How NOT to move a group of methods to a new package in 5 minutes or less.

How NOT to move a group of methods to a new package in 5 minutes or less.

Jerome Peace
How not to move a group of methods to a new package in
5 minutes or less.

1) Andreas notices some mispackaged messages/methods
in the Form class
e.g. Form>>scaledIntoFormOfSize:
2) He removes them from the package.
3) He repackages them into new Morphic extention
catagories.
4) He gives notice that he is doing this.
4a) and places the moved methods on mantis as a
changeset.
6) Stef harvests the new graphics package into Sq7039
6a) But not the moved methods.
7) Stef publishes 7039 to the ftp site.
8) It is down loaded by hopeful users.
9) And yellowclicking will not bring up menus because
the methods are missing.

10)... a suivre (to be continued).

I am sorry. This is not meant a criticism of the
people involved. Andreas is being rigorous and Stef is
trying to do a two man job all by himself. This was
just too good a illustration of my challenge question.

see
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-July/105890.html

to pass up relating.

How long will it take to move this group of methods?
How can it be done in 5 minutes or less?

Yours in curiosity, -- Jerome Peace

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: How NOT to move a group of methods to a new package in 5 minutes or less.

Andreas.Raab
Peace Jerome wrote:
> How not to move a group of methods to a new package in
> 5 minutes or less.

Heh. Good point. This one was a bit of a communication problem. I didn't
know that these changes had been made in 3.9a (I only just noticed that
there are other changes to ToolBuilder in 3.9a which never made it back
to the main repository either) but in order to provide "clean" packages
I had to get rid of these methods right away. I guess the only real
problem here is order of integration: The bug report(s) should have been
dealt with before integrating the latest package version.

As an interim measure, you can simply install the change set from
Mantis. For a long term solution help reminding people about the issue
so it gets fixed before 3.9 is finalized.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

> 1) Andreas notices some mispackaged messages/methods
> in the Form class
> e.g. Form>>scaledIntoFormOfSize:
> 2) He removes them from the package.
> 3) He repackages them into new Morphic extention
> catagories.
> 4) He gives notice that he is doing this.
> 4a) and places the moved methods on mantis as a
> changeset.
> 6) Stef harvests the new graphics package into Sq7039
> 6a) But not the moved methods.
> 7) Stef publishes 7039 to the ftp site.
> 8) It is down loaded by hopeful users.
> 9) And yellowclicking will not bring up menus because
> the methods are missing.
>
> 10)... a suivre (to be continued).
>

> I am sorry. This is not meant a criticism of the
> people involved. Andreas is being rigorous and Stef is
> trying to do a two man job all by himself. This was
> just too good a illustration of my challenge question.
>
> see
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-July/105890.html
>

> to pass up relating.
>
> How long will it take to move this group of methods?
> How can it be done in 5 minutes or less?
>
> Yours in curiosity, -- Jerome Peace

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: How NOT to move a group of methods to a new package in 5 minutes or less.

stéphane ducasse-2
This was on plate to harvest the fixes that andreas mentioned but I
was having problems with MC merging the packages of andreas
so I did things one by one. There will be in the next batch.

What I can tell you is that it is extremely frustrating for me
because I do not have the overview and I tried
really hard to avoid as mess/backwards compatibility problems as
possible but Squeak is huge.

Stef