Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Here's a bizarre behaviour

cbc
Try typing in:
BSObject
selecting it and pressing cmd+B.

In fact, try any characters before an existing class.  (Characters after the class doesn't do the same).

Any idea why this happens?

-cbc

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Here's a bizarre behaviour

Herbert König
4.4 and 3.8 just do nothing.

They open a browser when typing a valid class name.

4.5 opens a Hierarchy Browser. 4.5 also opens a Hierarchy Browser when I type a valid class name. So maybe the change from Browser to Hierarchy Browser has introduced this too.
...digging...
I got rid of it by disabling the preference alternativeBrowseIt.

Cheers

Herbert

4.5 opens a hi
Am 10.07.2014 18:10, schrieb Chris Cunningham:
Try typing in:
BSObject

In fact, try any characters before an existing class.  (Characters after the class doesn't do the same).

-cbc

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris Muller-3
In reply to this post by cbc
Try typing in:
BSObject

Because alternativeBrowseIt is set.

Type-Suggesting Parameter Name is a universal Smalltalk pattern which says the argument names of methods should be "a" or "an" followed by the type of the argument.  For example, "anObject" or "aSequenceableCollection".

alternativeBrowseIt is aware of this, and so allows the user to spawn browsers on those types by simply double-clicking rather than requiring a fine-motor text selection gesture.

alternativeBrowseIt also moves the focus on the _domain_ model, rather than the package model.  Package model is only needed when organizing class categories or high-level browsing a new, unfamiliar package.

Spawning browsers from code selection is a domain tracing-actvity (nothing to do with packages), alternativeBrowseIt makes that activity much more efficient for the user.

cbc
Reply | Threaded
|

cbc
In reply to this post by Herbert König
I'm not sure I want to get rid of it - it was just disconcerting.  I was trying to decide if a new class I was created already existed by browsing it (if no browser shows up, it doesn't exist).  And a browser showed up - but with a different class.

Good to know where it is from, though.  And how to turn it off should I need too.

-cbc

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM, Herbert König <[hidden email]> wrote:
4.4 and 3.8 just do nothing.

They open a browser when typing a valid class name.

4.5 opens a Hierarchy Browser. 4.5 also opens a Hierarchy Browser when I type a valid class name. So maybe the change from Browser to Hierarchy Browser has introduced this too.
...digging...
I got rid of it by disabling the preference alternativeBrowseIt.

Cheers

Herbert

4.5 opens a hi
Am 10.07.2014 18:10, schrieb Chris Cunningham:
Try typing in:
BSObject

-cbc