How to Double Squeak?

Kirk Fraser
I want to run 2 Squeaks on a 2 core computer.  The first time I tried two instances, one complained that it couldn't save changes or something but ran anyway, enabling me to open both the internal webcam and a USB webcam at the same time and enjoy the same display speed on each.  To avoid the file conflict I later copied the entire Squeak directory to a copy to run separately.  I brought up the Task Manager to set the priorities high and affinity to each core separately.  Oddly the task manager showed two Squeak.exe's but only one had a description Squeak Cog Virtual Machine.  They both started but soon one gave a VM error message and quit.

What is the correct way to run a Squeak on each core?  I've seen a recommendation to use 4 cores for machine vision and i hope to do it in Squeak instead of C++ to better modify the perception code.

Thanks.

RE: How to Double Squeak?

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi Kirk,

You are correct that you need to copy the files, I would just copy the entire directory, as you did previously.  The error you saw was about the changes file.  The image will still run but since the changes file is already open in the first instance it cannot be used for the second.  You could actually delete the changes file and run from the same directory but I wouldn’t recommend that either.

On windows you can set the affinity to a particular CPU.  Use your task manager to set the affinity for each instance.  They should then run on different CPUs.  You may need to change the name to get it to stick for the next launch.

All the best,

Ron