How to fix broken images?

Philip Bernhart
Hi,

certainly people have also had the experience of making a flawed change
to an image which caused then to pop up endlessly debuggers and then
for some reason that image was saved.

Currently I don't have this situation, but how could someone in theory
fix that?

Recovering from changesets is one solution. But what if the changeset
was lost? And the only useable state would be in that image?

Then even going one step further and lets say, that the image write
failed slightly for some reason, due a power outage for example.

Are there tools to load and inspect an image?

Thanks for input and time,
Philip

Re: How to fix broken images?

Edgar De Cleene
From memory , Guillermo Polito of Pharo comunnity some time ago publish some
about opening and doing some with .image

Edgar
@morplenauta

On 14/07/2019, 11:06, "Philip Bernhart" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,

certainly people have also had the experience of making a flawed
> change
to an image which caused then to pop up endlessly debuggers and
> then
for some reason that image was saved.

Currently I don't have this
> situation, but how could someone in theory
fix that?

Recovering from
> changesets is one solution. But what if the changeset
was lost? And the only
> useable state would be in that image?

Then even going one step further and
> lets say, that the image write
failed slightly for some reason, due a power
> outage for example.

Are there tools to load and inspect an image?

Thanks
> for input and time,
Philip

Re: How to fix broken images?

Levente Uzonyi
Hi Philip,

On Sun, 14 Jul 2019, Philip Bernhart wrote:

> Hi,
>
> certainly people have also had the experience of making a flawed change
> to an image which caused then to pop up endlessly debuggers and then
> for some reason that image was saved.
>
> Currently I don't have this situation, but how could someone in theory
> fix that?

It highly depends on the situation. If you're lucky, you can pass a
startup script to the vm with 'Utilities closeAllDebuggers' in it and get
rid of all the debuggers upon start.
If that doesn't help, but you know why the debuggers are appearing, e.g.
you modified a core method and now it has a bug, you can also try reverting
that change from the startup script.

> Recovering from changesets is one solution. But what if the changeset
> was lost? And the only useable state would be in that image?

Normally you recover from the .changes file. I have never seen the changes
file getting lost. Perhaps a disk-is-full-situation could cause that.

> Then even going one step further and lets say, that the image write
> failed slightly for some reason, due a power outage for example.
>
> Are there tools to load and inspect an image?

The simulator in VMMaker can load images. I haven't tried it lately, but
I'm sure you can inspect objects of the loaded image.

Levente