Help with install squeakland on kubuntu

crazy_bus
I installed Squeak on kubuntu edgy 6.10 using the provided deb on squeaklands website.  To install this package kubuntu downloaded  and installed squeak-vm from its own repositories.  This caused squeak and squeakland items to be put into the menu.  Clicking on squeakland opens the program.

However I have two problems.  The first is that program is in a language other than english and I can't find the option to change it.
The second is that I can't see the animation here http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/launch.html in firefox or konqueror
Thanks everyone in advance for your help

Re: Help with install squeakland on kubuntu

Bert Freudenberg
On May 29, 2007, at 11:04 , crazy_bus wrote:

> I installed Squeak on kubuntu edgy 6.10 using the provided deb on
> squeaklands
> website.  To install this package kubuntu downloaded  and installed
> squeak-vm from its own repositories.  This caused squeak and
> squeakland
> items to be put into the menu.  Clicking on squeakland opens the
> program.
>
> However I have two problems.  The first is that program is in a
> language
> other than english and I can't find the option to change it.
> The second is that I can't see the animation here
> http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/launch.html in firefox or konqueror
> Thanks everyone in advance for your help

Do these updated packages work better?

        http://impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/

They still undergo testing and haven't been published to
squeakland.org yet.

- Bert -

Re: Help with install squeakland on kubuntu

crazy_bus
I had the exact same problems with these newer debs I installed from the site you mentioned
squeakland_3.8-4u_all.deb
squeak-vm_3.9.8-2_i386.deb

Re: Help with install squeakland on kubuntu

K. K. Subramaniam
On Tuesday 29 May 2007 4:04 pm, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Do these updated packages work better?
>
> http://impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/
The problem lies elsewhere:

See http://squeakland.org/pipermail/squeakland/2007-April/003535.html

Regards .. Subbu

On May 29, 2007, at 17:04 , subbukk wrote:

> On Tuesday 29 May 2007 4:04 pm, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> Do these updated packages work better?
>>
>> http://impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/
> The problem lies elsewhere:
>
> See http://squeakland.org/pipermail/squeakland/2007-April/003535.html

Really?

        http://www.squeakland.org/plugin/launch.html

is fixed, and those newer packages should default to English.

- Bert -

Re: Help with install squeakland on kubuntu

crazy_bus
I installed squeakland_3.8-6u_all.deb but it still had the same
problems.  I also opened firefox in a terminal to check the plugin but
I got no messages in it.  All I got was the "additional plugins are
required to view this page" bar at the top, which I always get.

On May 30, 2007, at 3:40 , Philip Macpherson wrote:

> I installed squeakland_3.8-6u_all.deb but it still had the same
> problems.  I also opened firefox in a terminal to check the plugin but
> I got no messages in it.  All I got was the "additional plugins are
> required to view this page" bar at the top, which I always get.

Which VM package do you have? This appears to be the latest:

        http://impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/squeak-vm_3.9.8-2_i386.deb

And where did you find squeakland_3.8-6u_all.deb?

- Bert -

Re: Help with install squeakland on kubuntu

crazy_bus
No squeak isn't registered in about:plugins.  I typed
sudo /usr/lib/squeak/npsqueakregister
but it had no effect.

Re: Help with install squeakland on kubuntu

crazy_bus
To Bert Freudenberg
Yes thats the server deb I have installed.  And here is where I got squeakland_3.8-6u_all.deb

On 5/30/07, Jens Lincke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I am responsible for both packages and they work for me. I build and
tested them on an
ubuntu 6.10.

can you show me the output from firefox if you start it from a terminal?

there is a new image of squeakland in

http://www.impara.de/~jens
/squeakland/squeakland_3.8-6u_all.deb

perhaps it fixes the language problems.

- Jens -

On Wednesday 30 May 2007 1:37 pm, Philip Macpherson wrote:
> No squeak isn't registered in about:plugins.  I typed
> sudo /usr/lib/squeak/npsqueakregister
> but it had no effect.
Check if the plugin npsqueak.so exists in any of the following directories (it
will be a symlink).
/usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/plugins/npsqueak.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/npsqueak.so
/usr/lib/mozilla-snapshot/plugins/npsqueak.so
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins/npsqueak.so

The plugin file is installed from squeak-vm package
in /usr/lib/squeak/<version>/npsqueak.so. The files above should actually
point to this plugin.

In Konqueror, check if one of the paths above figures in Settings->Plugins
search path list and scan it once to pick up the right one.

Hope this helps .. Subbu

On May 30, 2007, at 10:07 , Philip Macpherson wrote:

> No squeak isn't registered in about:plugins.  I typed
> sudo /usr/lib/squeak/npsqueakregister
> but it had no effect.

Ah. That would explain it. Where is the plugin directory for your
browser located? The npsqueakregister script tries a few known
locations, but apparently it missed yours.

All you need to do is symlink npsqueak.so from /usr/lib/squeak/3.x.y/
to your browser's plugins directory. That's all npsqueakregister
does, in fact. Unfortunately, there is no standard and it should be
updated by the distribution maintainer to find any supported browsers.

- Bert -

Re: Help with install squeakland on kubuntu

Jens Lincke
Philip Macpherson schrieb:
> No squeak isn't registered in about:plugins.  I typed
> sudo /usr/lib/squeak/npsqueakregister
> but it had no effect.

Bert suggested a fix in the npsqueakregister script
so I repackaged it.

Here are the latest two packages for squeakland + vm for ubuntu.
I build under 6.10 edgy eft so it won't install on earlier releases

http://www.impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/squeakland_3.8-6u_all.deb
http://www.impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/squeak-vm_3.9.8-3_i386.deb

- Jens -

Re: Help with install squeakland on kubuntu

crazy_bus
Thank you.  The new packages fix the firefox issue perfectly.  However the language problem is still there unfortunately.

On 5/31/07, Jens Lincke <[hidden email]> wrote:
Philip Macpherson schrieb:
> No squeak isn't registered in about:plugins.  I typed
> sudo /usr/lib/squeak/npsqueakregister
> but it had no effect.

Bert suggested a fix in the npsqueakregister script
so I repackaged it.

Here are the latest two packages for squeakland + vm for ubuntu.
I build under 6.10 edgy eft so it won't install on earlier releases

http://www.impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/squeakland_3.8-6u_all.deb
http://www.impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/squeak-vm_3.9.8-3_i386.deb

- Jens -

Re: Help with install squeakland on kubuntu

crazy_bus
I've finally found the language option so that's not a problem anymore.  Thanks everyone for all their help.

Re: Help with install squeakland on kubuntu

Jens Lincke
Hi,

If you install a new squeakland version, the new image gets only
installed in the system.
You have a local copy of the image in ~/.npsqueak/SqueakPlugin.image, so
if you want to test the new image you have to remove the old first.

- Jens -

Philip Macpherson schrieb:
> Thank you.  The new packages fix the firefox issue perfectly.  However
> the language problem is still there unfortunately.

There was also a problem in building the LocalePlugin which is fixed in
the new package:

http://www.impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/squeak-vm_3.9.8-4_i386.deb

- Jens -

> On 5/31/07, *Jens Lincke* < [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
>
>     Philip Macpherson schrieb:
>     > No squeak isn't registered in about:plugins.  I typed
>     > sudo /usr/lib/squeak/npsqueakregister
>     > but it had no effect.
>     >
>     >
>     >
>
>     Hi,
>
>     Bert suggested a fix in the npsqueakregister script
>     so I repackaged it.
>
>     Here are the latest two packages for squeakland + vm for ubuntu.
>     I build under 6.10 edgy eft so it won't install on earlier releases
>
>     http://www.impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/squeakland_3.8-6u_all.deb
>     <http://www.impara.de/%7Ejens/ubuntu/squeakland_3.8-6u_all.deb>
>     http://www.impara.de/~jens/ubuntu/squeak-vm_3.9.8-3_i386.deb
>     <http://www.impara.de/%7Ejens/ubuntu/squeak-vm_3.9.8-3_i386.deb>
>
>     - Jens -

Re: Help with install squeakland on kubuntu

Kim Rose-2
Hello, Jens -

Thanks for all your help with this.  Do we need to change anything to
/with the installers that are on the Squeakland.org server in regards
to this issue?

Kim

At 1:02 PM +0200 5/31/07, Jens Lincke wrote:

>Hi,
>
>If you install a new squeakland version, the new image gets only
>installed in the system.
>You have a local copy of the image in ~/.npsqueak/SqueakPlugin.image, so
>if you want to test the new image you have to remove the old first.
>
>- Jens -
>
>Philip Macpherson schrieb:
>>  I've finally found the language option so that's not a problem
>>  anymore.  Thanks everyone for all their help.

Re: Help with install squeakland on kubuntu

Jens Lincke
Hi,

the new packages should be added to the ubuntu section: