How to download Pharo40?

Mark Rizun
Hi,

We have this web-site http://get.pharo.org/40.
Can smb explain to me how to download / install the newest version of pharo40?

Thanks,
Mark

Re: How to download Pharo40?

Uko2
Hi,

you can run

curl get.pharo.org/40+vm | bash

To load latest image + vm. or you can just get a latest image from:

http://files.pharo.org/image/40/latest.zip

Uko

On 06 Jul 2014, at 18:40, Mark Rizun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have this web-site http://get.pharo.org/40.
> Can smb explain to me how to download / install the newest version of
> pharo40?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Re: How to download Pharo40?

Mark Rizun
Ok, thank you.

Mark

you can run

curl get.pharo.org/40+vm | bash

To load latest image + vm. or you can just get a latest image from:

http://files.pharo.org/image/40/latest.zip

Uko

On 06 Jul 2014, at 18:40, Mark Rizun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have this web-site http://get.pharo.org/40.
> Can smb explain to me how to download / install the newest version of
> pharo40?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Re: How to download Pharo40?

stepharo
We should add that to the pharo web site :)

Stef

On 6/7/14 18:45, Yuriy Tymchuk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> you can run
>
> curl get.pharo.org/40+vm | bash
>
> To load latest image + vm. or you can just get a latest image from:
>
> http://files.pharo.org/image/40/latest.zip
>
> Uko
>
> On 06 Jul 2014, at 18:40, Mark Rizun <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have this web-site http://get.pharo.org/40.
>> Can smb explain to me how to download / install the newest version of
>> pharo40?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark

Re: How to download Pharo40?

Mark Rizun
Just interesting: what do you mean "run" "curl get.pharo.org/40+vm | bash"?

Ok, thank you.

Mark

you can run

curl get.pharo.org/40+vm | bash

To load latest image + vm. or you can just get a latest image from:

http://files.pharo.org/image/40/latest.zip

Uko

On 06 Jul 2014, at 18:40, Mark Rizun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have this web-site http://get.pharo.org/40.
> Can smb explain to me how to download / install the newest version of
> pharo40?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Re: How to download Pharo40?

stepharo
execute on the command line on unix

Stef

On 6/7/14 18:59, Mark Rizun wrote:
Just interesting: what do you mean "run" "curl get.pharo.org/40+vm | bash"?

Ok, thank you.

Mark

you can run

curl get.pharo.org/40+vm | bash

To load latest image + vm. or you can just get a latest image from:

http://files.pharo.org/image/40/latest.zip

Uko

On 06 Jul 2014, at 18:40, Mark Rizun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have this web-site http://get.pharo.org/40.
> Can smb explain to me how to download / install the newest version of
> pharo40?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Re: How to download Pharo40?

Guillermo Polito
He means to run that command in a terminal/console.

If not, you'll find always the latest build image in here:

and the VM from...

But since Pharo4 is in development, you have to update it often :)

Guille

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Mark Rizun <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just interesting: what do you mean "run" "curl get.pharo.org/40+vm | bash"?

Ok, thank you.

Mark

you can run

curl get.pharo.org/40+vm | bash

To load latest image + vm. or you can just get a latest image from:

http://files.pharo.org/image/40/latest.zip

Uko

On 06 Jul 2014, at 18:40, Mark Rizun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have this web-site http://get.pharo.org/40.
> Can smb explain to me how to download / install the newest version of
> pharo40?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Re: How to download Pharo40?

Mark Rizun
Great, thanks, now it's clear)

Mark

He means to run that command in a terminal/console.

If not, you'll find always the latest build image in here:

and the VM from...

But since Pharo4 is in development, you have to update it often :)

Guille

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Mark Rizun <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just interesting: what do you mean "run" "curl get.pharo.org/40+vm | bash"?

Ok, thank you.

Mark

you can run

curl get.pharo.org/40+vm | bash

To load latest image + vm. or you can just get a latest image from:

http://files.pharo.org/image/40/latest.zip

Uko

On 06 Jul 2014, at 18:40, Mark Rizun <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have this web-site http://get.pharo.org/40.
> Can smb explain to me how to download / install the newest version of
> pharo40?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Re: How to download Pharo40?

Tim Mackinnon
Uko2 wrote
you can run

curl get.pharo.org/40+vm | bash

To load latest image + vm.
Does this actually work? I just ran it today - and it did download 2 scripts and a pharo-vm directory. But when I run either of the scripts I get a file prompter on OSX (presumably the VM asking me for the location of an image file?).

I would have expected it to give me something like the 1-click download that would run? Do I also have to download a 40 image file as well? I expected the 40+ of the command line to mean image?

Am I missing something?

Tim

Re: How to download Pharo40?

Marcus Denker-4

On 09 Jul 2014, at 17:25, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Uko2 wrote
>> you can run
>>
>> curl get.pharo.org/40+vm | bash
>>
>> To load latest image + vm.
>
> Does this actually work? I just ran it today - and it did download 2 scripts
> and a pharo-vm directory. But when I run either of the scripts I get a file
> prompter on OSX (presumably the VM asking me for the location of an image
> file?).

The image is downloaded, too.

./pharo-ui Pharo.image

will start it.

        Marcus

Re: How to download Pharo40?

Uko2
Hi Tim,

if you want a 1-click thing, you can get it from: http://pharo.org/download

There is no such thing available for Pharo 4 as it’s in a development stage and only experienced hackers use it. You can run Pharo with

./pharo-ui Pharo.image

as described at http://get.pharo.org.

Personally I download images themselves. You can launch them on Mac with double click. Maybe you’ll be also interested in Pharo launcher: http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/PharoLauncher

Cheers!
Uko

On 09 Jul 2014, at 17:32, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Tim,

if you want a 1-click thing, you can get it from: http://pharo.org/download

There is no such thing available for Pharo 4 as it’s in a development stage and only experienced hackers use it. You can run Pharo with

There is…

We need to extend the website for Pharo4… when it was done there was none yet… but we need that information.

[...]

Thanks Marcus - you know I did read the deepintopharo first chapter - but I didn't notice the subtle invocation mentioned under "How to find our way" (I think it was a bit wordy for me).

Thinking about this - I think it might be clearer if the heading for 2.3 was "Running An Image with Command line options"

And the first paragraph was subtly changed to:

We now have a new and easier way to launch an image from the command line and process command line arguments. If you have followed the steps above you can use:

./pharo <image> [--<options>]

OR

./pharo-ui <image> [--<options]

Where typically <image> is Pharo.image and <options> can be omitted, or if you want to see some basic documentation use --help e.g.

./pharo Pharo.image --help

Re: How to download Pharo40?

Tim Mackinnon
Uko - the pharo launcher actually sounds pretty good as I do have lots of images kicking around that I've lost track of, so I will give it a go.

Tim

Re: How to download Pharo40?

Tim Mackinnon
Actually - I've realised that there is a simple thing that would be helpful on the http://pharo.org/download page.

Where it mentions the Zero Conf script and the Hacker Downloads section points to the "(Read the ZeroConf chapter on http://www.deepintopharo.com)" - it would be much more useful if they also mentioned there are docs on "http://get.pharo.org/"

That would have fixed my problem.

Tim

Re: How to download Pharo40?

Tim Mackinnon
Hey Uko - just tried Pharo launcher and its actually pretty good. I already have a few ideas for little tweaks so maybe I may be able to contribute something when I get a bit better.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Tim

Re: How to download Pharo40?

Uko2
You are welcome. I think that original author Damien Cassou will appreciate tweaks :)

Uko

On 09 Jul 2014, at 21:50, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Uko - just tried Pharo launcher and its actually pretty good. I already
> have a few ideas for little tweaks so maybe I may be able to contribute
> something when I get a bit better.
>
> Thanks for pointing it out.
>
> Tim

Re: How to download Pharo40?

Marcus Denker-4

On 09 Jul 2014, at 18:15, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually - I've realised that there is a simple thing that would be helpful
> on the http://pharo.org/download page.
>
> Where it mentions the Zero Conf script and the Hacker Downloads section
> points to the "(Read the ZeroConf chapter on http://www.deepintopharo.com)"
> - it would be much more useful if they also mentioned there are docs on
> "http://get.pharo.org/"
>
> That would have fixed my problem.

Ok, I will do a pass over the page and add this tomorrow.

        Marcus

Re: How to download Pharo40?

Damien Cassou

Le 9 juil. 2014 21:52, "Tim Mackinnon" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hey Uko - just tried Pharo launcher and its actually pretty good. I already
> have a few ideas for little tweaks so maybe I may be able to contribute
> something when I get a bit better.

I love when people contribute to the launcher . Please do