How to set timeout for a specific web service in VW7.10 SOAPResponder

How to set timeout for a specific web service in VW7.10 SOAPResponder

MarkPetersen
Hi,

We are using the new VW7.10 web services and have run into an issue with one of our services.  It takes a fairly long time to complete the service (>30 seconds) so we're running into timeout issues.  We've been scanning methods and docs and do see where timeout can be specified.  We see we can specify timeout on the client side using NetClient>>timeout: 90, which seems to get us further than not specifying, but we still get an exception at 30 seconds that says  "Unhandled exception: Operation now in progress".  This seems more like a warning which is good but if we hit the Proceed button we get another exception "MNU: #encoder", which is not good.  Even if we wait a bit and hit Proceed, we get the same exception.

Anyone know the best way to set the timeout for a specific web service without changing for the whole web server timeout?  Best solution would be to specify on the server for a specific service since the user wouldn't know the timeout needs to be more than 30 seconds, which seems to be the default timeout.  But even a client side solution would be ok at this point.

Thanks
Mark Petersen
mpeterse@us.ibm.com

Re: How to set timeout for a specific web service in VW7.10 SOAPResponder

Kogan, Tamara
Hi Mark,

In web services we set timeouts for reading socket streams but not for writing in to them. The exception  "Unhandled exception: Operation now in progress" is not coming from WS server. I am wondering if it is from database operations. You should be able to catch it if you set a breakpoint in Responder>> dispatchRequest: pathString method: method version: version connection: connection in Error handling block.

Setting client timeout:
client := TimeClient new.
Client transportClient clientPI timeout: 90.

On the server side the timeout is set for reading socket streams in
HttpConnection>> initializeStreams
The  SiouX-Tools helps to change connection timeout  for a listener but it doesn't help in your case.

Try to find out where the first exception is coming from.

Tamara Kogan
Smalltalk Development
Cincom Systems

Re: How to set timeout for a specific web service in VW7.10 SOAPResponder

MarkPetersen
Thanks Tamara.  I'll pass the info on to Deyan.

Mark