How do I start Squeak on Raspberry Pi ?

Kirk Fraser
I have Squeak 4.5 All-In-One working in Kbuntu Linux after downloading, unzipping, and executing Squeak.sh   Attempting the same on a Raspberry Pi with the default OS, it downloads, unzips, and says squeak.sh is an executable file, do I want to execute?  I click execute then it does nothing.  What is needed to make it work?

I am working to hopefully get eToys video to work on Squeak 4.5 on a Pi 1 or 2, the cheapest computer I know about.

Thanks.

Kirk W. Fraser

Re: How do I start Squeak on Raspberry Pi ?

Michael Rice
First things first.

Every file has three permissions, read, write, and execute, for three groups: user, group, and all. Do you have execute permission for squeak.sh?

ls -l squeak.sh
-rwxrwxr-x. 1 mrice mrice 63 Oct 11 18:49 squeak.sh
   ^

If you show an "x" in column 4 (as above) then you have execute permission.

Have you tried double clicking the file?

Michael

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 2:51 AM, Kirk Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have Squeak 4.5 All-In-One working in Kbuntu Linux after downloading, unzipping, and executing Squeak.sh   Attempting the same on a Raspberry Pi with the default OS, it downloads, unzips, and says squeak.sh is an executable file, do I want to execute?  I click execute then it does nothing.  What is needed to make it work?

I am working to hopefully get eToys video to work on Squeak 4.5 on a Pi 1 or 2, the cheapest computer I know about.

Thanks.

Kirk W. Fraser

Re: How do I start Squeak on Raspberry Pi ?

Kirk Fraser
Hi Michael,

Yes the "ls" command you gave produces
-rwxrwxr-x 1 pi pi 63 Oct 12 00:49 squeak.sh

When I double click on squeak.sh I get a pop-up menu which says:  Execute File
This file 'squeak.sh' is executable. Do you wan to execute it?
[Execute]  [Execute in Terminal]  [Cancel]

Any of those choices does nothing visible but seems to block processing other commands for a moment.

I made a copy of squeak.sh onto the desktop and it does the same thing.

Kirk W. Fraser
www.JesusGospelChurch.com - Replace the fraud churches with the true church.
http://freetom.info - Example of False Justice common in America

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 5:54 AM, Michael Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Have you tried executing squeak.sh from the command line?

./squeak.sh<enter>

Michael

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 10:16 AM, Kirk Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I tried first squeak.sh and got
bash: squeak.sh command not found
I tried the command you supplied ./squeak.sh and got a popup Error
This Squeak version does not support Linux-armv6|
[ok]

I'm guessing that means I need a new version and I should subscribe to the developers list to ask for it.  Thanks for your assistance.

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Michael Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

How do I tell what OS it is running?  I just downloaded the default recommended when loading my Pi SD card.

I noticed an additional message in the terminal after the error popup appeared which may be helpful. It says:

./Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app/Contents/LinuxAndWindows/squeak.sh: line 38: /home/pi/Desktop/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One/Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app/Contents/LinuxAndWindows/Linux-armv6l/bin/squeak: No such file or directory

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 11:45 AM, Michael Rice <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Casey Ransberger-2
Hi Kirk,

By "default OS" I'm guessing you mean Raspbian.

On Linux, to be frank (not to be confused with Frank) I really think you're better off building your own VM from sources. We don't have a JIT that I know of for ARM based machines, so I'm guessing you want a "stack VM" or stack-oriented VM.

It might be worth asking what the best VM is for the Pi right now. Mine has an old build of tim's patches to the stack VM, IIRC.

I'm guessing the reason ./squeak worked when just plain squeak didn't, is because the directory the executable is in is not included in your PATH variable. Google will tell you how to fix that part. It's basically giving the system a list of directories to look through when you type the name of something you want to run.

Generally, getting a VM to work on Linux based systems is about satisfying dependencies precisely. Keep at it, and I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

For instant, one click easy installation, may I recommend a Mac or Windows machine?

The main problem with supporting "Linux" is just this: there are a million and one variations on that design, and we'd need a million and one maintainers to be able to make sure that it "just works." Obviously there aren't resources to do that, at least not right now.

So all that said, if you soldier through it and really push hard to learn everything you can about making stuff go on Linux systems, I can practically guarantee that people in the community will help you.

Maybe, later on, you can maintain the VM for your favorite GNU/Linux distro, so the next brave soul doesn't have to repeat your footwork.

HTH, and sorry about having been short with you a bit ago.

--C

On Feb 16, 2015, at 12:24 PM, Kirk Fraser <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks everyone.

After copying image, changes, and sources under the squeak folder in Raspian, I found it helpful to change my desktop squeak file to say:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=squeak
Icon=squeak