Help with Curl

Leon Smith
I've been trying to get Squeak to be a client for RESTful web services, and I need to use Curl. I've tried both the "standard" CURLPlugin and another one from a blog. Both give me the same primitive failed error when trying to get a new handle (Curl new).

I'm on Ubuntu Gutsy (7.1), Squeak 3.9 and I have Curl  7.16.4. I'd rather use an external plugin then recompiling my image, but I will if I have to.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Re: Help with Curl

Lukas Renggli
>  I've been trying to get Squeak to be a client for RESTful web services, and I
>  need to use Curl. I've tried both the "standard" CURLPlugin and another one
>  from a blog. Both give me the same primitive failed error when trying to get
>  a new handle (Curl new).

Did you compile a VM with the CURL plugin?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Help with Curl

Leon Smith
No, I was under the impression that both CurlPlugins were external plugins that could be dynamically loaded by the VM.

Lukas Renggli wrote
>  I've been trying to get Squeak to be a client for RESTful web services, and I
>  need to use Curl. I've tried both the "standard" CURLPlugin and another one
>  from a blog. Both give me the same primitive failed error when trying to get
>  a new handle (Curl new).

Did you compile a VM with the CURL plugin?

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Help with Curl

Lukas Renggli
>  No, I was under the impression that both CurlPlugins were external plugins
>  that could be dynamically loaded by the VM.

I don't know what packages you are exactly referring too. Usually you
need to compile the plugin yourself (internal or external), as it is a
non-standard plugin. Your error looks like Squeak cannot load the
plugin.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Help with Curl

Giovanni Corriga
Leon Smith ha scritto:
> I've been trying to get Squeak to be a client for RESTful web services, and I
> need to use Curl. I've tried both the "standard" CURLPlugin and another one
> from a blog. Both give me the same primitive failed error when trying to get
> a new handle (Curl new).
>
> I'm on Ubuntu Gutsy (7.1), Squeak 3.9 and I have Curl  7.16.4. I'd rather
> use an external plugin then recompiling my image, but I will if I have to.
>
> Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Hi Leon,

I must be the guy whose blog you're referring to. What the exact error
message that Squeak gives you?
I last compiled my plugin in a Fedora 7 system; since then I moved
abroad and I don't have access to that machine anymore.
I suspect the problem is related to unresolved symbols in the plugin
code; I suggest trying recompiling the plugin.

        Ciao,

                Giovanni

Re: Help with Curl

Leon Smith
Yes it was your excellent site: Jazz Programming. I really appreciate the examples and in depth explanations. Sorry for not giving you attribution, the bookmarks were on my office PC and I was at home and didn't want to search right then.

I have moved on to another task I had which was learning Swazoo / Aida. I will have to come back to this issue later, but thanks for the advice. So far recompiling the VM has been problematic with errors in some plugins related to graphics. The VM itself builds fine. I just don't have the time right now to go down that road.

Thanks again for the response.
Leon

Giovanni Corriga wrote

Leon Smith ha scritto:
> Yes it was your excellent site: Jazz Programming. I really appreciate the
> examples and in depth explanations. Sorry for not giving you attribution,
> the bookmarks were on my office PC and I was at home and didn't want to
> search right then.

Thank you. I'm counting on resuming adding contents very soon.

> I have moved on to another task I had which was learning Swazoo / Aida. I
> will have to come back to this issue later, but thanks for the advice. So
> far recompiling the VM has been problematic with errors in some plugins
> related to graphics. The VM itself builds fine. I just don't have the time
> right now to go down that road.

There's no need to recompile all the VM; just rebuilding the sources for
the plugin should be enough.
I read in another message of yours that you were trying to build an RWS
client; I would be much interested in something like that to complement
the work I'm doing to create an APP (Atom Publishing Protocol) server.

        Ciao,

                Giovanni