How can I show a number with thousands seperators

How can I show a number with thousands seperators

Steve Thomas
When I set a text's numeric value, I would like to include the thousands separator to make it easier to compare two numbers.

Thanks,
Stephen

Re: How can I show a number with thousands seperators

Bert Freudenberg
On 07.07.2012, at 16:09, Steve Thomas wrote:

> When I set a text's numeric value, I would like to include the thousands separator to make it easier to compare two numbers.

It's not built into Etoys.

To find the right Squeak method, open a method finder. Give it an example, e.g. "12345. '12,345'". It will look for a method with that receiver giving that result.

(this works for methods with arguments, too. E.g. try "2. 3. 8")

- Bert -

Re: How can I show a number with thousands seperators

Steve Thomas
Okay, Method Finder has to be the second coolest code tool ever.  I simply give an example of what I want to do and it finds it.

FYI to get to Method Finder: CMD-<comma> (CTRL-<comma> on PC, I think) -> open... -> method finder

Thanks Bert.

Stephen

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 07.07.2012, at 16:09, Steve Thomas wrote:

> When I set a text's numeric value, I would like to include the thousands separator to make it easier to compare two numbers.

It's not built into Etoys.

To find the right Squeak method, open a method finder. Give it an example, e.g. "12345. '12,345'". It will look for a method with that receiver giving that result.

(this works for methods with arguments, too. E.g. try "2. 3. 8")

- Bert -

Re: How can I show a number with thousands seperators

Steve Thomas
Well second coolest "when it works" :)

So I was able to change 1000 to '1,000'  but when I used the numeric value of '1,000' I get 1 instead of 1000 (note already put an enhancement request in tracker).

So how can I remove translate '1,000' to 1000? Tried method finder, but no luck using "'1,000'. 1000".
I can think of a couple ways of doing this (ex:  iterate through the characters and remove commas)   But there really should be an easier more Etoys friendly way.

Also for internationalization I noticed that the decimal mark is always a period (even when using German, perhaps they have finally realized we have a better system, dividing by 10 is too easy and requires no hard fun ;)

Thanks,
Stephen