How do I find out the maximum extent that a morph can be set to, without this impacting the current extent of its owner morph?

How do I find out the maximum extent that a morph can be set to, without this impacting the current extent of its owner morph?

Jerome Peace
[Newbies] How do I find out the maximum extent that a
morph can be set to, without this impacting the
current extent of its owner morph?

Hi Alexandre,

My first guess would be:

maxBounds := myMorph owner bounds
myMorph bounds: maxBounds.

and my second guess would be:
necessaryInset := 1
maxBounds := maxBounds insetBy: necessaryInset .

and try for a third guess:
necessaryInset := necessaryInset  + 1 .

etc.

And I would use a squeak workspace to find out what I
needed to know. And then I would know it. (Report back
here you results)

Cheers.

***

>Alexandre Rousseau alexr at mailsnare.net
>Wed Nov 28 05:27:28 UTC 2007
>
>Hi all
>
>Question: How do I find out the maximum extent that a
morph can be
>set to, without this impacting the current extent of
its owner morph?
>Context: trying to set the extent of a sticky note's
summary label to
>the maximum possible width, and such that the note's
window (isKindOf
>PasteUpMorph) will not be resized.
>
>Thanks in advance
>Alex
>
>==
>Alexandre Rousseau
>E: alexr at mailsnare.net
>NinerPaint: http://www.ninerpaint.com
***

Re: How do I find out the maximum extent that a morph can be set to, without this impacting the current extent of its owner morph?

Alexandre Rousseau
Hi Jerome

Thanks for your advice. The parent morph in question is variable in
width (user discretion), includes several submorphs, including that
for which I would like to calc the maximum "non-impacting" extent,
and uses a layoutPolicy. And yes, that parent has insets... set, too.
So I am a bit hesitant. Will try some stuff.

Thanks again
Alex

On 28-Nov-07, at 4:15 PM, Jerome Peace wrote:

> [Newbies] How do I find out the maximum extent that a
> morph can be set to, without this impacting the
> current extent of its owner morph?
>

> Hi Alexandre,
>

> My first guess would be:
>
> maxBounds := myMorph owner bounds
> myMorph bounds: maxBounds.
>
> and my second guess would be:
> necessaryInset := 1
> maxBounds := maxBounds insetBy: necessaryInset .
>
> and try for a third guess:
> necessaryInset := necessaryInset  + 1 .
>
> etc.
>
> And I would use a squeak workspace to find out what I
> needed to know. And then I would know it. (Report back
> here you results)
>
> Cheers.
>
> Yours in curiosity and service, --Jerome Peace
>

> ***
>>
>> Alexandre Rousseau alexr at mailsnare.net
>> Wed Nov 28 05:27:28 UTC 2007
>>
>> Hi all
>>
>> Question: How do I find out the maximum extent that a
> morph can be
>> set to, without this impacting the current extent of
> its owner morph?
>> Context: trying to set the extent of a sticky note's
> summary label to
>> the maximum possible width, and such that the note's
> window (isKindOf
>> PasteUpMorph) will not be resized.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Alex
>>
>> ==
>> Alexandre Rousseau
>> E: alexr at mailsnare.net
>> NinerPaint: http://www.ninerpaint.com
> ***

Re: How do I find out the maximum extent that a morph can be set to, without this impacting the current extent of its owner morph?

Karl-19
Alexandre Rousseau wrote:
> Hi Jerome
>
> Thanks for your advice. The parent morph in question is variable in
> width (user discretion), includes several submorphs, including that
> for which I would like to calc the maximum "non-impacting" extent, and
> uses a layoutPolicy. And yes, that parent has insets... set, too. So I
> am a bit hesitant. Will try some stuff.
Does not #spaceFill do just fill the max available space ?

Karl

> Thanks again
> Alex
>

> On 28-Nov-07, at 4:15 PM, Jerome Peace wrote:
>
>> [Newbies] How do I find out the maximum extent that a
>> morph can be set to, without this impacting the
>> current extent of its owner morph?
>>

>> Hi Alexandre,
>>

>> My first guess would be:
>>
>> maxBounds := myMorph owner bounds
>> myMorph bounds: maxBounds.
>>
>> and my second guess would be:
>> necessaryInset := 1
>> maxBounds := maxBounds insetBy: necessaryInset .
>>
>> and try for a third guess:
>> necessaryInset := necessaryInset  + 1 .
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> And I would use a squeak workspace to find out what I
>> needed to know. And then I would know it. (Report back
>> here you results)
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> Yours in curiosity and service, --Jerome Peace
>>

>> ***
>>>
>>> Alexandre Rousseau alexr at mailsnare.net
>>> Wed Nov 28 05:27:28 UTC 2007
>>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> Question: How do I find out the maximum extent that a
>> morph can be
>>> set to, without this impacting the current extent of
>> its owner morph?
>>> Context: trying to set the extent of a sticky note's
>> summary label to
>>> the maximum possible width, and such that the note's
>> window (isKindOf
>>> PasteUpMorph) will not be resized.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Alex
>>>
>>> ==
>>> Alexandre Rousseau
>>> E: alexr at mailsnare.net
>>> NinerPaint: http://www.ninerpaint.com
>> ***

Re: How do I find out the maximum extent that a morph can be set to, without this impacting the current extent of its owner morph?

Alexandre Rousseau
The owner morph (a stickie note title bar) contains 3 submorphs:
1. a SimpleButtonMorph, to trigger collapse/expansion of the stickie
note (collapsed = stickie note's editor submorph hidden)
2. a StringMorph: contains a summary -- a contracted copy -- of the
stickie note's editor's contents. The length of that summary depends
on the maximum amount of horizontal space available to the containing
StringMorph.
3. a StringMorph: set to the last modification date of the stickie note.

Therein lies my problem: to determine the maximum space that #2 can
occupy before provoking a resize of the stickie note, and given that
stickie note widths are left to user discretion, i.e., vary.

Alex

On 28-Nov-07, at 9:19 PM, karl wrote:

> Alexandre Rousseau wrote:
>> Hi Jerome
>>
>> Thanks for your advice. The parent morph in question is variable
>> in width (user discretion), includes several submorphs, including
>> that for which I would like to calc the maximum "non-impacting"
>> extent, and uses a layoutPolicy. And yes, that parent has
>> insets... set, too. So I am a bit hesitant. Will try some stuff.
> Does not #spaceFill do just fill the max available space ?
>
> Karl
>>
>> Thanks again
>> Alex
>>

>> On 28-Nov-07, at 4:15 PM, Jerome Peace wrote:
>>
>>> [Newbies] How do I find out the maximum extent that a
>>> morph can be set to, without this impacting the
>>> current extent of its owner morph?
>>>

>>> Hi Alexandre,
>>>

>>> My first guess would be:
>>>
>>> maxBounds := myMorph owner bounds
>>> myMorph bounds: maxBounds.
>>>
>>> and my second guess would be:
>>> necessaryInset := 1
>>> maxBounds := maxBounds insetBy: necessaryInset .
>>>
>>> and try for a third guess:
>>> necessaryInset := necessaryInset  + 1 .
>>>
>>> etc.
>>>
>>> And I would use a squeak workspace to find out what I
>>> needed to know. And then I would know it. (Report back
>>> here you results)
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Yours in curiosity and service, --Jerome Peace
>>>

>>> ***

>>> morph can be
>>> its owner morph?
>>> summary label to
>>> window (isKindOf

>>> ***

How do I find out the maximum extent that a morph can be set to, without this impacting the current extent of its owner morph?

Alexandre Rousseau
How to I prevent an embedded TextMorph from wrapping the text I enter
into it if said text exceeds the current bounds of that morph,
despite the fact that its much-larger owner gives it ample expansion
room via the "hResizing: #spaceFill" selector?

I've tried a gazillion (minus one?) layout, autoFit, and wrapFlag
setting combos to no avail: that little son-of-a-... morph keeps
wrapping its text as soon as entry has exceeded the current bounds.

Thanks, again
Alex