How do I profile an application in Squeak?

How do I profile an application in Squeak?

Clinton Blackmore
Greetings.

I'm trying to make Enchanting, my mod of Scratch that allows one to program LEGO Mindstorms NXT robots, work reasonably well on the Raspberry Pi, where it is very slow.

How do I profile an application running on squeak (2.8, I'm afraid) so as to see where time is being spent in order to know where to optimise?

Thanks,
Clinton Blackmore

Re: How do I profile an application in Squeak?

Herbert König
Hi Clinton

> How do I profile an application running on squeak (2.8, I'm afraid) so
> as to see where time is being spent in order to know where to optimise?

don't know about 2.8 but MessageTally has been around for very long. The
methods you invoke are on class side.

MessageTally spyOn: aBlock   is the classical incantation which tells
you the percentage of time spent in your methods.
MessageTally tallySends: tells you how often a messge gets send.

One thing you might want to change is is MessageTally class
defaultMaxTabs to return 120, I remember in old images a too small
number would prevent proper indentation of deeply nested sends.

hth

Cheers

Herbert