How can make a subclass WITH the method to initialize it through the Halo

How can make a subclass WITH the method to initialize it through the Halo

Frans van Dunné
Dear all,

I've been searching and searching without any luck. What I want to do
is the following:

1. Create a morph using the tools available in the flaps. Set the
size, colour etc.
2. Then create a MyNewSubclass of that morph (I can do this using the
red button of the halo)
3. Then pass on the MyMethod to initialize MyNewSubclass to look
exaclty as what I have edited using the tools on screen.

That last step I cannot find. I have tried inspecting and copying the
list of variables, but that takes a lot of editing before it is usable.

And I am sure this is possible, otherwise, why offer the tools?

Thanks for you time,
Frans.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: How can make a subclass WITH the method to initialize it through the Halo

dcorking
Interesting question, Frans.

Could you clarify one part of your question for me please?

> 2. Then create a MyNewSubclass of that morph (I can do this using the red
> button of the halo)

How exactly did you make the subclass?  I ask because it is new to me:
when I click the red halo button, I normally get a menu that looks
something like the screenshot I attached to this mail.  Did I look in
the right place?

David

Menu.png (23K) Download Attachment

Re: How can make a subclass WITH the method to initialize it through the Halo

Bert Freudenberg
On 25.05.2010, at 14:57, David Corking wrote:

> Interesting question, Frans.
>
> Could you clarify one part of your question for me please?
>
>> 2. Then create a MyNewSubclass of that morph (I can do this using the red
>> button of the halo)
>
> How exactly did you make the subclass?  I ask because it is new to me:
> when I click the red halo button, I normally get a menu that looks
> something like the screenshot I attached to this mail.  Did I look in
> the right place?

It's in the debug submenu.

- Bert -

On 25.05.2010, at 06:56, Frans van Dunné wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I've been searching and searching without any luck. What I want to do is the following:
>
> 1. Create a morph using the tools available in the flaps. Set the size, colour etc.
> 2. Then create a MyNewSubclass of that morph (I can do this using the red button of the halo)
> 3. Then pass on the MyMethod to initialize MyNewSubclass to look exaclty as what I have edited using the tools on screen.
>
> That last step I cannot find.

I don't think there is an automated way to do that. For simple cases it would be quite possible to generate such a method, though in general it might be quite hard (e.g., think about embedded morphs in your own morph etc.).

> I have tried inspecting and copying the list of variables, but that takes a lot of editing before it is usable.
>
> And I am sure this is possible, otherwise, why offer the tools?

To make interactive developing a little more pleasurable - even if we never achieve perfection :)

- Bert -

Bert wrote:

> It's in the debug submenu.

Head slap!  I don't know how I missed Morph >> #subclassMorph

Frans, As you described, the subclass is merely that.  When you create
it, all of its behaviour is the responsibility of its parent class.
It does not inherit or copy anything from the concrete morph object
you drew, but only its class.

>> I have tried inspecting and copying the list of variables, but that takes a lot of editing before it is usable.
>>
>> And I am sure this is possible, otherwise, why offer the tools?
>
> To make interactive developing a little more pleasurable - even if we never achieve perfection :)

I agree with Bert.  To be more concrete, John Maloney wrote on page 2
of the original Morphic documentation: "One could imagine constructing
this kind of tool
graphically by dragging and dropping components from
a library and, indeed, morphic was designed with that in
mind, but the environmental support needed for this
style of tool construction is currently incomplete."
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/morphic.final.pdf

I believe a short answer to your question, Frans, is: it is still incomplete.

I wonder if the barriers to creating an "interface builder" for
morphic (or tweak) are technical, or a matter of priorities.

David