/sw/ameso/ which may be what your are recalling.

I really like the inclusion of "inventing" in the definition.  I'll see what the kids come up with and then weave this in.

Cheers,

Alan

So I responded:

What is a computer?

Thanks,
Stephen