Help: fonts in PluggableTextSpec

K K Subbu
Hi,

PluggableTextSpec>>font returns a default font if font is not specified.
This results in default font overriding any fonts in the plugged
textmorphs :-( as in the case of Help->FontSizeSummary. The exact font
to be used to render text should be determined lazily by textMorph and
not in pluggable text spec.

My proposed fix has a wide ranging effect, so I am posting it here for a
critique before finalizing a patch to Inbox.

Thanks and Regards .. Subbu

fixfontplugtext.1.cs (192 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Help: fonts in PluggableTextSpec

marcel.taeumel
Hi Subbu,

you have a point. Such defaults in tool-builder specs are interfering with defaults in morphs (or other widgets).

Which effects did you observe after making this change?

Best,
Marcel

Am 15.03.2019 07:44:34 schrieb K K Subbu <[hidden email]>:

Hi,

PluggableTextSpec>>font returns a default font if font is not specified.
This results in default font overriding any fonts in the plugged
textmorphs :-( as in the case of Help->FontSizeSummary. The exact font
to be used to render text should be determined lazily by textMorph and
not in pluggable text spec.

My proposed fix has a wide ranging effect, so I am posting it here for a
critique before finalizing a patch to Inbox.

Thanks and Regards .. Subbu

Re: Help: fonts in PluggableTextSpec

K K Subbu
Marcel,

Thank you for merging this patch into main line. Tim had reported issues
with fonts in an earlier posting on 23 Jul 2018:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2018-July/199634.html

With this fix, the fonts came out as intended in fontSizeSummary but
because it modified a class that goes into almost all tools I wasn't
sure if I had injected any side effect.

Regards .. Subbu

On 20/05/19 1:54 PM, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> Hi Subbu,
>
> you have a point. Such defaults in tool-builder specs are interfering
> with defaults in morphs (or other widgets).
>
> Which effects did you observe after making this change?
>
> Best,
> Marcel
>>
>> Am 15.03.2019 07:44:34 schrieb K K Subbu <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> PluggableTextSpec>>font returns a default font if font is not specified.
>> This results in default font overriding any fonts in the plugged
>> textmorphs :-( as in the case of Help->FontSizeSummary. The exact font
>> to be used to render text should be determined lazily by textMorph and
>> not in pluggable text spec.
>>
>> My proposed fix has a wide ranging effect, so I am posting it here for a
>> critique before finalizing a patch to Inbox.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards .. Subbu

Re: Help: fonts in PluggableTextSpec

marcel.taeumel
Well, we should be okay because that's how it was *before* the addition of #font to PluggableTextSpec back in 2016. :-)

Best,
Marcel