Help with Processor Scheduling

1 message Options

Help with Processor Scheduling

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could help me answer a processor scheduling question.  I’m running a process to test SSL memory.  The data is received by a process running in a thread priority 40.  The server is running priority 70.  (both in the same image).  There is one thread started as dataHandler for each send.

When I run normally everything works fine.  I send data and the dataHandler process picks it up and closes down.  I’m seeing one send and about one receive before another send.  When it’s all done everything sent was received.

The problem is that when I leave squeak and click on any other application, what I see is lots of sends but only rarely a receive.  Then the application usually freezes up and has lots and lots of sockets open.

Can someone explain to me why a test running and processes scheduled would act so differently if I click on another application?

I tried to look at Processor activePriority hoping that since UI was running at 40 that maybe active priority was raised when Squeak was not the top most application.  It appeared to stay at 40.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions on how to diagnose this problem.

Ron Teitelbaum