How do I run Pharo on Debian?

justonium
I've downloaded Pharo 4.0. When I open the folder that was downloaded (pharo4.0), I see a file called pharo. I think I'm supposed to run this, but I don't know how. When I right click it, there is no run option. What should I do?

Re: How do I run Pharo on Debian?

CyrilFerlicot
Le 07/10/2015 11:57, justonium a écrit :
> I've downloaded Pharo 4.0. When I open the folder that was downloaded
> (pharo4.0), I see a file called pharo. I think I'm supposed to run this, but
> I don't know how. When I right click it, there is no run option. What should
> I do?

Hi,

You can launch Pharo in command line:

./pharo-ui path/to/Pharo.image

Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

165 Avenue Bretagne
Lille 59000 France

Re: How do I run Pharo on Debian?

justonium
That doesn't look like something I can run from the command line. Also, there is no pharo-ui folder in my download.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 8:05 AM, jecisc [via Smalltalk] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 07/10/2015 11:57, justonium a écrit :
> I've downloaded Pharo 4.0. When I open the folder that was downloaded
> (pharo4.0), I see a file called pharo. I think I'm supposed to run this, but
> I don't know how. When I right click it, there is no run option. What should
> I do?

Hi,

You can launch Pharo in command line:

./pharo-ui path/to/Pharo.image

Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

165 Avenue Bretagne
Lille 59000 France

http://forum.world.st/How-do-I-run-Pharo-on-Debian-tp4854180p4854181.html
To unsubscribe from How do I run Pharo on Debian?, click here.
NAML

Le 07/10/2015 12:26, justonium a écrit :
> That doesn't look like something I can run from the command line. Also,
> there is no pharo-ui folder in my download.

Did you have the Virtual Machine ?
If you download Pharo with this commandline: curl get.pharo.org | bash
You should get a pharo-vm directory and a pharo-ui script to launch Pharo.

Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

165 Avenue Bretagne
Lille 59000 France

Re: How do I run Pharo on Debian?

Damien Cassou-2

justonium <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've downloaded Pharo 4.0. When I open the folder that was downloaded
> (pharo4.0), I see a file called pharo. I think I'm supposed to run this, but
> I don't know how. When I right click it, there is no run option. What should
> I do?

Which file did you download exactly?

I have the impression your downloaded the executable file. This is good.
You now need:

- a Pharo image. Is there a file with a .image extension inside?

- a Pharo Sources file. Is there a file with a .sources extension inside?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: How do I run Pharo on Debian?

justonium
I had a folder which contained an image, a VM, and an executable, and a readme.

I've deleted it and downloaded from the command line instead.

Now I have an executable, Pharo.changes, Pharo.image, and a folder called Pharo.changes, which I don't remember seeing before.

I've put all four of these into a folder on my desktop. What do I do now? How do I run the executable?

Re: How do I run Pharo on Debian?

justonium
./pharo-ui path/to/Pharo.image

This isn't an executable command.

Re: How do I run Pharo on Debian?

Olivier Auverlot

On debian 32 bits, the standard version works very well. Just unzip the archive and lauch pharo with the pharo bash script.

Le 7 oct. 2015 22:21, "justonium" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
./pharo-ui path/to/Pharo.image

This isn't an executable command.

Re: How do I run Pharo on Debian?

Peter Uhnak
This should work just fine (not sure if the zip contains "pharo" or "pharo-ui" but that doesn't matter)

./pharo(-ui) Pharo.image

can you add result of "ls" command and the error you are receiving when you try to run it?
"isn't an executable command" is not very useful (doesn't tell me anything)

Peter

On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 8:48 AM, olivier auverlot <[hidden email]> wrote:

On debian 32 bits, the standard version works very well. Just unzip the archive and lauch pharo with the pharo bash script.

Le 7 oct. 2015 22:21, "justonium" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
./pharo-ui path/to/Pharo.image

This isn't an executable command.

Re: How do I run Pharo on Debian?

justonium
I see how to run the command now. It didn't work when it ran, because I was missing some dependencies. I got someone at my local linux meetup to install the dependencies for me. They also installed an icon on my desktop that runs pharo. :)

http://forum.world.st/How-do-I-run-Pharo-on-Debian-tp4854180p4854342.html