How to run a Mac Interpreter VM without sound?

How to run a Mac Interpreter VM without sound?

Frank Shearar-3

The OS X (10.8.0) build slave I use for CI fails to run any
interpreter-vm-using commands because of sound issues. If I use the
arguments "-vm-display-null" it says

squeak: could not find any sound driver

and aborts.

If I use the arguments "-vm-display-null -vm-sound-null" it says

could not find module vm-sound-null

and aborts.

This is a VM that's freshly baked, from the standard
download-configure-make dance. An ls in the bld/ directory shows a
wealth of sound plugins: vm-sound-null, vm-sound-MacOSX, and so on.
Using any of these plugins fails, all because the VM "could not find
module vm-sound-FOO".

-help says

Available drivers:
  vm-display-custom
  vm-display-null

and you'll note the absence of any sound drivers there. The sad thing
is I don't even _care_ about sound. The machine runs CI jobs only. If
I could do without random Beep sounds, I'd be even happier.

So how do I find out what incantation I need to chant while
sacrificing the chicken, if I want to run an Interpreter VM on OSX?

Thanks!

frank

Re: How to run a Mac Interpreter VM without sound?

David T. Lewis

It sounds like you are compiling a Unix VM on Mac. I can't tell if this is
a build problem or a runtime problem. Does the official VM from
http://squeakvm.org/unix/ work on your build slave machine?

Dave

> The OS X (10.8.0) build slave I use for CI fails to run any
> interpreter-vm-using commands because of sound issues. If I use the
> arguments "-vm-display-null" it says
>
> squeak: could not find any sound driver
>
> and aborts.
>
> If I use the arguments "-vm-display-null -vm-sound-null" it says
>
> could not find module vm-sound-null
>
> and aborts.
>
> This is a VM that's freshly baked, from the standard
> download-configure-make dance. An ls in the bld/ directory shows a
> wealth of sound plugins: vm-sound-null, vm-sound-MacOSX, and so on.
> Using any of these plugins fails, all because the VM "could not find
> module vm-sound-FOO".
>
> -help says
>
> Available drivers:
>   vm-display-custom
>   vm-display-null
>
> and you'll note the absence of any sound drivers there. The sad thing
> is I don't even _care_ about sound. The machine runs CI jobs only. If
> I could do without random Beep sounds, I'd be even happier.
>
> So how do I find out what incantation I need to chant while
> sacrificing the chicken, if I want to run an Interpreter VM on OSX?
>
> Thanks!
>
> frank

Re: How to run a Mac Interpreter VM without sound?

Frank Shearar-3

I am using a Unix VM on a Mac. I guess that's not the right thing to
do, despite OS X being a Unix-like system? I don't care about visuals
or audio: I'm only interested in interacting with the image through
stdout/stdin so had thought that wouldn't be a problem.

I can _build_ the VM just fine. I just can't _run_ it, because
squeak.sh demands a sound driver, and I don't know why it can't find
one of the many that were built.

frank

On 8 September 2014 15:30, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It sounds like you are compiling a Unix VM on Mac. I can't tell if this is
> a build problem or a runtime problem. Does the official VM from
> http://squeakvm.org/unix/ work on your build slave machine?
>
> Dave
>

>> The OS X (10.8.0) build slave I use for CI fails to run any
>> interpreter-vm-using commands because of sound issues. If I use the
>> arguments "-vm-display-null" it says
>>
>> squeak: could not find any sound driver
>>
>> and aborts.
>>
>> If I use the arguments "-vm-display-null -vm-sound-null" it says
>>
>> could not find module vm-sound-null
>>
>> and aborts.
>>
>> This is a VM that's freshly baked, from the standard
>> download-configure-make dance. An ls in the bld/ directory shows a
>> wealth of sound plugins: vm-sound-null, vm-sound-MacOSX, and so on.
>> Using any of these plugins fails, all because the VM "could not find
>> module vm-sound-FOO".
>>
>> -help says
>>
>> Available drivers:
>>   vm-display-custom
>>   vm-display-null
>>
>> and you'll note the absence of any sound drivers there. The sad thing
>> is I don't even _care_ about sound. The machine runs CI jobs only. If
>> I could do without random Beep sounds, I'd be even happier.
>>
>> So how do I find out what incantation I need to chant while
>> sacrificing the chicken, if I want to run an Interpreter VM on OSX?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> frank

Re: How to run a Mac Interpreter VM without sound?

Bert Freudenberg

On 08.09.2014, at 21:43, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am using a Unix VM on a Mac. I guess that's not the right thing to
> do, despite OS X being a Unix-like system?

No, that should be fine, and is the sensible thing to do if you're running sans UI.

It's strange that it finds the display drivers but not the sound ones, if they're indeed in the same directory ...

Did you try passing the path to that directory via -plugins ?

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: How to run a Mac Interpreter VM without sound?

David T. Lewis

I don't know of any reason that it shouldn't work, but I don't have a Mac
and I can't say what the issue is.

My suggestion was to narrow down the problem by checking if a pre-built VM
from squeakvm.org/unix works. If the pre-built VM works, but your locally
compiled VM does not work, then you are probably dealing with some kind of
issue related to your development environment. If so, I'm sure we could
narrow the problem down from there.

Dave

> I am using a Unix VM on a Mac. I guess that's not the right thing to
> do, despite OS X being a Unix-like system? I don't care about visuals
> or audio: I'm only interested in interacting with the image through
> stdout/stdin so had thought that wouldn't be a problem.
>
> I can _build_ the VM just fine. I just can't _run_ it, because
> squeak.sh demands a sound driver, and I don't know why it can't find
> one of the many that were built.
>
> frank
>
> On 8 September 2014 15:30, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It sounds like you are compiling a Unix VM on Mac. I can't tell if this
>> is
>> a build problem or a runtime problem. Does the official VM from
>> http://squeakvm.org/unix/ work on your build slave machine?
>>
>> Dave
>>

>>> The OS X (10.8.0) build slave I use for CI fails to run any
>>> interpreter-vm-using commands because of sound issues. If I use the
>>> arguments "-vm-display-null" it says
>>>
>>> squeak: could not find any sound driver
>>>
>>> and aborts.
>>>
>>> If I use the arguments "-vm-display-null -vm-sound-null" it says
>>>
>>> could not find module vm-sound-null
>>>
>>> and aborts.
>>>
>>> This is a VM that's freshly baked, from the standard
>>> download-configure-make dance. An ls in the bld/ directory shows a
>>> wealth of sound plugins: vm-sound-null, vm-sound-MacOSX, and so on.
>>> Using any of these plugins fails, all because the VM "could not find
>>> module vm-sound-FOO".
>>>
>>> -help says
>>>
>>> Available drivers:
>>>   vm-display-custom
>>>   vm-display-null
>>>
>>> and you'll note the absence of any sound drivers there. The sad thing
>>> is I don't even _care_ about sound. The machine runs CI jobs only. If
>>> I could do without random Beep sounds, I'd be even happier.
>>>
>>> So how do I find out what incantation I need to chant while
>>> sacrificing the chicken, if I want to run an Interpreter VM on OSX?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> frank

Re: How to run a Mac Interpreter VM without sound?

Frank Shearar-3

Trying the Official VM means installing freetype ("dyld: Library not
loaded: /Users/Z/Desktop/FreeType//lib/libfreetype.6.dylib"), which is
a bit beyond my limits right now.

However, rebuilding the interpreter VM, I see this:

/Users/jenkins/workspace/SqueakTrunk-OSX/target/Squeak-4.10.2.2614-src-32/Cross/plugins/Mpeg3Plugin/libmpeg/video/slice.c:74:
warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
Undefined symbols:
  "_sqMemoryBase", referenced from:
      _primitiveMPEG3Open in Mpeg3Plugin.c.o
      _primitiveMPEG3CheckSig in Mpeg3Plugin.c.o
ld: symbol(s) not found

Which is odd. The build slave isn't something I develop on, or really
even use for anything other than a a build slave. I've not updated the
machine, installed or uninstalled any libraries, or similar things in
a long, long time. The Interpreter VM it _used_ to have (used to,
because I just deleted it so I could build a new one!) I built using
CI. And now it seems that indeed my development environment is broken,
even though I don't recall breaking it.

So I'll sit and think about this a while, and see if I can delve
around the list archives and find out what I need to do.

frank

On 8 September 2014 21:16, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know of any reason that it shouldn't work, but I don't have a Mac
> and I can't say what the issue is.
>
> My suggestion was to narrow down the problem by checking if a pre-built VM
> from squeakvm.org/unix works. If the pre-built VM works, but your locally
> compiled VM does not work, then you are probably dealing with some kind of
> issue related to your development environment. If so, I'm sure we could
> narrow the problem down from there.
>
> Dave
>

>> I am using a Unix VM on a Mac. I guess that's not the right thing to
>> do, despite OS X being a Unix-like system? I don't care about visuals
>> or audio: I'm only interested in interacting with the image through
>> stdout/stdin so had thought that wouldn't be a problem.
>>
>> I can _build_ the VM just fine. I just can't _run_ it, because
>> squeak.sh demands a sound driver, and I don't know why it can't find
>> one of the many that were built.
>>
>> frank
>>
>> On 8 September 2014 15:30, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> It sounds like you are compiling a Unix VM on Mac. I can't tell if this
>>> is
>>> a build problem or a runtime problem. Does the official VM from
>>> http://squeakvm.org/unix/ work on your build slave machine?
>>>
>>> Dave

re: How to run a Mac Interpreter VM without sound?

ccrraaiigg

Hi Frank--

> So I'll sit and think about this a while, and see if I can delve
> around the list archives and find out what I need to do.

     Step through the plugin loading logic in gdb? I've had to do that a
couple of times over the years, and it was the only apparent way to find
and fix the problem.

-C

--
Craig Latta