How to play animated GIFs in Squeak?

marcel.taeumel (old)
Is it possible? There is an "AnimatedGIFReadWriter" class but it only produces some forms that seem not to represent frames --- but I am no expert in how GIFs are encoded at all. :)

Best,
Marcel

Re: How to play animated GIFs in Squeak?

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 05:06:41AM -0800, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Is it possible? There is an "AnimatedGIFReadWriter" class but it only
> produces some forms that seem not to represent frames --- but I am no expert
> in how GIFs are encoded at all. :)

I'm not sure the current status, but there are a number of pages on the
swiki related to animated gifs. Try going to wiki.squeak.org and do a search
for "animated gif".

Dave

Re: How to play animated GIFs in Squeak?

marcel.taeumel (old)
Ah, I found (Via swiki) the AnimatedImageMorph. However, it is a GIF89a and the result looks quite broken. I suppose the AnimatedGIFReadWriter is broken in this respect *or* my input file is not a valid GIF89a.

Does anyone know whether the forms list should represent *complete* frames or could it be part of frames that have to be on top of each other?

Best,
Marcel

Re: How to play animated GIFs in Squeak?

marcel.taeumel (old)
Ah, I see. First image is the background. The following are only the visual diff. Now, the reader destroys those diffs by cropping the transparent surroundings and the animated morph does not know about the concept of background image.

Hmmm...

Best,
Marcel

Re: How to play animated GIFs in Squeak?

Bert Freudenberg

> On 03.03.2015, at 05:41, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ah, I see. First image is the background. The following are only the visual
> diff. Now, the reader destroys those diffs by cropping the transparent
> surroundings and the animated morph does not know about the concept of
> background image.

The AnimatedImageMorph in Etoys works. See attached.

- Bert -

AnimatedImageMorph.st (8K) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: How to play animated GIFs in Squeak?

marcel.taeumel (old)
Nope, it's broken, too. Try the attached GIF. It does not consider #offset. :-) And it does not treat individual forms as deltas of the animation but whole frames, which is wrong.

smart-hover-1.gif

Best,
Marcel

Re: How to play animated GIFs in Squeak?

Edgar De Cleene

On 3/3/15, 10:06 AM, "Marcel Taeumel"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it possible? There is an "AnimatedGIFReadWriter" class but it only
> produces some forms that seem not to represent frames --- but I am no expert
> in how GIFs are encoded at all. :)
>
> Best,
> Marcel

I think maybe once I did this, must search my old things into the
"catacumbas".
If (when) I found send feedback.

Edgar
P.D. And you was welcomed in our Spanish

Re: How to play animated GIFs in Squeak?

Chris Muller-3

Ohh, "smart hover" looks neat what is that?

On 03.03.2015, at 22:46, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nope, it's broken, too. Try the attached GIF. It does not consider #offset.
:-) And it does not treat individual forms as deltas of the animation but
whole frames, which is wrong.

smart-hover-1.gif <http://forum.world.st/file/n4809356/smart-hover-1.gif>

It does work fine in Etoys:

I don't have the time to check what's different, but I'd rather you use the version from Etoys than doing it all over:

Ah. Actually. It even works in Squeak after dropping in the Etoys AnimatedImageMorph.st (but before loading your changes).

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: How to play animated GIFs in Squeak?

marcel.taeumel (old)
Ah, #displayOn:... considers #offset from the form. Okay, we can take that implementation.

Best,
Marcel