How to get date/time from internet atomic clock

How to get date/time from internet atomic clock

Louis LaBrunda
Hi All,

I'm getting a Raspberry Pi.  I think I may need and automatic way to set
the date and time.  I have some code in VA Smalltalk to get it from an
internet atomic clock server but before I try to port it to Squeak, I'm
wondering if there isn't already code present?

Also, if not, can someone please point me to some internet socket class to
use to talk to the atomic clock server (UDP).  Thanks in advance.

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:[hidden email] http://www.Keystone-Software.com

Re: How to get date/time from internet atomic clock

Frank Shearar-3
On 18 January 2013 23:45, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm getting a Raspberry Pi.  I think I may need and automatic way to set
> the date and time.  I have some code in VA Smalltalk to get it from an
> internet atomic clock server but before I try to port it to Squeak, I'm
> wondering if there isn't already code present?
>
> Also, if not, can someone please point me to some internet socket class to
> use to talk to the atomic clock server (UDP).  Thanks in advance.

You could use ntp to connect to the clock, and talk to ntp?

frank

Re: How to get date/time from internet atomic clock

timrowledge

On 18-01-2013, at 3:59 PM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18 January 2013 23:45, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm getting a Raspberry Pi.  I think I may need and automatic way to set
>> the date and time.  I have some code in VA Smalltalk to get it from an
>> internet atomic clock server but before I try to port it to Squeak, I'm
>> wondering if there isn't already code present?
>>
>> Also, if not, can someone please point me to some internet socket class to
>> use to talk to the atomic clock server (UDP).  Thanks in advance.
>
> You could use ntp to connect to the clock, and talk to ntp?
Pretty much every OS  - yes, even RISC OS  - already does that, the time ought to be set before you even get a chance to start Squeak.

tim
AAAAAA - American Association Against Acronym Abuse Anonymous

Re: How to get date/time from internet atomic clock

Bert Freudenberg
On 18.01.2013, at 15:45, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm getting a Raspberry Pi.  I think I may need and automatic way to set
> the date and time.

apt-get install ntpdate

- Bert -

On 19 January 2013 00:40, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 18.01.2013, at 15:45, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm getting a Raspberry Pi.  I think I may need and automatic way to set
>> the date and time.
>
> apt-get install ntpdate

Doesn't this ship as standard in a Debian-like distro?

frank

> - Bert -
>
>>  I have some code in VA Smalltalk to get it from an
>> internet atomic clock server but before I try to port it to Squeak, I'm
>> wondering if there isn't already code present?
>>
>> Also, if not, can someone please point me to some internet socket class to
>> use to talk to the atomic clock server (UDP).  Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Lou
>> Louis LaBrunda
>> Keystone Software Corp.
>> SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
>> mailto:[hidden email] http://www.Keystone-Software.com

How to get date/time from internet atomic clock

Louis LaBrunda
Thanks Everyone,

I should have my RasPi soon and will probably have more questions then.