Help: can't start Corquet on Linux AMD64 with Ubuntu Dapper

Help: can't start Corquet on Linux AMD64 with Ubuntu Dapper

gratefulfrog
Hi!
I'm dying to get into Croquet programming!

I'm a pretty good computer scientist, but before I start hackking, I'd like to know if you can suggest aneasy way to make this work.

Thanks,
GF

My platform
AMD64
Asus A7V delux mainboard
ATI 9250 graphics card with fglrx binary drivers, 3D works fine
-----
Just umpacked croquet sdk 1.0 beta and cannot run it.

Here's the trace:
$ ./Croquet.sh
./bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/squeak: error while loading shared libraries: libuuid.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It can't find that library, but look at this:
$ sudo find / -name libuuid.so.1 -print
/lib/libuuid.so.1

and then:
$ ls /lib/libuuid.so.1 -al
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2006-06-05 16:09 /lib/libuuid.so.1 -> libuuid.so.1.2

$ ls /lib/libuuid.so.1.2 -al
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10608 2006-05-12 14:41 /lib/libuuid.so.1.2

I don't know what to do to unblock the situation.

Ps. running it in a 32bit dchroot will start, but crashes when I try to connect to the master demo..

$ dchroot -d
Executing shell in 'Dapper' chroot.

$ ./Croquet.sh
SocketPlugin: ignoring unknown option 'SO_REUSEPORT'
[fglrx] API ERROR: could not register entrypoint for SelectTextureSGIS
[fglrx] API ERROR: could not register entrypoint for SelectTextureTransformSGIS

follwed by zillions more of similar errors...

any ideas would be much appreciated...

Re: Help: can't start Corquet on Linux AMD64 with Ubuntu Dapper

gratefulfrog
Thanks for the tip; I added /lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and reran ldconfig but this made no difference, alas...

still blocked...

On 6/24/06, nick hemsley <[hidden email]> wrote:
perhaps your /lib is not in the loader path?

Its been a while but check ldconfig, /lib is loaded by default, but
try adding it to etc/ld.so.conf. & rerun ldconfig.

On 6/24/06, Grateful Frog < [hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
> I'm dying to get into Croquet programming!
>
> I'm a pretty good computer scientist, but before I start hackking, I'd like
> to know if you can suggest aneasy way to make this work.
>
> Thanks,
> GF
>
> My platform
> AMD64
> Asus A7V delux mainboard
> ATI 9250 graphics card with fglrx binary drivers, 3D works fine
> -----
> Just umpacked croquet sdk 1.0 beta and cannot run it.
>
> Here's the trace:
> $ ./Croquet.sh
> ./bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/squeak: error while loading shared libraries:
> libuuid.so.1 : cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> It can't find that library, but look at this:
> $ sudo find / -name libuuid.so.1 -print
> /lib/libuuid.so.1
>
> and then:
> $ ls /lib/libuuid.so.1 -al
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2006-06-05 16:09 /lib/libuuid.so.1 ->
> libuuid.so.1.2
>
> $ ls /lib/libuuid.so.1.2 -al
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10608 2006-05-12 14:41 /lib/libuuid.so.1.2
>
> I don't know what to do to unblock the situation.
>
> Ps. running it in a 32bit dchroot will start, but crashes when I try to
> connect to the master demo..
>
> $ dchroot -d
> Executing shell in 'Dapper' chroot.

> $ ./Croquet.sh
> SocketPlugin: ignoring unknown option 'SO_REUSEPORT'
> [fglrx] API ERROR: could not register entrypoint for SelectTextureSGIS
> [fglrx] API ERROR: could not register entrypoint for
> SelectTextureTransformSGIS
>
> follwed by zillions more of similar errors...
>
> any ideas would be much appreciated...

Re: Help: can't start Corquet on Linux AMD64 with Ubuntu Dapper

Johnathon Meichtry
GF,

Try doing the following and see if you get the same results as me, I'm running Gentto on 32bit CPU but your results should be the same.  First check the files, the cmd output is in bold/blue:

$ file /lib/libuuid.so
/
lib/libuuid.so: symbolic link to `libuuid.so.1'
$ file /lib/libuuid.so.1

/lib/libuuid.so.1: symbolic link to `libuuid.so.1.2'
$ file /lib/libuuid.so.1.2

/lib/libuuid.so.1.2: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), stripped
Then check to see if either shared library is actually in use (mine returned nothing):

$ fuser /lib/libuuid.so.1
$ fuser /lib/libuuid.so.1.2

For the fun of it, also make sure you have the following file:

/usr/include/uuid/uuid.h

In case you don't know, the libuuid.so library is used by the squeak plugin UUIDPlugin and the source for this plugin makes use of the header file just mentioned i.e. "#include <uuid/uuid.h>" in source file ../trunk/platforms/unix/plugins/UUIDPlugin/sqUnixUUID.c and makefile acinclude.m4.  This knowledge doesn't help you solve the problem but will at least allow you to understand the dependency which of course you can try to remove if you care to compile your own VM.

Regards,

Johnathon

Thanks for the tip; I added /lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and reran ldconfig but this made no difference, alas...

still blocked...

On 6/24/06, nick hemsley <[hidden email]> wrote:
perhaps your /lib is not in the loader path?

Its been a while but check ldconfig, /lib is loaded by default, but
try adding it to etc/ld.so.conf. & rerun ldconfig.

On 6/24/06, Grateful Frog < [hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi!
> I'm dying to get into Croquet programming!
>
> I'm a pretty good computer scientist, but before I start hackking, I'd like
> to know if you can suggest aneasy way to make this work.
>
> Thanks,
> GF
>
> My platform
> AMD64
> Asus A7V delux mainboard
> ATI 9250 graphics card with fglrx binary drivers, 3D works fine
> -----
> Just umpacked croquet sdk 1.0 beta and cannot run it.
>
> Here's the trace:
> $ ./Croquet.sh
> ./bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/squeak: error while loading shared libraries:
> libuuid.so.1 : cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
> It can't find that library, but look at this:
> $ sudo find / -name libuuid.so.1 -print
> /lib/libuuid.so.1
>
> and then:
> $ ls /lib/libuuid.so.1 -al
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2006-06-05 16:09 /lib/libuuid.so.1 ->
> libuuid.so.1.2
>
> $ ls /lib/libuuid.so.1.2 -al
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10608 2006-05-12 14:41 /lib/libuuid.so.1.2
>
> I don't know what to do to unblock the situation.
>
> Ps. running it in a 32bit dchroot will start, but crashes when I try to
> connect to the master demo..
>
> $ dchroot -d
> Executing shell in 'Dapper' chroot.
>
> $ ./Croquet.sh
> SocketPlugin: ignoring unknown option 'SO_REUSEPORT'
> [fglrx] API ERROR: could not register entrypoint for SelectTextureSGIS
> [fglrx] API ERROR: could not register entrypoint for
> SelectTextureTransformSGIS
>
> follwed by zillions more of similar errors...
>
> any ideas would be much appreciated...

Re: Help: can't start Corquet on Linux AMD64 with Ubuntu Dapper

gratefulfrog
Hi!

Thanks for the help.

I tried all that you said, but to no avail:
$ ls -al  /lib/libuuid.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root    14 2006-06-05 16:09 /lib/libuuid.so.1 -> libuuid.so.1.2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10608 2006-05-12 14:41 /lib/libuuid.so.1.2

There is no file/link  /lib/libuuid.so as on your system.

The libs are not in use:
$ fuser /lib/libuuid.so.1
$ fuser /lib/libuuid.so.1.2

The header file is there:
$ ls -al /usr/include/uuid/uuid.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3238 2006-05-12 14:41 /usr/include/uuid/uuid.h

also, following previous advice:
$ more /etc/ld.so.conf
/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/lib32
/usr/lib32
/usr/X11R6/lib32

and ran as root ldconfig with no change, I then removed /lib from the /etc/ld.so.conf to restore it to orignal state...

So I am at a loss...

Cheers,
GF

On 6/24/06, Johnathon Meichtry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> $ ls /lib/libuuid.so.1 -al
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2006-06-05 16:09 /lib/libuuid.so.1 ->
> libuuid.so.1.2
>
> $ ls /lib/libuuid.so.1.2 -al
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10608 2006-05-12 14:41 /lib/libuuid.so.1.2
>
> I don't know what to do to unblock the situation.
>
> Ps. running it in a 32bit dchroot will start, but crashes when I try to
> connect to the master demo..
>
> $ dchroot -d
> Executing shell in 'Dapper' chroot.
>
> $ ./Croquet.sh
> SocketPlugin: ignoring unknown option 'SO_REUSEPORT'
> [fglrx] API ERROR: could not register entrypoint for SelectTextureSGIS
> [fglrx] API ERROR: could not register entrypoint for
> SelectTextureTransformSGIS
>
> follwed by zillions more of similar errors...
>
> any ideas would be much appreciated...

Re: Help: can't start Corquet on Linux AMD64 with Ubuntu Dapper

Great idea!

I copied the 32bit libuuid.so.1.2 to /lib32, created the link and croquet starts!

But, that's not the end yet. Now I get:
$ ./Croquet.sh
SocketPlugin: ignoring unknown option 'SO_REUSEPORT'

and Croquet starts. Then, when I try to open "Demo (master)" I get a debug window... (cf attached...)

Sorry to keep bother you with this.

Thanks considerably!
GF.

On 6/25/06, Mats <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm pretty sure, I have Ubuntu Dapper 64 and I've had this problem with
several programs, file not found even when it's there. Installing or
copying 32bit libraries to /lib32 usually works. To get croquet to
work, I copied the libuuid files from the 32bit package to /lib32.

On 6/25/06, Grateful Frog <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great idea!

I copied the 32bit libuuid.so.1.2 to /lib32, created the link and croquet starts!

But, that's not the end yet. Now I get:

$ ./Croquet.sh
SocketPlugin: ignoring unknown option 'SO_REUSEPORT'

and Croquet starts. Then, when I try to open "Demo (master)" I get a debug window... (cf attached...)

Sorry to keep bother you with this.

Thanks considerably!
GF.

On 6/25/06, Mats <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm pretty sure, I have Ubuntu Dapper 64 and I've had this problem with
several programs, file not found even when it's there. Installing or
copying 32bit libraries to /lib32 usually works. To get croquet to
work, I copied the libuuid files from the 32bit package to /lib32.
> Hi thanks for the help! Are you quite sure that it's a 32bit/64bit
> issue?
> The file is in the right place, it says it can't find it? to me, that
> looks
> more like an evt variable not set?

CroquetScreenshot.png (57K) Download Attachment

Re: Help: can't start Corquet on Linux AMD64 with Ubuntu Dapper

Joshua Gargus-2
That sounds like the included Linux VM is an older version that doesn't include the latest socket changes.  What is the output from './bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/squeak --version'  (maybe with only one hyphen)?

I'd do it myself, but I don't have a Linux box.

Josh

<CroquetScreenshot.png>

Re: Help: can't start Corquet on Linux AMD64 with Ubuntu Dapper

gratefulfrog
et volià:
$squeak -version
3.9-4 #1 Wed Apr 19 00:48:37 PDT 2006 gcc 3.3.5
Squeak3.9alpha of 4 July 2005 [latest update: #7021]
Linux vps.piumarta.com 2.4.20-021stab028.18.777-enterprise #1 SMP Wed Sep 14 19:34:46 MSD 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
default plugin location: /usr/local/lib/squeak/3.9-4/*.so

I ran install updates, but that changed nothing...

Cheers,
GF

On 6/25/06, Josh Gargus <[hidden email]> wrote:
That sounds like the included Linux VM is an older version that doesn't include the latest socket changes.  What is the output from './bin/ i686-pc-linux-gnu/squeak --version'  (maybe with only one hyphen)?

I'd do it myself, but I don't have a Linux box.

Josh

On Jun 25, 2006, at 12:29 PM, Grateful Frog wrote:

On 6/25/06, Grateful Frog <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great idea!

I copied the 32bit libuuid.so.1.2 to /lib32, created the link and croquet starts!

But, that's not the end yet. Now I get:

$ ./Croquet.sh
SocketPlugin: ignoring unknown option 'SO_REUSEPORT'

and Croquet starts. Then, when I try to open "Demo (master)" I get a debug window... (cf attached...)

Sorry to keep bother you with this.

Thanks considerably!
GF.

On 6/25/06, Mats <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm pretty sure, I have Ubuntu Dapper 64 and I've had this problem with
several programs, file not found even when it's there. Installing or
copying 32bit libraries to /lib32 usually works. To get croquet to
work, I copied the libuuid files from the 32bit package to /lib32.
> Hi thanks for the help! Are you quite sure that it's a 32bit/64bit
> issue?
> The file is in the right place, it says it can't find it? to me, that
> looks
> more like an evt variable not set?

<CroquetScreenshot.png>

Re: Help: can't start Corquet on Linux AMD64 with Ubuntu Dapper

Bert Freudenberg-3
Same thing. Croquet needs access to the 32 bits OpenGL library
(libGL.so). Do an ldd on B3DAcceleratorPlugin and make sure the FFI
finds and uses the same GL library that is linked into it. You can
either create a symlink named libGL.so or change
OGLUnix>>openGLLibraryName to the full name.

- Bert -

Am 25.06.2006 um 18:28 schrieb Grateful Frog:

> Great idea!
>
> I copied the 32bit libuuid.so.1.2 to /lib32, created the link and
> croquet starts!
>
> But, that's not the end yet. Now I get:
> $ ./Croquet.sh
> SocketPlugin: ignoring unknown option 'SO_REUSEPORT'
>
> and Croquet starts. Then, when I try to open "Demo (master)" I get
> a debug window... (cf attached...)
>
> Sorry to keep bother you with this.
>
> Thanks considerably!
> GF.
>

> On 6/25/06, Mats <[hidden email]> wrote: I'm pretty sure, I
> have Ubuntu Dapper 64 and I've had this problem with
> several programs, file not found even when it's there. Installing or
> copying 32bit libraries to /lib32 usually works. To get croquet to
> work, I copied the libuuid files from the 32bit package to /lib32.
> > Hi thanks for the help! Are you quite sure that it's a 32bit/64bit
> > issue?
> > The file is in the right place, it says it can't find it? to me,
> that
> > looks
> > more like an evt variable not set?

Re: Help: can't start Corquet on Linux AMD64 with Ubuntu Dapper

Joshua Gargus-2
Thanks Ed,

I was grasping at straws re: SO_REUSEPORT.  Everyone gets the same VM
with the download, so it's weird that GF sees this socket error and
others don't.  No good ideas come to mind.

It sounds like Bert has been helpful with the other problems.  GF?

Josh

On Jun 25, 2006, at 9:33 PM, Ed Boyce wrote:

> Josh:
>
>     I haven't been following this thread until now when I picked it
> up at
> your reply.
>
>     I've been succussfully running Croquet (Jasmine and 1.0 SDK) on
> Fedora
> Core 64 Linux (ver 3, but ver 2 also works for sure) and ran Jasmine
> on Gentoo 64 last year.
>
>     Are there any tests I can run on my 64 bit Linux boxen that
> might help
> this gentleman?
>
>         Best,
>
>             Ed
>

> Josh Gargus said:
>> That sounds like the included Linux VM is an older version that
>> doesn't include the latest socket changes.  What is the output from
>> './bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu/squeak --version'  (maybe with only one
>> hyphen)?
>>
>> I'd do it myself, but I don't have a Linux box.
>>
>> Josh
>>

>> On Jun 25, 2006, at 12:29 PM, Grateful Frog wrote:
>>

>>> On 6/25/06, Grateful Frog <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Great idea!
>>>
>>> I copied the 32bit libuuid.so.1.2 to /lib32, created the link and
>>> croquet starts!
>>>
>>> But, that's not the end yet. Now I get:
>>>
>>> $ ./Croquet.sh
>>> SocketPlugin: ignoring unknown option 'SO_REUSEPORT'
>>>
>>> and Croquet starts. Then, when I try to open "Demo (master)" I get
>>> a debug window... (cf attached...)
>>>
>>> Sorry to keep bother you with this.
>>>
>>> Thanks considerably!
>>> GF.
>>>

>>> On 6/25/06, Mats <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm pretty sure, I have Ubuntu Dapper 64 and I've had this problem
>>> with
>>> several programs, file not found even when it's there. Installing or
>>> copying 32bit libraries to /lib32 usually works. To get croquet to
>>> work, I copied the libuuid files from the 32bit package to /lib32.
>>> that
>>>

>>> <CroquetScreenshot.png>

> Ed Boyce
> Education and Outreach Writer/Editor
> Coordinator, Visualize Education Virtual Institute
> Engaging People in CyberInfrastructure (EPIC) Program
> http://www.eotepic.org
>
> Boston University Center for Computational Science
> 3 Cummington Street, 5th Floor
> Boston, Massachusetts  02215
>
> 413-245-3997

Re: Help: can't start Corquet on Linux AMD64 with Ubuntu Dapper

Howard Stearns
The SO_REUSEPORT is a red-herring, no?  We #setOption:value: this for
everyone, and also SO_REUSEADDR, within TContactPoint>>initialize.

As I understand it, attempting to set each is always legal and is
supposed to result in being able to form multiple connections on a
socket. This is experimentally true on Windows, Mac PPC/Intel, and
various Linuxen. Platforms vary as to whether they actually expect,
reguire, silently ignore, or noisily ignore each of these.

The can't find function address errors are real, however, and have to
do with FFI for openGL and openAL.  Bert, and I think Mark, have
posted some clues about that that here and on the buglist.

By the way, there are a number of Croquet and VM tests in the image.
Evaluate 'TestRunner open' and look at the test suites beginning with
'Croquet'.

-Howard