How do non-Croquet-aware resources work in a replicated environment?

How do non-Croquet-aware resources work in a replicated environment?

Tapple Gao
Imagine the Croquet VNC client, and how you interact with it.
When you click on a VNC window, the click is first sent to the
router, then sent back to every participant, including yourself,
before it is processed. Then, each client would send the click
event over the VNC channel, with the end result being that every
click gets multiplied by the number of participants.

At least, it seems like that is what would happen to me.
TPortals should have the same problem, it seems to me, but
neither the VNC client or portals have this bug where each
client sends and processes mouse clicks independently.

How does Croquet avoid this problem of turning every
externally-bound event into a mini-DOS attack? It seems like an
inevitable property of the model.

Re: How do non-Croquet-aware resources work in a replicated environment?

Joshua Gargus-2
It depends what replicated messages you choose to send.  I don't
remember the specifics of how Croquet VNC works, but the most
straightforward thing is to check first whether you are the originator
of the replicated click, and only then send the click to VNC.  You
could also avoid even sending the replicated message if you determine
that the thing that you clicked on is something like VNC (just send
the event directly to VNC), but then others in the space don't get
feedback about who is clicking on the object.

Josh

On Jun 23, 2008, at 10:14 AM, Matthew Fulmer wrote:

> Imagine the Croquet VNC client, and how you interact with it.
> When you click on a VNC window, the click is first sent to the
> router, then sent back to every participant, including yourself,
> before it is processed. Then, each client would send the click
> event over the VNC channel, with the end result being that every
> click gets multiplied by the number of participants.
>
> At least, it seems like that is what would happen to me.
> TPortals should have the same problem, it seems to me, but
> neither the VNC client or portals have this bug where each
> client sends and processes mouse clicks independently.
>
> How does Croquet avoid this problem of turning every
> externally-bound event into a mini-DOS attack? It seems like an
> inevitable property of the model.

> Matthew Fulmer -- http://mtfulmer.wordpress.com/

Jabberwocky Repository down?

Hans Baveco