Help! Our Swiki stopped working and our content is inside

Help! Our Swiki stopped working and our content is inside

Randy Siler-2
Hi all,
        I'm afraid I'm in a rather stupid spot and I don't know how to pull
myself out of it, or even write intelligently for help from some kind
soul.

        Months ago, maybe a year ago, one of my colleagues wanted to learn
about wikis and so I figured out how to bring up a swiki in a squeak
image and I set it up on her Mac to play with. In the course of
playing she got some of our other colleagues using it for
collaboration. Everything went swimmingly and it got used more and
more but never in such a way that I worried to document what I had done.

        Now something has gone wrong and we haven't the slightest idea what,
nor do we have much recollection even of what we were using. Below is
a picture of what it looked like when it was working. And I vaguely
remember having to write about 4 lines of code to get it started and
then we just had to save and quit and from then on it would
automatically startup when we started squeak.  Problem is, now we
just get a grey screen and I can't find reference to what I need to
do to get the swiki running again. I expect our content is safe in
the image if we could get the swiki serving  again.

        If anyone can help us out we would be greatly appreciative.
Cheers, and thanks so much,
Randy

Picture 3.png (104 bytes) Download Attachment
Picture 3.png (39K) Download Attachment

Re: Help! Our Swiki stopped working and our content is inside

Bert Freudenberg
Randy,

there is a mailing list dedicated to Swiki:

I forwarded your message to these guys.

- Bert -

On Jun 26, 2007, at 2:30 , Randy Siler wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm afraid I'm in a rather stupid spot and I don't know how to
> pull myself out of it, or even write intelligently for help from
> some kind soul.
>
> Months ago, maybe a year ago, one of my colleagues wanted to learn
> about wikis and so I figured out how to bring up a swiki in a
> squeak image and I set it up on her Mac to play with. In the course
> of playing she got some of our other colleagues using it for
> collaboration. Everything went swimmingly and it got used more and
> more but never in such a way that I worried to document what I had
> done.
>
> Now something has gone wrong and we haven't the slightest idea
> what, nor do we have much recollection even of what we were using.
> Below is a picture of what it looked like when it was working. And
> I vaguely remember having to write about 4 lines of code to get it
> started and then we just had to save and quit and from then on it
> would automatically startup when we started squeak.  Problem is,
> now we just get a grey screen and I can't find reference to what I
> need to do to get the swiki running again. I expect our content is
> safe in the image if we could get the swiki serving  again.
>
> If anyone can help us out we would be greatly appreciative.
> Cheers, and thanks so much,
> Randy
>
> <Picture 3.png>

Re: Help! Our Swiki stopped working and our content is inside

Göran Krampe
Hi Randy!

Randy Siler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> automatically startup when we started squeak.  Problem is, now we
> just get a grey screen and I can't find reference to what I need to
> do to get the swiki running again. I expect our content is safe in
> the image if we could get the swiki serving  again.

First of all - Swiki stores all content outside of the image, so it
should be safe.
Secondly - if you don't find someone else to help you, send me a private
email and I can look at it later in the week.
You could probably just replace the image with the original and go from
there - BUT... take a backup of the whole directory first. :)

regards, Göran

Re: Help! Our Swiki stopped working and our content is inside

Randy Siler-2
Thanks Göran,
        I'll see if anyone else chimes in and we will try looking for  the
content outside the image (I never would have expected that, given
the Smalltalk "everything is an object and "files, how prosaic"
philosophy.).
If we still don't get anywhere, we will take you up on your kind
offer for a little more help later.

Many thanks,
Randy
On Jun 26, 2007, at 2:15 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Randy!
>
> Randy Siler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> automatically startup when we started squeak.  Problem is, now we
>> just get a grey screen and I can't find reference to what I need to
>> do to get the swiki running again. I expect our content is safe in
>> the image if we could get the swiki serving  again.
>
> First of all - Swiki stores all content outside of the image, so it
> should be safe.
> Secondly - if you don't find someone else to help you, send me a
> private
> email and I can look at it later in the week.
> You could probably just replace the image with the original and go
> from
> there - BUT... take a backup of the whole directory first. :)
>
> regards, Göran

re: files, how prosaic/quaint

ccrraaiigg

Hi Randy--

> I'll see if anyone else chimes in and we will try looking for the
> content outside the image (I never would have expected that, given the
> Smalltalk "everything is an object and "files, how prosaic"
> philosophy.).

     Indeed! We really ought to live up to that statement; we have a
strange myopia about a bunch of file-ish things in the meantime.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: files, how prosaic/quaint

Blake-5
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:26:44 -0700, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Randy--
>
>> I'll see if anyone else chimes in and we will try looking for the
>> content outside the image (I never would have expected that, given the
>> Smalltalk "everything is an object and "files, how prosaic"
>> philosophy.).
>
>      Indeed! We really ought to live up to that statement; we have a
> strange myopia about a bunch of file-ish things in the meantime.

Or should we? What if our objects were a bunch of files?

I guess we'd need a kick-ass file system for that, though, eh? Something
that could handle the millions of objects with alacrity.

It'd be cool, tho', when you think about it. You'd always be in a saved
state.