HelpSystem (was Documentation Team)

Torsten Bergmann
attached the screenshot

HelpSystem.png (61K) Download Attachment

Re: HelpSystem (was Documentation Team)

Casey Ransberger-2
I hear you, I'm interested in checking this out, we have similar ideas, and I have two questions:

Does this tool support easy export of the model to other formats (e.g., text files on disk?) If not, how hard would this be to add?

Are the model objects happily storeString-able?

2010/4/20 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>
attached the screenshot

Re: HelpSystem (was Documentation Team)

Hannes Hirzel
"Checking it out" is a thing of two minutes. I did it. It is very neat.

Just evaluate

Installer squeaksource
    project: 'HelpSystem';
    install: 'HelpSystem-Core';
    install: 'HelpSystem-Tests';
    install: 'Metacello-Help';
    install: 'Pharo-Project-Help';
    install: 'Squeak-Project-Help'.

And then do
 HelpBrowser open

And read the documentation there.....   :-)

To Torsten: For the next iteration, could you please install
(HelpBrowser open) in the help menu

And I am pretty sure that import and export of text files is doable.

Hannes

On 4/20/10, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I hear you, I'm interested in checking this out, we have similar ideas, and
> I have two questions:
>
> Does this tool support easy export of the model to other formats (e.g., text
> files on disk?) If not, how hard would this be to add?
>
> Are the model objects happily storeString-able?
>
> 2010/4/20 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>
>
>> attached the screenshot
>> --
>> GRATIS für alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!
>> Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome01

Re: HelpSystem (was Documentation Team)

Casey Ransberger-2
Okay, this is cool.

I want to do a hell of a lot more than text files (files are just so retro!) I was mostly curious about whether or not the architecture would lend itself to a separation of content and presentation; I had a moment to install this, and a quick glance at HelpTopic seems to indicate that what I have in mind is in fact doable.

I actually started work on something like this last night. It's always a relief to discover that some charitable soul has gone and built the app you need for you:)

HelpSystem will be touched on in my project proposal. I think it has potential.

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Hannes Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
"Checking it out" is a thing of two minutes. I did it. It is very neat.

Just evaluate

Installer squeaksource
   project: 'HelpSystem';
   install: 'HelpSystem-Core';
   install: 'HelpSystem-Tests';
   install: 'Metacello-Help';
   install: 'Pharo-Project-Help';
   install: 'Squeak-Project-Help'.

And then do
 HelpBrowser open

And read the documentation there.....   :-)

To Torsten: For the next iteration, could you please install
(HelpBrowser open) in the help menu

And I am pretty sure that import and export of text files is doable.

Hannes

On 4/20/10, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I hear you, I'm interested in checking this out, we have similar ideas, and
> I have two questions:
>
> Does this tool support easy export of the model to other formats (e.g., text
> files on disk?) If not, how hard would this be to add?
>
> Are the model objects happily storeString-able?
>
> 2010/4/20 Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]>
>
>> attached the screenshot
>> --
>> GRATIS für alle GMX-Mitglieder: Die maxdome Movie-FLAT!
>> Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome01

Re: HelpSystem (was Documentation Team)

Michael Haupt-3
Hi Casey,

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 4:35 AM, Casey Ransberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I want to do a hell of a lot more than text files (files are just so retro!)

right.

Help browser documents could be transformed to HTML, LaTeX, plain
text. With a HTTP server in the image, the image could serve its help
documents to the outside world. And so forth.

Best,

Michael

Re: HelpSystem (was Documentation Team)

Casey Ransberger-2
Yes, and one could choose to view the stable version, or the version that updates nightly from the Trunk:)

The possibilities here are endless.