How to release OminBrowser? (was OmniBrowser)

How to release OminBrowser? (was OmniBrowser)

Chris Cunnington
"This might be a reason to go for a release 4.4 after that."

This neatly proposes a solution to the problem of how to distribute the
OmniBrowser.
Releasing it with in an image release is one way to go. I don't think
that eight
weeks after releasing 4.3 that we'll be doing that. I'd expect 4.4 no
earlier than
Summer. And when we do release 4.4 a primary objective will to include Cog.

By the way, Cog is a good example of how change works for Squeak. The
transition
has been going on for a year, a year and a half. And nobody would say Cog
wasn't anything but a boon. What if something were not so clearly
beneficial?

That's what I figure the Jenkins server will be for. People can get used
to things if they have an artifact to play with. If we want to make
changes to
the image to the extent we have for the vm, then we can accommodate both
early
adopters and late adopters by having a place to get an artifact long
before it goes into
the Squeak release. Eliot has his download page. It is to be hoped that the
Jenkins server will do that for images.

(Yes, we have an FTP download site, but it would be better to give
accounts to
people and let them try things out in public, generate tests, etc. And I'd
like to see people who do fascinating things but have a lower profile, like
Jon Hylands, have an account so people could try an image with their ideas.)

How do we release OmniBrowser? This is an issue on
the agenda for the next meeting of the SOB.

One way is an Installer script. Perhaps another is a sar file like the one
I used yesterday to load OSProcess? How about an image segment?
If people could generate some ideas, then Tuesday's meeting of the
SOB will be more productive.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: How to release OminBrowser? (was OmniBrowser)

Tobias Pape

Am 2012-03-01 um 15:34 schrieb Chris Cunnington:

> "This might be a reason to go for a release 4.4 after that."
> […]
> How do we release OmniBrowser? This is an issue on
> the agenda for the next meeting of the SOB.
>
> One way is an Installer script. Perhaps another is a sar file like the one
> I used yesterday to load OSProcess? How about an image segment?
> If people could generate some ideas, then Tuesday's meeting of the
> SOB will be more productive.

I don't want to say it should be the default Distribution method,
but I think a Metacello-Configuration for OB on Squeak is a must-have.
I know, this might kick of discussions of whether or not to have Metacello
in a base image and the like, but from an Administrators perspective
(or DevOp?) Metacello provides means to “depend on” Smalltalk software
and seems well-suited for software distribution and, even more so, maintenance.

Best
        -Tobias

Re: How to release OminBrowser? (was OmniBrowser)

Colin Putney-3
On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't want to say it should be the default Distribution method,
> but I think a Metacello-Configuration for OB on Squeak is a must-have.
> I know, this might kick of discussions of whether or not to have Metacello
> in a base image and the like, but from an Administrators perspective
> (or DevOp?) Metacello provides means to “depend on” Smalltalk software
> and seems well-suited for software distribution and, even more so, maintenance.

Absolutely. I'll definitely update ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser with the
the new release.

The question is, how can we make it even easier to install?

Re: How to release OminBrowser? (was OmniBrowser)

Dale Henrichs
Colin,

Let me know if you want me to help ...

Dale

| On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
|
| > I don't want to say it should be the default Distribution method,
| > but I think a Metacello-Configuration for OB on Squeak is a
| > must-have.
| > I know, this might kick of discussions of whether or not to have
| > Metacello
| > in a base image and the like, but from an Administrators
| > perspective
| > (or DevOp?) Metacello provides means to “depend on” Smalltalk
| > software
| > and seems well-suited for software distribution and, even more so,
| > maintenance.
|
| Absolutely. I'll definitely update ConfigurationOfOmniBrowser with
| the
| the new release.
|
| The question is, how can we make it even easier to install?

Re: How to release OminBrowser? (was OmniBrowser)

강진오
What is Metacello? I have Monticello, but not Metacello. Are Monticello and Metacello the same?

2012/3/2 Tobias Pape <[hidden email]>

Am 2012-03-01 um 15:34 schrieb Chris Cunnington:

> "This might be a reason to go for a release 4.4 after that."
> […]
> How do we release OmniBrowser? This is an issue on
> the agenda for the next meeting of the SOB.
>
> One way is an Installer script. Perhaps another is a sar file like the one
> I used yesterday to load OSProcess? How about an image segment?
> If people could generate some ideas, then Tuesday's meeting of the
> SOB will be more productive.

I don't want to say it should be the default Distribution method,
but I think a Metacello-Configuration for OB on Squeak is a must-have.
I know, this might kick of discussions of whether or not to have Metacello
in a base image and the like, but from an Administrators perspective
(or DevOp?) Metacello provides means to “depend on” Smalltalk software
and seems well-suited for software distribution and, even more so, maintenance.

Best
       -Tobias

Re: How to release OminBrowser? (was OmniBrowser)

Frank Shearar-3
On 2 March 2012 13:47, 강진오 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is Metacello? I have Monticello, but not Metacello. Are Monticello and
> Metacello the same?

No. Monticello is a version control system that uses packages calls mcz files.

Metacello is a configuration management system, so describes how
Monticello packages make up some project.

If you browse the source of this package -
http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository/ConfigurationOfQuaternion-fbs.4.mcz
- you'll see how Nicolas Cellier's Quaternion package is configured.

For a slightly less trivial example, take a look at
http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository/ConfigurationOfSqueakCheck-fbs.8.mcz

Both of these are Monticello packages containing Metacello configurations.

To install either, load the package into your system and run
"ConfigurationOfQuaternion load" or "ConfigurationOfSqueakCheck load".
That, off the top of my head, ought to be sufficient to load both.
(It'll take a while: both will bootstrap Metacello into your image.)
(If they don't load cleanly, please tell me and I'll fix them!)

frank

> 2012/3/2 Tobias Pape <[hidden email]>
>>

>> Am 2012-03-01 um 15:34 schrieb Chris Cunnington:
>>
>> > "This might be a reason to go for a release 4.4 after that."
>> > […]
>> > How do we release OmniBrowser? This is an issue on
>> > the agenda for the next meeting of the SOB.
>> >
>> > One way is an Installer script. Perhaps another is a sar file like the
>> > one
>> > I used yesterday to load OSProcess? How about an image segment?
>> > If people could generate some ideas, then Tuesday's meeting of the
>> > SOB will be more productive.
>>
>> I don't want to say it should be the default Distribution method,
>> but I think a Metacello-Configuration for OB on Squeak is a must-have.
>> I know, this might kick of discussions of whether or not to have Metacello
>> in a base image and the like, but from an Administrators perspective
>> (or DevOp?) Metacello provides means to “depend on” Smalltalk software
>> and seems well-suited for software distribution and, even more so,
>> maintenance.
>>
>> Best
>>        -Tobias

Re: How to release OminBrowser? (was OmniBrowser)

강진오
Is Metacello installable?

2012/3/2 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
On 2 March 2012 13:47, 강진오 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What is Metacello? I have Monticello, but not Metacello. Are Monticello and
> Metacello the same?

No. Monticello is a version control system that uses packages calls mcz files.

Metacello is a configuration management system, so describes how
Monticello packages make up some project.

If you browse the source of this package -
http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository/ConfigurationOfQuaternion-fbs.4.mcz
- you'll see how Nicolas Cellier's Quaternion package is configured.

For a slightly less trivial example, take a look at
http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository/ConfigurationOfSqueakCheck-fbs.8.mcz

Both of these are Monticello packages containing Metacello configurations.

To install either, load the package into your system and run
"ConfigurationOfQuaternion load" or "ConfigurationOfSqueakCheck load".
That, off the top of my head, ought to be sufficient to load both.
(It'll take a while: both will bootstrap Metacello into your image.)
(If they don't load cleanly, please tell me and I'll fix them!)

frank

> 2012/3/2 Tobias Pape <[hidden email]>
>>

>> Am 2012-03-01 um 15:34 schrieb Chris Cunnington:
>>
>> > "This might be a reason to go for a release 4.4 after that."
>> > […]
>> > How do we release OmniBrowser? This is an issue on
>> > the agenda for the next meeting of the SOB.
>> >
>> > One way is an Installer script. Perhaps another is a sar file like the
>> > one
>> > I used yesterday to load OSProcess? How about an image segment?
>> > If people could generate some ideas, then Tuesday's meeting of the
>> > SOB will be more productive.
>>
>> I don't want to say it should be the default Distribution method,
>> but I think a Metacello-Configuration for OB on Squeak is a must-have.
>> I know, this might kick of discussions of whether or not to have Metacello
>> in a base image and the like, but from an Administrators perspective
>> (or DevOp?) Metacello provides means to “depend on” Smalltalk software
>> and seems well-suited for software distribution and, even more so,
>> maintenance.
>>
>> Best
>>        -Tobias

Re: How to release OminBrowser? (was OmniBrowser)

Frank Shearar-3
Certainly.

  Installer ss
       project: 'MetacelloRepository';
       install: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello'.
  (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) load

should be all you need to do.

frank

2012/3/2 강진오 <[hidden email]>:

> Is Metacello installable?
>

> 2012/3/2 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On 2 March 2012 13:47, 강진오 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > What is Metacello? I have Monticello, but not Metacello. Are Monticello
>> > and
>> > Metacello the same?
>>
>> No. Monticello is a version control system that uses packages calls mcz
>> files.
>>
>> Metacello is a configuration management system, so describes how
>> Monticello packages make up some project.
>>
>> If you browse the source of this package -
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository/ConfigurationOfQuaternion-fbs.4.mcz
>> - you'll see how Nicolas Cellier's Quaternion package is configured.
>>
>> For a slightly less trivial example, take a look at
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository/ConfigurationOfSqueakCheck-fbs.8.mcz
>>
>> Both of these are Monticello packages containing Metacello configurations.
>>
>> To install either, load the package into your system and run
>> "ConfigurationOfQuaternion load" or "ConfigurationOfSqueakCheck load".
>> That, off the top of my head, ought to be sufficient to load both.
>> (It'll take a while: both will bootstrap Metacello into your image.)
>> (If they don't load cleanly, please tell me and I'll fix them!)
>>
>> frank

Re: How to release OminBrowser? (was OmniBrowser)

강진오
package ConfigurationOfMetacello of project MetacelloRepository...
Thanks

2012년 3월 2일 오후 11:08, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>님의 말:

2012/3/2 강진오 <[hidden email]>:
> Is Metacello installable?
>

> 2012/3/2 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On 2 March 2012 13:47, 강진오 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > What is Metacello? I have Monticello, but not Metacello. Are Monticello
>> > and
>> > Metacello the same?
>>
>> No. Monticello is a version control system that uses packages calls mcz
>> files.
>>
>> Metacello is a configuration management system, so describes how
>> Monticello packages make up some project.
>>
>> If you browse the source of this package -
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository/ConfigurationOfQuaternion-fbs.4.mcz
>> - you'll see how Nicolas Cellier's Quaternion package is configured.
>>
>> For a slightly less trivial example, take a look at
>>
>> http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository/ConfigurationOfSqueakCheck-fbs.8.mcz
>>
>> Both of these are Monticello packages containing Metacello configurations.
>>
>> To install either, load the package into your system and run
>> "ConfigurationOfQuaternion load" or "ConfigurationOfSqueakCheck load".
>> That, off the top of my head, ought to be sufficient to load both.
>> (It'll take a while: both will bootstrap Metacello into your image.)
>> (If they don't load cleanly, please tell me and I'll fix them!)
>>
>> frank

Re: How to release OminBrowser? (was OmniBrowser)

Paul DeBruicker
Here is the Metacello project page which has additional info & docs: