How to add/enable speech synthesis?

Dr. Alexander Klein
Hello,

I just wanted to experiment with speech synthesis in Squeak 4.3 All-in-one, but after an hour or so of browsing I still can't find where to enable it. I thought I'd find it in SqueakMap, but it doesn't seem to be there.

Can anyone give me a hint?

Thank you in advance,

        Alex

--
Dr. Alexander Klein, Diplom-Mathematiker
Physiologisches Institut der JLU-Gießen

http://www.med.uni-giessen.de/physio/

Re: How to add/enable speech synthesis?

Chris Cunnington
On 12-07-10 11:25 AM, Dr. Alexander Klein wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to experiment with speech synthesis in Squeak 4.3 All-in-one, but after an hour or so of browsing I still can't find where to enable it. I thought I'd find it in SqueakMap, but it doesn't seem to be there.
>
> Can anyone give me a hint?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Alex

My first thought is to use a Morph tool. Click on the background/World
and bring up the World menu. Click on "objects (o)". Click on
"Multimedia". Drag "SoundRecorder" onto the World and it will expand. I
think you can record your voice and play it back.

Using (on a Mac) Option+click (Alt+click ? on Windows) you can bring up
a halo that will give you ways to explore the morphs. Some dig down to
its code.

Chris

Re: How to add/enable speech synthesis?

Bert Freudenberg

On 10.07.2012, at 17:25, Dr. Alexander Klein wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to experiment with speech synthesis in Squeak 4.3 All-in-one, but after an hour or so of browsing I still can't find where to enable it. I thought I'd find it in SqueakMap, but it doesn't seem to be there.
>
> Can anyone give me a hint?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Alex

Hi Alex,

execute this:

================
[Installer ss
        project: 'Speech';
        install: 'SharedPool-Speech';
        install: 'Speech'
] on: Error do: [:ex | (Smalltalk at: #PhonemeSet) initialize. ex resume].
================

This will install the Speech package from
        http://www.squeaksource.com/Speech.html
(and work around an initialization problem)

Then do

        Speaker manWithHead say: 'This is my voice. Can you see my lips?'

Fun! :)

For someone with write access to the Speech repo (Dave?):

In "LipsMorph class >> initialize" add the line

        PhonemeSet arpabet ifNil: [PhonemeSet initialize].

- Bert -

Re: How to add/enable speech synthesis?

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 05:56:27PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> For someone with write access to the Speech repo (Dave?):
>
> In "LipsMorph class >> initialize" add the line
>
> PhonemeSet arpabet ifNil: [PhonemeSet initialize].

Bert,

I can't do an update right now, but I added you as developer on the Speech project.

Dave

On 10.07.2012, at 18:42, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 05:56:27PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>
>> For someone with write access to the Speech repo (Dave?):
>>
>> In "LipsMorph class >> initialize" add the line
>>
>> PhonemeSet arpabet ifNil: [PhonemeSet initialize].
>
> Bert,
>
> I can't do an update right now, but I added you as developer on the Speech project.
>
> Dave

Okay, committed the fix. Now this works for me:

Installer ss
        project: 'Speech';
        install: 'SharedPool-Speech';
        install: 'Speech'

- Bert -

Re: How to add/enable speech synthesis?

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you Bert,
as Alex has searched for it for one hour it would be a nice snippet to
add to the
'Extending the system' workspace thus reinforcing the notion that
Squeak is geared towards multimedia...

-- Hannes

On 2012-07-10, at 23:02, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Thank you Bert,
> as Alex has searched for it for one hour it would be a nice snippet to
> add to the
> 'Extending the system' workspace thus reinforcing the notion that
> Squeak is geared towards multimedia...
>
> -- Hannes

Feel free to add.

- Bert -

> On 7/10/12, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Bert,
>>>
>>> I can't do an update right now, but I added you as developer on the Speech
>>> project.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>
>> Okay, committed the fix. Now this works for me:
>>
>> Installer ss
>> project: 'Speech';
>> install: 'SharedPool-Speech';
>> install: 'Speech'
>>
>> - Bert -

Re: How to add/enable speech synthesis?

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Tue, 10 Jul 2012, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Thank you Bert,
> as Alex has searched for it for one hour it would be a nice snippet to
> add to the
> 'Extending the system' workspace thus reinforcing the notion that
> Squeak is geared towards multimedia...

I only ever heard that "multimedia stuff" about Squeak from Pharo folks.
Squeak is still a general purpose Smalltalk.

Levente

> -- Hannes
>
> On 7/10/12, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Bert,
>>>
>>> I can't do an update right now, but I added you as developer on the Speech
>>> project.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>
>> Okay, committed the fix. Now this works for me:
>>
>> Installer ss
>> project: 'Speech';
>> install: 'SharedPool-Speech';
>> install: 'Speech'
>>
>> - Bert -

Re: How to add/enable speech synthesis?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Levente Uzonyi-2 wrote
I only ever heard that "multimedia stuff" about Squeak from Pharo folks.
Squeak is still a general purpose Smalltalk.
Squeak, as a Smalltalk dialect, is prototype dynabook software, of which broad multimedia support is an essential requirement. In order to achieve it's true potential, the computer must subsume all previous media, as Alan has so often mentioned. At the moment, Pharo is very focused on cleaning and evolving, so I think multimedia support is currently better in Squeak.

Cheers,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: How to add/enable speech synthesis?

Dr. Alexander Klein
Bert and everybody else,

thank you for your kind support with the speech synthesizer!

I got it working, and am really curious to see how useful it will be for giving feedback in a virtually screenless environment.

Kind regards,

        Alex