How to load RB into Squeak 3.7?

Philippe Marschall
Hi

I have recently set up a new Squeak 3.7 image in order to work on some
software that still runs on Squeak 3.7 (and will continue to do so for
the foreseeable future). Since SqueakMap does no longer work for
Squeak 3.7 what is be easiest way to load the Refacoring Browser?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: How to load RB into Squeak 3.7?

keith1y
Philippe Marschall wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have recently set up a new Squeak 3.7 image in order to work on some
> software that still runs on Squeak 3.7 (and will continue to do so for
> the foreseeable future). Since SqueakMap does no longer work for
> Squeak 3.7 what is be easiest way to load the Refacoring Browser?
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

The easiest way to load from SqueakMap if you dont have the GUI tools is
via Installer.
This has an http: interface to squeak map which does not use any
SqueakMap code.
It also has squeakmap searching capability!

To use it.

Installer websqueakmap install: 'PackageName(1.1)'.
or for the latest version.
Installer websqueakmap install: 'PackageName'.

#wsm is available as an appreviation for #websqueakmap.
#sm is available as an abbeviation for #squeakmap.

Thinking about it it may be worth providing the equivalent for Universes
for future 3.10 kernel images. Does/could the universe server have an
http: presentation?

all the best

Keith

p.s. I have not tested it for a while with 3.7 so if it fails, let me
know, (I am in irc)

p.p.s. If you have no way of loading installer itself, a source version
is available for bootstrapping.

(HTTPSocket httpGet: 'installer.pbwiki.com/f/Installer.st') fileIn.

see http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/Installer for more details.

Re: How to load RB into Squeak 3.7?

Lex Spoon-3
"Philippe Marschall" <[hidden email]> writes:
> I have recently set up a new Squeak 3.7 image in order to work on some
> software that still runs on Squeak 3.7 (and will continue to do so for
> the foreseeable future). Since SqueakMap does no longer work for
> Squeak 3.7 what is be easiest way to load the Refacoring Browser?

You can use the Package-Universes release for this.  It includes 200
packages that load into 3.7, including the Refactoring Browser.

Here is its home page:

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3835

If you are going to continue with 3.7, you might think about setting
up your own universe server.  Then you can augment the 3.7 stable
universe with extra package versions that your organization selects.

-Lex

15 Oct 2007 18:20:24 -0400, Lex Spoon <[hidden email]>:

> "Philippe Marschall" <[hidden email]> writes:
> > I have recently set up a new Squeak 3.7 image in order to work on some
> > software that still runs on Squeak 3.7 (and will continue to do so for
> > the foreseeable future). Since SqueakMap does no longer work for
> > Squeak 3.7 what is be easiest way to load the Refacoring Browser?
>
> You can use the Package-Universes release for this.  It includes 200
> packages that load into 3.7, including the Refactoring Browser.
>
> Here is its home page:
>
>   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3835
>

> If you are going to continue with 3.7, you might think about setting
> up your own universe server.  Then you can augment the 3.7 stable
> universe with extra package versions that your organization selects.

For now it used a never Squeak Image to get the url of the RB package
and downloaded it manually and then filed it in. Standard procedure
for any SqueakMap related problems.

Cheers
Philippe