Historic meeting for virtual worlds in virtual world

Historic meeting for virtual worlds in virtual world

LawsonEnglish
An historic meeting took place today: representatives from 3 different
virtual worlds met in a virtual world to hash out the details of how to
bring the MMOX BOF IETF meeting into their respective virtual worlds and
allow meeting participation from within them.

Qwaq, OpenSim and SecondLife were all represented.

Here's the chat log. A more readable summary is forthcoming:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/MMOX/Chat_Logs/2009-2-19

Lawson (Saijanai Kuhn in Second Life)

wiki page
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/MMOX

Re: Historic meeting for virtual worlds in virtual world

Joshua Gargus-2
Mark was there too, to rep OpenCroquet/Cobalt.

Josh aka JuhJosh

Lawson English wrote:

> An historic meeting took place today: representatives from 3 different
> virtual worlds met in a virtual world to hash out the details of how
> to bring the MMOX BOF IETF meeting into their respective virtual
> worlds and allow meeting participation from within them.
>

> Qwaq, OpenSim and SecondLife were all represented.
>
> Here's the chat log. A more readable summary is forthcoming:
>

> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/MMOX/Chat_Logs/2009-2-19
>

> Lawson (Saijanai Kuhn in Second Life)
>
> wiki page
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/MMOX

Re: Historic meeting for virtual worlds in virtual world

LawsonEnglish
Four. Four virtual worlds...

;-)

Sorry about that. I wasn't sure of the distinction between Qwaq and
OpenCroquet/Cobalt.

Joshua Gargus wrote:

> Mark was there too, to rep OpenCroquet/Cobalt.
>
> Josh aka JuhJosh
>

> Lawson English wrote:
>
>> An historic meeting took place today: representatives from 3 different
>> virtual worlds met in a virtual world to hash out the details of how
>> to bring the MMOX BOF IETF meeting into their respective virtual
>> worlds and allow meeting participation from within them.
>>

>> Qwaq, OpenSim and SecondLife were all represented.
>>
>> Here's the chat log. A more readable summary is forthcoming:
>>

>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/MMOX/Chat_Logs/2009-2-19
>>

>> Lawson (Saijanai Kuhn in Second Life)
>>
>> wiki page
>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/MMOX

Re: Historic meeting for virtual worlds in virtual world

Bert Freudenberg

On 19.02.2009, at 08:40, Lawson English wrote:

> Four. Four virtual worlds...
>
> ;-)
>
> Sorry about that. I wasn't sure of the distinction between Qwaq and
> OpenCroquet/Cobalt.

Well, both started with the Croquet SDK and built virtual worlds with
it, which are clearly separate. What I'm unclear about (following only
loosely) is not the distinction but the current commonalities. Is
there still joint work happening on the Croquet core?

- Bert -

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 19.02.2009, at 08:40, Lawson English wrote:
>
>> Four. Four virtual worlds...
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> Sorry about that. I wasn't sure of the distinction between Qwaq and
>> OpenCroquet/Cobalt.
>

> Well, both started with the Croquet SDK and built virtual worlds with
> it, which are clearly separate. What I'm unclear about (following only
> loosely) is not the distinction but the current commonalities. Is
> there still joint work happening on the Croquet core?

Short answer: not really.  On the other hand, there's not as much
divergence in the core as some recent IRC conversations suggest
(depending on what you consider to be the core, I guess).

Cheers,
Josh